Coleman Mach Heatstrip no longer avail?

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by satown210, Aug 7, 2011.

1. satown210

satown210 New Member

I have a 95 Coleman and the A/C seems to be original. I have the manuals but looking in those and searching online has told me nothing about the system. I have no idea how many BTUs it is. I also have been looking for a heat strip kit, but it appears that no one has one anymore. Are they no longer avail?

2. Dammitjim

Dammitjim New Member

Dude, call Coleman and they'll give you answers to your questions. I called them and they were super helpful! I think the number is: 316.832.4357
    Good luck!

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

4. tsc

tsc Member

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Sorry, I keep forgetting Coleman makes heating/cooling stuff.

6. Dammitjim

Dammitjim New Member

If you are looking for just the heat strip, you can buy that by itself as a kit ('cause you'll have to change your ceiling unit's wiring a little bit). Is yours a Coleman Mach I?
    Remove your shroud and you should be able to get the label of the A/C you have.

7. satown210

satown210 New Member

sorry for the late reply. I will get the info here in the next few days. I need to add a heat strip soon. Next trip will be a winter one and I will be out of town for a while. So I need to get the camper ready now.

8. satown210

satown210 New Member

All I found it is a Coleman 7300 Series

9. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Consider a stand alone 1500 watt electric heater.
    One that oscillates.

10. satown210

satown210 New Member

I know a heatstrip won't warm up the interior but are they really that ineffective?

11. mv520

mv520 Member

They are not ineffective - they add the exact same overall warmth a ~1500W portable space heater would add (which is actually a lot more warmth than one would first expect it to provide in a canvas & vinyl walled room). The general problem is the "perception of warmth" because the airflow coming out of the roof A/C w/ heatstrip is very high, and that huge volume of slightly warmed air (as opposed to a lower volume of hotter air from a portable space heater) gives the perception the heat strip doesn't work to well. But the overall heat added (BTU's) are the same. So just need to understand the rapidly blowing air is going to give a wind chill effect. But a small portable ceramic heater (ceramic for safety as opposed to glowing wires) is a lot cheaper than a heat strip, and you can use it in other places when not needed in the PUP.

12. Bignix13

Bignix13 New Member

I too am looking at adding the "optional" heater strip for my AC unit. I took the inside cover off my coleman unit and the part number I see is a 7330-714. After doing a little research I see that the optional heater kits is part number 60387. First is this the correct kit to be added on. Second, does anyone have any idea where I can find it one, because I like *satwon210* can not seem to find it anywhere. Third, how hard are they to install.

Also, what coleman unit is this?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

13. rjniles

rjniles Member

14. satown210

satown210 New Member

I called PPL and they said to order the 67306 Kit. I ordered it and in the meantime, I got an email from Coleman stating the heat strip kit I needed was 6798-3221 and was obsolete. They said no other kit would work. I called back PPL and spoke to someone else and they said that was true. They cancelled my order. My A/C has two low fan settings, one high fan, then low and high cool. Others are saying then I can install a heat kit and it will convert one of the low fan to low heat. I am wondering if I should just order it and try.....

15. azbirddog42

azbirddog42 Bullhead City, Arizona

On my Coleman the first low switch is the heat strip. FYI, the heat strip will take the chill off, but not heat it up really high.. A little ceramic heat is what we use when it gets really cold. They work great if you have hook-ups..

16. Dammitjim

Dammitjim New Member

I don't know if this is against the rules of posting, but I have a heat strip I could sell you guys. I'm selling the PUP and I just installed a new A/C in it. I ordered the heat strip a couple of weeks ago and installed it, but haven't used it. PM me if you are interested in getting it. You are right, you have to change the knob and connect the heat strip.

17. DMsquared

DMsquared New Member

I remember having problems trying to find a heat strip for our N2U pup last year. If you look at the following link, http://www.go-rv.com/coast/do/catalog/page?dealerId=289&pageNum=561 It will show that the heat strip that you need is a 60387, that is a part number for go-rv. That heat strip kit is used on the 7330-xxx and 8330-xxx ceiling assemblies. Ours is a 8330-xxx, if I remember. And just another FYI that I have seen is that some part numbers that have a hyphen (7330-7361) at one point, the hyphen may have changed to a letter (7330A7361). I think I noticed that while looking for a part and the parts list had a hyphen and I found the exact same part with a letter "A" instead. In this link, it shows that the 60387 part number is just the order number of the catalog and it crosses to a Coleman 7330A7361, if you look down to where is shows the 60387
    http://www.go-rv.com/coast/do/catalog/page?dealerId=289&pageNum=250 I hope I explained that correctly. Also, check with Texas RV Supply on Austin Hwy, they are one of the dealers for go-rv.

Also, it is a very easy install. I love ours. It isn't a lot of heat, and we do carry a small ceramic heater, but it is nice to just turn the overhead A/C to heat to take the chill out. I'm glad that I got one for ours.

Mike

18. satown210

satown210 New Member

Thanks for the info. I called Texas RV on Austin Highway and they said they need the number off the lower panel once I take off the plastic interior piece.

19. Dammitjim

Dammitjim New Member

Yes, your ceiling assembly has to be heat ready