Coleman step door lock replacement

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by RogerCamper, Feb 22, 2011.

1. RogerCamper

RogerCamper New Member

Does any one know how to replace the lock on a 1980's Coleman step door? I found opinions on the forums, but no guidance on how to do it. Do I need to take the door apart? Will the pieces fall inside the door when I open it? Should I take the door to a locksmith?

This is a similar lock to the one I have:

[​IMG]

2. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

Why do you want to replace it? I believe you need to take the door apart to do that.
    Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

3. RogerCamper

RogerCamper New Member

It is broken. Take it apart uh? I was afraid you would say that.

4. pixel

pixel Campers: Nature's way of feeding mosquitoes. Unkn.

Hello

First, is it broken? If not leave it alone.

If it is broken or does not close, only then would I consider doing it. It is not just replacing the mechanism.

This is not a do it your self job. This involves taking the whole door apart and changing the lock mechanism. We had to do this, and luckily our pup was still under warranty. It would have cost about $400.00.

The only reason I would not do it your self, is that with the situation of Coleman/Fleetwood, you need a professional to do it who has been trained (I would even go to a former dealer). Parts are hard to come by, and until that gets figured out; going to a dealer to repair the door is the safest option.

Good Luck. If you have any other concerns or questions, email me. It is a big job.

~Pixel

5. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

The door is held together with pop rivets. A pop rivet tool is pretty inexpensive. It is just a matter of drilling out the rivets along the top and sides of the door assembly. You should be able pull the outer skin away from the door to access the latch assembly and arms. I did this because one of my latching bars fell down inside of the door and I had to open it up to get the arm back up and into the opening. I just bent the sides in a little to prevent them from falling inside again. Total time to drill out a dozen rivets, put the arm back in place and re rivet the door was about ten minutes tops. You do have to make sure you have the correct size rivets. If you do a search for coleman stepper door. You should be able to find several threads on repairing and replacing this latch assembly. Sorry but I didn't take any pictures of my repair. It was done before I thought about it. If you know how to use a pop rivet tool, this repair job is pretty easy.

ezakoske likes this.
  6. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

It's just like RhinoDave says- drill out some rivets & replace them afterward. I used a pneumatic cutoff wheel when I scrapped my Coleman. The lock(and keys) and arms are still on my workbench.

If you're handy you could cut an access hatch and rivet it back when you're finished. then again you may not want to look at a patch panel there.

7. RogerCamper

RogerCamper New Member

Thanks, I get the idea. I will take pictures of what I decide to do for future reference

8. capy235co

capy235co Member

One thought for you. When I fist got my Coleman I thought the lock was broken. Turns out it wouldn't latch because the door was slightly sagging. Lift up on the bottom of the door and everything lines up and it locks. Still have not fixed it. Too easy to just lift up a tad.

9. bconrey

bconrey Member

I have a newer Coleman pup that uses the same lock that I had to replace upon purchasing our camper. Although the specifics were different, the basics were as described by RhinoDave - drill, remove, replace, and re-rivet.

10. RogerCamper

RogerCamper New Member

The turning knob broke off and there are no keys to it. I never used a rivet machine and I don't have one, but it doesn't sound too complicated.

The purpose of the lock is just to keep the door from opening while moving right? I could just install a second lock on the outside of the door. Something like this one, maybe smaller:

[​IMG]

11. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

The latching mechanism turns latching bars into both sides of the door. You would have to buy one for each side of the door and they would probably cost as much as a pop rivet tool and a small assortment of rivets. In my opinion, they would be both flimsey and tacky looking. There is nothing but the outer skin to screw into unless you take the door apart anyway to reinforce the mounting points for the latches. This tool along with a package of aluminum rivets is all you need to put the door back together

12. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I had to replace some rivets and the hardest step is finding the correct size drill bit. Putting the rivets back in is easy. Just make sure to find the correct size rivets and drill bit. Before installing the rivets place one in the hole to make sure it fits correctly before installing it.

13. RogerCamper

RogerCamper New Member

RhinoDave, wow, the tool is really cheap. I could go that route. Do I need to detach the door from the trailer to do that?

14. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

You do not have to remove the door. It just has to be unlatched and propped at an angle you can work at to access the top of the door assembly. There was a thread that showed how the door came apart, I'll see if I can find it.

15. mrafindley

mrafindley New Member

you need a #10 drill bit and 3/16 pop rivets 1/2 long big head

16. RogerCamper

RogerCamper New Member

Thanks, I will go look for those

17. benfrench

benfrench Woodbridge, VA

Please take pictures and post them, I am in a similar situation...

18. Lilly Schmiggles

Lilly Schmiggles New Member

I have a 1998 coleman sante fe. Samething just happened today. The lock stopped working. Drill out all the rivets, use a new sharp drill bit or you tear up inside causing other problems later, so all the top rivets and all the side rivets. Mine also had a lockable storage compartment below the door and the stop for that screwed to the bottom of my door so that had to come off also. Once that was all done, a little prying and the door shell came right off and the nuts that held down the lock cylnder housing from the screws that went through it were sitting at the bottom of the shell. I used red loctite and put iall back together. Got some rivets from Lowes 3/16 with a 5 mm head and i used some washers also for a nice fit. Riveted everything back together and done.

19. hughnormus

hughnormus New Member

Thanks for all the posts! I am in a similar situation and will need to take the door apart on my 1998 Coleman Mesa. The two screws holding the barrel lock are loose and will not tighten, also the latch arm on the left side no longer comes out of the door. So I am dependent on one lock arm. I will take some pictures and post when I do the work.

20. hughnormus

hughnormus New Member

I was able to fix this with no problem. Total job took about 60 min and was a piece of cake. Looks and works like new. The locking handle was loose and the left side of the latch fell into the door.

Drilled out 27 rivets, which were all but the bottom rivet on each side of the door. I left those two, because I could still pull back the front and fix the latch and not need another set of hands or clamps to align everything back together to rivet back together.

I put loctite on the threads, tightened down and also added a nylon lock nut to each bolt. Then I fed both latches through the slots, made sure the movement worked properly and riveted back together.

The one post said how difficult this would be and you would definitely need a professional. Not the case what-so-ever...