Coleman step door lock replacement

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by RogerCamper, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Hey im Jay

Hey im Jay Member

When I just bought mine recently the key was already broken inside I can't figure for the life of me how to get it out I do not have a pair of tweezers that small you get in there with this be something a locksmith could do without taking the door apart

Attached Files:

2. Fless

Fless Active Member

You could try a sharp pick or a couple of strong pins to work out the broken key. I did one yesterday in a file cabinet at work. If that doesn't work, check with a locksmith; bet they do this all the time.
    _

3. Hey im Jay

Hey im Jay Member

Thank you

4. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Try opening the door (if you can) and giving a sharp rap just behind the lock while holding the door so it can't move. Another option is to try a strong magnet, such as a mechanic's pickup tool.

5. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

For anyone needing to repair/replace their door lock/latches, the Popup Princess has a pretty good tutorial on how to go about it. I followed it and was able to get my latch on the left side working again (turns out it had just fallen and needed to be placed back in position.
    http://www.thepopupprincess.com/pop-up-camper-maintenance/replace-the-lock-on-your-pop-up-camper/

Door lock: https://colemanpopupparts.com/products/access-door-lock

Replacement keys (if you can get the old one out...): https://colemanpopupparts.com/search?q=key
    Not that hard a job - even if you have to replace the entire lock assembly.

good luck!

Erik

6. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

How about a drop of super glue on a blade of a screwdriver. Carefully put the blade together and let it set for a minute. Pull the key out, snap off the key.

7. up_north

up_north New Member

8. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Like mentioned.....2 sharp objects and grasp/pinch what looks to me as a bit of key protruding.....work it slowly but should come out.....short of that a locksmith should be able to do this.

9. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

A locksmith can definitely get the broken piece out (I am one). One thing I've used in the past is a "spiral scroll saw blade" that you gently slide in next to the key. Then twist it carefully to bind against the key and gently pull until you can grasp it with a pair of tweezers or needle nose pliers.

jnc and myride like this.