Coleman power lift not working

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by Rkymtndad, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Rkymtndad

Rkymtndad New Member

We have a 2007 Fleetwood Niagara. The electric lift is giving us trouble. Yes, I ran it once with it plugged in, but I don't associate that with the onset of the problem. The symptom is when we hit a button on the handheld switch we hear a click (solenoid?), but it doesn't run. Just recently found out if we unplug the current limit controller from the motor and then reconnect them, it works. Today, I checked it: it went up and down okay, but I thought I heard some binding on the way down, so I stopped it, raised it a little >> okay. Stopped it again, went to raise it >> no go. Did the plug disconnect/reconnect again >> running again.
    It has a new motor in it, but I know the shop that did it was using the system plugged in (they told me they always do!). Before I order a new current limit controller, I'm wondering if anyone can confirm that is the problem, and why disconnecting and reconnecting the motor seems to correct the problem.

2. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

The connection between the current limiter and the motor may be bad. Corrosion, weak wire, etc. When you remove it and plug it back in, the connection works.
    Before buying a new current limiter, I'd look at replacing the wire and connector between the limiter and the motor. Make sure the battery is fully charged
    Then I'd clean and re-grease the wiffle tree, and lube all lift posts and pulleys with dry lube spray.

Finally, I'd think about replacing the wiring from the converter to the limiter. I ran 10g landscape wire from the converter to the limiter, bypassing the 12-14g wire used. There is an exposed Scotchlock pigtail at the back of the trailer that serves the limiter, bypassing this with bigger wire solved all of my "clicking" lift motor problems. Others with Niagaras and Avalons have done the same thing, with great results.

Here was my solution:
    http://www.popupportal.com/threads/lift-motor-going-bad.117298/#post-1190959

Rkymtndad likes this.
  3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

An exposed scotchlock is trouble as with moisture it will corrode and increase resistance which increases amp draw. A current limiter? bypass it and try the lift. A current limiter is a circuit breaker that when overloaded kicks off and when cools down resets itself

Rkymtndad likes this.
  4. Rkymtndad

Rkymtndad New Member

Thank you both very much! I appreciate the quick replies and the link to your (McFlyfi) original post. I'm comfortable doing the wiring so I'll try to get it into the garage or just wait for a dry stretch. As long as I'm under there seems like a good time to clean and lube the whiffle tree too. Glad that I found this forum. Looks like there's a lot of good info here.