Coleman Lantern - my winter project this year

Discussion in 'Lighting, Interior and Exterior' started by thethird152, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

Very nice Kay! Btw protect that globe it’s worth more then the lantern.

Katskamper likes this.
  2. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

ive never had a case before. i slipped a metal screen over the glass to help protect it.

all my other lanterns use the metal screen, no glass.

3. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Did you spin the little cleaning lever and return it to the correct position? That lever will block gas flow if not in the open position. If someone tried to burn gasoline or some other fuel, the generator might be clogged and needs to be replaced.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  4. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

I’m actually taking 2 of the big het lanterns I own,and am going to electrify them for our rec room. I own way more than I need,so why not do something interesting with them? Lol! Our theme in this room will be an outdoor/woodsy theme.

5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

So, this is my first rodeo redoing a 413G stove. Picked it up at a church garage sale. It sat for years with fuel in the tank and is full of rust. Tank date code is 867. What is the best way to get the check valve out of the bottom of the pump tube? It's been soaking in PB Blaster for a couple of days. Tried a 1/2" spade bit (saw on Youtube) in a little 12v Bosch impact, but that did not help. Ideas?

[​IMG]

6. Bowman3d

let It soak some more. Patience is your friend. You can buy a tool from Old Coleman Parts that is made for cv removal but they are over $30. Do you actually need to remove it if it works leave it.

7. WrkrBee

I don't know. I'm prepping for a vinegar soak. The cap (I reworked the tank cap seat and a new o-ring in the cap) and pump is below the threaded generator port. With the cap reworked and a wine cork in the pump tube, I'll see if I can flip the tank over during the soak to get the top rust. Unless you have another idea.

8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

What is the vinger for?

9. WrkrBee

Rust remover, per the web. I've used it to clean rust off cast iron wares before. Other ideas?

10. Sjm9911

Evapor rust. Will work 1 million times better and non toxic and reusable. I used ot when i did some model train restorations. For paint, use ez off. The name brand. Put the item in a plastic bin, spray it with ez off and cover with a black bag . Put in the sun for a day. Wash off with a green scrub pad in the slop sink . I cant see the image, so not sure what you need done.

11. Sjm9911

This is intresting

12. WrkrBee

Yes, it was. Decisions - decisions.

13. Bowman3d

Vinegar will work but you need to rinse it with a baking soda solution to neutralize the vinegar and then fill with cf or spray with wd40 (any type of rust inhibitor will do)to keep it from flash rusting.

14. WrkrBee

15. Sjm9911

The crud cutter did good in the video! I would use that or the evoper rust. The evapor rust is reusable. Just pour it back in a bottle. It turns color when it will not work any more. You have more choices now! Dont use the old fashioned navel jelly. It dosent work and is caustic. The evopr rust is safe for paints and plastics but will remove gun blueing.

16. WrkrBee

Since Krud Kutter is water based, it should be easy to wash out. Then dry the tank for a couple of days in the sun.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  17. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

I’ve got several Coleman lanterns. About to start remodeling our family room. There are 2 ceiling lights that are not going to be used. Thinking of using old Coleman lanterns,and making them electric. They’ll mostly be used as accent lighting,as there will be plenty of other lighting.

18. Bowman3d

Hot rod camper, Are you going to use the lanterns for actual light or just mood lighting? If you just want the look they make an led adapter that fit in the burner that let you convert them without ruining the lantern. I inverted a 5120 but did it so it can be easily converted back. I have a few lantern also. C65E537C-4D6E-48EF-8C44-52DF52F2C20A.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    WrkrBee likes this.
  19. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

I’ll use them for mood lighting. They’ll be hanging from the ceiling where lights are now. Going to use 2 of my big hat lanterns. Collected lanterns for several years,and they’re just collecting dust. Might as well do something with them.