Coleman Mach 8 Diagnosis

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by phoodieman, Jun 5, 2019.

1. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

I put a Coleman Mach 8 on the Yuma a little over a year ago. I plug into an outlet on the back porch to work on it and do pre trip readys. I have done this before and ran the AC and everything worked OK. A couple of weeks ago I was setting up to get ready for a few trips in July. I plugged in and started the AC and it kept tripping the GFCI. So I moved it to the backyard shed power. The breaker held in there and the blower works, but I have no cool air. I don't hear the compressor kick in. The power is on a 30 amp breaker so I'm pretty sure the electrical is there. I don't think it is the capacitor. When I put a voltmeter on it the resistance starts out at zero then climbs up to infinity. So I'm thinking I have a leak and there isn't any freon in the system but how do you check? There isn't a schrader valve to put a gage on. I bought it off Ebay. A remanufactured unit. It had a one year warranty on parts but that is out. Any HVAC persons have some advice?

phoodieman

2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

The capacitor is normal. Check your voltages with the unit running. Without a charging port, you have no way of knowing if there is refrigerant in the system.

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

You should not have a leak, this is a sealed system and normally do not leak.
    The way to check is with a leak detector, and probably the cost of one would not make it worth buying just to check one AC. It sounds like a voltage problem also the GFCI could be faulty.

4. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

I'm not on the GFCI circuit. That was what I originally tried. I moved to a 30 amp plug, so it's not that.

I agree, I shouldn't have a freon leak. The unit is only a year old and as far as I can tell it hasn't suffered and damage that would cause one. What about putting one of the add on piercing valves on the low side? They are about five dollars. Then I could put a gage on it.

If I run the unit and check across the leads of the capacitor what should the meter read? (In voltage or resistance).

So if the capacitor is good and it has freon, and the squirrel cage is running then it would be that the compressor is bad?

phoodieman

5. dabsond

dabsond Member

Check the compressor starter. I had to swap mine out and mine came back to life.