Coleman sagging roof brace help

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Gigs, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Gigs

Gigs Member

I've gotten some great help here in the past reading threads and I got a lot of encouragement and good advice when I tore the rotten front box off our 1997 Coleman Sun Ridge and rebuilt the front wall.

Well, I'm hoping people will be willing to chime in again and help me with their expertise and their thoughts. I have some Grizzly Grip in transit to me now, but first I want to shore up the roof on this same camper that has started to sag. I've searched all through the threads and seen some good examples of homemade braces made from unistrut.

I have some old angle iron type bed frames, and I'm considering welding that up into a brace. I expect it should be plenty strong. I can't really foresee any issues with using this instead of unistrut, but I wanted to get some opinions and to see if anyone out there has used something other than unistrut to make their braces.

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Bed rails are pretty strong

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. Gigs

Gigs Member

Thanks, Raycfe. That’s what I was thinking. Plus, I have enough, so it would be great to avoid spending the $160 or so on the unistrut.

If anyone else has opinions, or good reasons why I should not go the bedrail route, I’m all ears.

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Do it, your paint is on the way. Bed frames are strong as stated.

5. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

I'm sure the bed rails are strong enough. I only used unistrut because i can't weld, and it's easy to work with given the hardware that accompanies it. And being zinc coated i didn't feel the need to paint it. Looks good imo.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. Gigs

Gigs Member

Thanks, everyone. I’m hoping to get working on this frame Saturday morning. Like I did with the front box removal/front wall rebuild, I hope you make a new thread to show how I go about doing it so that hopefully others can learn what worked and what to avoid.

Sjm9911 likes this.