Coleman lift system adjustment help

Kristen Gill

Nov 10, 2020
I’m looking for some advice on our 1998 Coleman Fleetwood Mesa

Over the weekend my husband opened up the lift system under the trailer. We’re having some minor roof closing issues. He found that there are 4 eye bolts connected to the 4 cables. They’re not adjusted the same and are not adjusted right up against the bar the pulls the system. Also when lifting, the bar twists (see pic) instead of staying flat. I assume that’s not right?

Do the eye bolts and nuts need to be tightened? And should they be even?

I have looked at the Coleman repair guide but can’t find anything that specifically tells me these answers.
Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• 44E54ADD-DDF6-4980-A469-E82F3C35FC69.jpeg
    44E54ADD-DDF6-4980-A469-E82F3C35FC69.jpeg
    331.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 5B85EBDF-F2B6-494A-ADE1-DD1010A00564.jpeg
    5B85EBDF-F2B6-494A-ADE1-DD1010A00564.jpeg
    205.5 KB · Views: 50

McFlyfi

Super Active Member
Aug 1, 2014
Thousand Oaks CA
He found that there are 4 eye bolts connected to the 4 cables. They’re not adjusted the same and are not adjusted right up against the bar the pulls the system. Also when lifting, the bar twists (see pic) instead of staying flat. I assume that’s not right?

When the cover plate is on, it keeps the bar from twisting, acting as a bearing surface. You need to clean that gunk off the bar and grease the bar, the drive screw, and the cover plate.
It looks like you've got the roof in the up position. This is a big no-no! The bar rides on the plate. Put the cover back on (if you can) and lower the roof. Then clean and grease the whole thing. Then move on to :

It's not about whether the eyebolts are the same, it's about whether the cable lengths are the same. The eyebolts adjust the cable lengths so that the roof is at the correct height and the lift arms are all the same height (flat, level roof when up). To determine whether you need to adjust the eyebolts, you need to have the roof up (whiffle tree cover on!)- measure the height of each lift post, then adjust any eyebolts as necessary to bring the lift post to spec.

Last edited:

Del Kelso

Jun 11, 2020
Saint Charles, Missouri
i just went thru the same thing. do a search for this thread to see my solution and a better solution.
2008 Fleetwood Sun Valley - Questions about Lift System
also, make sure that the beds are fully pushed in and the bed rails are fully retracted. my passenger side rail catch's sometimes and i have to lift it up. also, make sure that the canvas isn't bunched up...i try to fold my very carefully to get it to be flat as possible.

and to be honest, the roof still doesn't lower all the way down onto the box without using the roof latch's to pull it down. i think that is okay as long as there isn't a lot of tension...if there is, you could pull the roof latch screws out of the roof.

Kristen Gill

Nov 10, 2020
Thanks! We’re going to set it up again and measure to make sure everything is at the right height. Who knows with it being so old!

Del Kelso

Jun 11, 2020
Saint Charles, Missouri
Kristen,

i just took another look at the pictures you provided. i should have noticed that the cable in the farthest right as pictured has non-factory attachments to the cable. a reasonable person could speculate that this cable has been replaced by an amateur, not a problem if it is working. i would be tempted to buy a crimping tool and replace whatever that non-standard connector is called with a crimp on connector like the other cables. just saying. (full disclosure: i am not an expert in Coleman / Fleetwood lift systems, just a guy that owns one and has messed around with it).

having adjusted the lift height of my PUP, i can tell you that it really isn't that bad a process to go thru, unless you are in a rush (which you probably are given that it is camping season). just take your time...

delkelso

ps - let me add that (in my opinion), PUP's are kind of fragile and need a lot of love. but the cost of a new RV, (which will also have issues with the roof leaking and things not working, not to mention the expense of the required mega tow vehicle) makes that a little more palatable. i think a lot of folks fixate on the setup / take down process at camp (admittedly, more difficult than a travel trailer), but forget about the relatively low cost of ownership, ease of towing, ability to store in the garage. i'll take a well maintained older PUP any day over a shiny new travel trailer. of course there are a lot of folks who don't feel that way. one of my buddies just spent $75,000 on an airstream trailer and probably another $50,000 on an F150 tow vehicle. wonder what that works out to on the cost of camping out per night? to each, their own.

Indyandy474

May 8, 2021
Spencer Indiana
I’m looking for some advice on our 1998 Coleman Fleetwood Mesa

Over the weekend my husband opened up the lift system under the trailer. We’re having some minor roof closing issues. He found that there are 4 eye bolts connected to the 4 cables. They’re not adjusted the same and are not adjusted right up against the bar the pulls the system. Also when lifting, the bar twists (see pic) instead of staying flat. I assume that’s not right?

I have looked at the Coleman repair guide but can’t find anything that specifically tells me these answers.
Thanks for any advice!
It should be greased, the bar will ride on the cover when this compartment is closed, I even greased the inside of the lid where the bar travels, it made cranking a little easier

Jwwiff

Jul 16, 2015
I just replaced one of the cables on my ‘07 Bayside because I wanted to lift it “only a foot or so” without thinking about leveling first...snap.... order cable from coleman popup parts...then download the above reference document... then fix....

1) always level first, then raise the roof, then put the corner supports down... always. Use a level on the frame to make sure you are level. Being out of level puts binding on the posts as they raise up and too much can result in a snapped cable.
2) Be kind to your wiffletree - lots of grease! On the threaded rod, on the cover plate, and never raise or lower the top without the cover plate off as the wiffletree rides on the plate.
3) If things appear to be binding, back off and check your level
4) Lubricate the pulleys under by the whiffletree, on the corners, and in the posts. Use a dry lubricant, not WD-40 or anything wet. Those areas will collect road debris (or in our case, dust as we live on a gravel road).
5) There are several points for adjustments that can be made, if necessary. The whiffletree is one if for some reason one corner is out of whack. The other places are on the corner pulleys. Normally this adjustment is done once in a lifetime unless you have to do what I did and replace a cable. In that case, make the new corner match the other ones.

Just remember, someone built it so in the case that something breaks, it usually can be fixed. Most wear items are out there on eBay or coleman popup parts. The only thing hard to come by are the exterior body panels (and ABS roofs!).

Indyandy474

May 8, 2021
Spencer Indiana
I just replaced one of the cables on my ‘07 Bayside because I wanted to lift it “only a foot or so” without thinking about leveling first...snap.... order cable from coleman popup parts...then download the above reference document... then fix....

1) always level first, then raise the roof, then put the corner supports down... always. Use a level on the frame to make sure you are level. Being out of level puts binding on the posts as they raise up and too much can result in a snapped cable.
2) Be kind to your wiffletree - lots of grease! On the threaded rod, on the cover plate, and never raise or lower the top without the cover plate off as the wiffletree rides on the plate.
3) If things appear to be binding, back off and check your level
4) Lubricate the pulleys under by the whiffletree, on the corners, and in the posts. Use a dry lubricant, not WD-40 or anything wet. Those areas will collect road debris (or in our case, dust as we live on a gravel road).
5) There are several points for adjustments that can be made, if necessary. The whiffletree is one if for some reason one corner is out of whack. The other places are on the corner pulleys. Normally this adjustment is done once in a lifetime unless you have to do what I did and replace a cable. In that case, make the new corner match the other ones.

Just remember, someone built it so in the case that something breaks, it usually can be fixed. Most wear items are out there on eBay or coleman popup parts. The only thing hard to come by are the exterior body panels.

I saw some body panels on Coleman pop up parts website. Front and back and both sides, didn’t look like the had them for every model though