coleman taos lift assembly problem

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by CJ Lee, Oct 10, 2014.

1. CJ Lee

CJ Lee New Member

Hi,

I am in a bit of a mess, I have a Coleman Taos and I like it very much unfortunately so did a mouse. The mouse built a house in the area that holds the waffletree of the camper lift system. Well that caused the waffletree to seize up and I, not accepting that the top was not going up, used all my strength on the crank assembly to get it up, well that caused the crank assembly to break. I have removed both the crank assembly and the waffletree from the camper. I am not able to get the crank assembly apart; the nut inside the drive hub extension has corroded to the drive shaft. I have cleaned the waffletree as best I can but I still cant get the piece that moves on the threads to move. That is my story now my question to you is any ideals?

Is there an alternate way to get the roof up other than 2x4s?

Does any one know of anywhere I can get the parts at a reasonable price?

RVWorkshop has a waffletree and this is what they say "Our tree is different; we think it's a bit better. Because we use fine thread rod with more threads per inch the roof goes up easier but it takes more turns. Also the weight of the roof will not cause the lift system to unwind. This means you must crank the system down, making the ratchet/clutch system unnecessary. To eliminate the system purchase the extension rod with the whiffle tree"
    I don't know what that paragraph means.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

3. Heritage

Heritage New Member

I had to replace mine too. Got a aftermarket whiffletree from Canvas Replacements. Better than original.

4. CJ Lee

CJ Lee New Member

I am finding that fixing this thing is an adventure. The only way I could get the drive hub extension off (part #12) was to cut it off. When I did I found that the nut (#13) had corroded to the drive shaft (#5) and there was no way I could have gotten it off. The repair kit for this (lower crank assembly) is $145. I did order a new whiffletree from RVWorkshop; according to their website I could use the extension they sell and avoid the crank assembly so I am going to try it. Tomorrow I am going to get back under the camper and try to put all this back together. I will see if what they say holds up (the camper top that is (-;) None of this seems to be rocket science but it is not self explanatory either.

5. davekkk

davekkk Active Member

I actually got a little hungry reading this being early morning. [:D] Sounds like you will be back in business in no time! I've seen posts on here of people using a drill to raise and lower after putting the new one in with more threads. Curious how it all works out as I know I will be in the same situation one day.