Coleman storage box rebuild

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Dylan, Nov 9, 2020.

  1. Dylan

    Dylan New Member

    Messages:
    18
    Likes Received:
    5
    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2018
    Hi there fellow campers.

    I have a 2000 coleman cheyenne. The original ABS roof shell is gone and it has grizzly grip now. I'm dealing with water damage in the storage bay which leaves a musty smell in the rest of the camper. I found that the plastic right by the hinge had some major cracks so I decided to put it in the garage to do some work.

    I tried plastic welding for the first time and was pretty successful. It's not going to be the prettiest thing but I still am happy with it. After plastic welding the cracks I decided to investigate the damage and found that the living space is mostly untouched but the storage box is pretty much rotted away. If I left it as is we may get one or two years out of the camper before it's just plain gone.

    My plan is to disassemble the plastic panels of the storage box, remove all the rotten wood, plastic weld any of the panels where it is needed and build up the storage box with all new wood from spare plywood i have around. I'm going to try to set it up so that I can use nice new deck screws all around, so that all the hardware is uniform. I am going to use 3m 5200 marine sealant on all seams. My goal is for the marine sealant to be the most expensive part of this, for it to look like the factory build, and for it to make the camper really last us a long time.

    I would love any thoughts and suggestions. I wish I got pictures before I started any work, but I just thought I was going to be plastic welding and got into a whole lot more than planned. I'm excited about it though.
     

    Attached Files:

  2. Dylan

    Dylan New Member

    Messages:
    18
    Likes Received:
    5
    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2018
    I also had some big cracks above the brake lights so here are more examples of plastic welding.
     

    Attached Files:

  3. Sjm9911

    Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

    Messages:
    7,862
    Likes Received:
    5,185
    Joined:
    May 31, 2018
    Location:
    Nj
    Good luck, the main problem of the storage box is it flexes in the wind. This causes the accordion track to split in the back. Also, after it rots the box pulls a bit from the boady opening up a crack where water gets in.
     
  4. Dylan

    Dylan New Member

    Messages:
    18
    Likes Received:
    5
    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2018
    You have me wondering if I could maybe block up a little behind the plastic so that when the wind pushes on it there will be more support to resist flexing so much. I thank you for pointing that out. I did notice the storage box sagging and as a result I sealed up the seam between the box and the body a few years ago. Definitely something to keep in mind for the rebuild, too. Thanks @Sjm9911
     
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. Dylan

    Dylan New Member

    Messages:
    18
    Likes Received:
    5
    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2018
    He are a mix of before and after pictures from fixing the front plastic cover for the storage box 20201109_173120.jpg 20201109_171432.jpg 20201109_171424.jpg 20201109_172705.jpg 20201109_172652.jpg 20201109_172005.jpg 20201109_171458.jpg
     
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. Sjm9911

    Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

    Messages:
    7,862
    Likes Received:
    5,185
    Joined:
    May 31, 2018
    Location:
    Nj
    Clean it up with some soft scrub and paint it. Or leave it rough! Lol.
     
  7. Dylan

    Dylan New Member

    Messages:
    18
    Likes Received:
    5
    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2018
    I haven't had much of a chance to do work lately but here is the update. I've pre cut some of the structure and sealed them with some leftover paint from our house. I still have a bunch of the smaller pieces to do but the 3 walls and the floor have been cared for. I installed the vinyl floor and the plastic strip that covers the crack between the holes and then secured the new floor to the frame 20201117_163257.jpg 20201117_152204.jpg 20201117_152159.jpg
     
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. Dylan

    Dylan New Member

    Messages:
    18
    Likes Received:
    5
    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2018
    I made some killer progress today. I started off with this process: measure, cut, paint, let dry, glue, staple, and then add a couple screws for security. It then became clear that it was more effective to remove the glue, then I could partially paint the wood where it was going to be covered, I would install it where it would need to go and then I painted the rest of the piece. I'm going to try to fiddle with adding the support to resist flexing in the wind but I'm very happy with how it turned out. 20201118_185536.jpg 20201118_185531.jpg 20201118_185711.jpg 20201118_185553.jpg 20201118_185543.jpg
     
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. kcormier19

    kcormier19 Member

    Messages:
    89
    Likes Received:
    36
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2017
    Location:
    massachusetts
    Its looking real good, keep it up and it will last you for years to come.
     
    Sjm9911 likes this.

Share This Page