Coleman Niagara lift

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by Joe28443, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Joe28443

Joe28443 New Member

I just purchased a Coleman Niagara highwall and when we brought it home the electric lift worked fine.!I was out today and noticed I would. It raise. I tried using the manual jack and it would spin about 1/4 turn and stop. I pulled the cover off the tree. Everything looked ok, no loose cables. However this metal piece on the tree turns about 1/4 and hits the bottom of the camper. Why could be the problem?

Attached Files:

2. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

You can't crank up whiffletree with the cover off. it's meant to drag along the metal cover that you removed. Grease it and replace the cover. I don't have the automatic lift mechanism but I think your problem is there not the wiffle tree.

3. Joe28443

Joe28443 New Member

It was with the cover on, what do you think it might be?

4. kenquagliana

kenquagliana Member

When trying the hand crank, did you disconnect the plug at the rear bumper to disengage the dynamic break feature??? Roof latches unlocked??

5. Joe28443

Joe28443 New Member

Yes, Latches were unlocked And I unplug the remote.

6. kenquagliana

kenquagliana Member

Sorry. No. I was referring to a plug that should be found by following the lift motor wires through a hole in the rear frame. There is a plug type connector that needs to be disconnected when using the manual crank. Although you CAN crank it, while connected, it is quite difficult. It's possible you got a part turn out of it and thought it might be jammed.
    Also, in the electric mode you absolutely have to have a fully charged battery to lift and lower the roof on these Niagara's. I frequently use my tow vehicle to lower the roof when breaking down since my battery is slightly discharged in the late am.

7. Joe28443

Joe28443 New Member

Thanks for your input, I will try these when I get home this evening I will use my truck battery and disconnect the plug

8. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

Some don't have a plug (mine didn't)... The wires that need to be disconnected are between the controller and the lift motor, and the cover must be installed. Also, looks like a small mud wasp nest on one of your cables, clean that off while you're in there. Grease the inside of your cover plate before you reinstall it so the coupler can slide easily on it. Grease your jack screw.
    If it will only raise part way on electric, it's probably the battery feed wire to the controller, too small and too many scotch locks during assembly. I ran a dedicated 10 or 12 gauge wire from the battery directly to the motor controller on my Avalon to solve this issue.

9. Joe28443

Joe28443 New Member

Thanks i will do all those things, I spoke to a company here where I live and he said it’s probably jammed. He said Coleman had a very good system in place. If I can’t figure it out I will be taking it to him, I will try my hand at it first. Thanks again

10. Joe28443

Joe28443 New Member

Well, come to find out it was jammed. Got it loose then used the remote to crank and it moved slowly the. I noticed the wire smoking and it was very hot. Anyone know what may be the cause ?

11. TigerTom

TigerTom New Member

What was causing the jam? On the wiffletree screw? I have a similar problem (no automatic lift, just manual) when I raise my 2003 Coleman Fleetwood Utah and need about 2-3 inches to fit the door. Unfortunately, the spreader bar that is attached to the cables is only going about 4/5ths of the way down the wiffletree screw, then stops and I break the pin if I'm not careful.

12. Joe28443

Joe28443 New Member

I’m not really sure what caused the jam other than it was closed too hard. This was the first time setting up or trying too. I took it tons repair shop and he said the little grommet was on the wrong side of the washer and it stuck

13. jjsdad

jjsdad New Member

I'm starting to have this same issue. Before I took it out I did a maintenance on it and greased up the tree. Whike raising it i did break a pin that the Power Lift Coupler and the Tree. I replaced that with a new one.

The last time I took it out, it didn't raise the roof high enough to set the door in place. Didn't know that the Lift Motor had to be unplugged to hand crank it. Man that made it very difficult to crank. When I got home I read up about it, and come to find out the Lift Motor acts as a break once roof is raised. Good to know.

Now my issue is, the Lift Motor only raises the roof inches and stops. Took lift motor off and it runs fine up and down. To the crank assembly apart and the Thrust Nut, Thrust Bearing look fine. Bearing spines with no issues. The Power Lift Coupler had some rough edges on it and seemed to hit, possibly bind up on the Power Lift Mount. After sanding that down there was no more roughness on the Lift Coupler. Assembled everything back together and it still not working. I was thinking it might be the Power Lift Current Limiter, however again once Lift Moter is not connected to anything it runs fine, even while trying to hold lift motor shift with something to cause resistance.

I ran out of time yesterday to attempt to figure out the issue. I haven't tried hand cranking it up yet, due to i was unable to pull it out of my garage. Thats going to be my next step of action is to see if it will hand crank. I did inspect the wires and pulleys and nothing seems to be binding. However the rear cables and pulleys are under the sewage tank so I can really see them very well.

Has anyone had an issue with the power lift with a 2007 Niagara? I would love to get this figured out soon.