Coleman / Fleetwood Lift system issue (whiffletree Delrin nut stripped)

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by Medic274, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Medic274

Medic274 New Member

So, I bought a '99 Coleman/Fleetwood SunValley a few weeks ago, canvas looked great, overall condition was very good! PO's claimed to use it frequently, but closer examination seems to indicate it had sat for some time. One of the cables had snapped, so we got it for a good price, and thought we were getting a great deal requiring only a bit of work.
    I replaced the snapped cable, put some grease on the threads, silicone on the cables, and cranked the top up, had it set up for a week or so, then we were going away for an 8 day trip, so closed it up. When we got back, went to set it up again, cranked the top up about a foot, then swoosh! Top dropped right back down! Turning the crank, the whiffletree threaded rod was turning, but the nut wasn't lifting. This is the whiffletree type with the Delrin Nut, and it was obviously stripped. Well, after being mad at the PO's [:(!], mad at Fleetwood for using a plastic nut [?:~{], and ultimately mad at myself for not checking it closer [V], I searched for replacement parts. The local RV dealership said they cringe when someone calls in with issues with Coleman's [:(O], and said they did not know where to find parts, did not know any shops nearby that would fix it, and that my best bet would be to search online. I had already searched these forums, and had seen a few sites that sell aftermarket replacement whiffletree assemblies, but we're planning a camping trip for Labor Day weekend, and couldn't wait for shipping. I came across this thread :
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=71156.0;topicseen
    This was a fairly straightforward fix, decent replacement, and not counting tools that I needed, the parts cost <$10 ! For this price, if this lasts one season, I can replace every year, but I am thinking as long as I stay on top of greasing it, this will last quite a while. I just want to thank b1pig for his post! [A]

2. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

Beckely's RV in Maryland bought the parts stock when Coleman/Fleetwood dissolved.

3. chipperone1

chipperone1 Member

Glad it all worked out for you, as an FYI - that all thread rod is grade 2 - just as strong as a regular length/height grade 2 nut - a coupling nut is way overkill and will be harder to keep lubed. Actually as far as a regular grade 2 nut/all thread combo is concerned, the all thread is in fact the weaker link and will strip before the regular sized nut ever does. With a coupling nut it will never strip, you will strip the threaded rod first. My point is if you had/have a regular nut on hand the repair could/can still be made and be just as strong. This info is intended to help the next person who needs this repair and is not meant to take away from your success. [2C]

4. tim2red

tim2red New Member

Medic, I had the same problem and my trailer is newer 2007. I was on a long trip from the Mid-West to Alaska. It broke in Montana. Now I can't find a dealer that has the time to fix it, so, I am searching for parts and do it yourself ideas. I think this Forum has already helped. I just need to replace the Whiffle Tree.

5. Tj Fisher

Tj Fisher New Member

Im looking for which forum you speak of as my whiffle tree just did tge same an i have 2 days to get my canper up and running

6. Tj Fisher

Tj Fisher New Member

Im looking for the forum or tge process you used to fix it for 10.00 i just got the pup and my family and i are set to go camping friday. Ive been rackibg my brain on how to rig the system

7. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Here ya go.
    http://www.campersolutions.com/home/videos

8. Tj Fisher

Tj Fisher New Member

Tgis video is showing the maitnance and up keep. Im looking for how tge person fixed it with a homade rod and nut. Keep the tips comming though thank you

9. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

If you just want to get thro this weekend than get a cheep boat winch and hook all 4 of the cables to it. The hardest part of this mod is finding away to mount the winch. Probably need to add a board to the bumper. This way you can do the proper repair later.

10. Tj Fisher

Tj Fisher New Member

I was thinkibf thavt but if im gonna donthat ill do electroc winch

11. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

This is just a *bit* more than a 10.00 fix, but if all else fails, <CLICK HERE>.

12. Tj Fisher

Tj Fisher New Member

I think im gonna bag the whiffle tree all together and go with a atv winch

13. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

A new winch is a lot of mods. The delrin nut is actually pretty easy to manufacture. You can make one out of UHMW. The only hard part is having it threaded. The wiffle tree uses an ACME thread, but a good machine shop would be able to thread it for you. You might have to get the material for them, but I'm sure it could be made in a few minutes.