Coleman Taos Lift System Question

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by kingofthesasquatch, Sep 3, 2018.

1. kingofthesasquatch

kingofthesasquatch New Member

I know this lift system has been discussed to death. :) I've been using this site for about a year (you all are an amazing resource!), just now making an account as I have encountered a dreaded lift system failure...

The camper cranked up fine with the regular crank handle for months, when all of a sudden it would crank up but not come down. I'm thinking this is a stripped drive shaft (no real proof other than that is what it sounds like after reading some posts, I attached a picture of mine).

A couple of questions...

1. It is insanely hard to get the pin that hold the whiffle tree and drive shaft together! Is there a secret to this? Have I missed a video somewhere that details taking the whiffle tree off a Coleman/Fleetwood camper? I thought I had looked enough to see every video ever posted on these things but maybe not.

2. I am considering replacing the whole crank assembly, but am wondering if I should just replace the whiffle tree with the one from canvasreplacementparts. If I do this would I still need to replace the driveshaft? It seems to say it would bypass the crank assembly parts on their website, but I'm not exactly sure if that means the drive shaft and everything is irrelevant.

Thank you so much for your help!

Attached Files:

2. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    kingofthesasquatch likes this.
  3. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I found it easier to remove the whole crank assembly and put it in a vice to remove the roll pins.

4. kingofthesasquatch

I'll pick up those pin punches, that will definitely work better than what I have. Did you just attack it while laying underneath the popup or did you take the whole assembly off? Might be a stupid question. :) Wish I could flip the popup over, would make all of this much easier!

5. kingofthesasquatch

Thanks for the video! How do you take off the crank assembly without punching the pin at the very back (rear of popup) of the whiffle tree. Maybe I'm thinking about this wrong.

6. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

On mine the crank is to the left of the whiffletree connected with a chain. The whole drive hub assembly was riveted to the frame. I drilled out the rivets and replaced them with bolts.

7. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

On my repair I crawled under the camper and knocked out the pin without a huge amount of force. I guess I just got lucky as I know many had to really beat on it.

8. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

It is all pretty easy to do under the camper. Just lower the front all the way to the ground to give yourself as much room as possible. And use a long punch. Mine is only ~6" long and it would be easier with a longer punch. It only takes about 2 beers to remove the driveshaft and replace it.

jnc and kingofthesasquatch like this.
  9. kingofthesasquatch

Heading out with a punch this afternoon. Thank you to everyone for your help so far!