Coleman Taos Mattress replacement

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by IdahoPopUp, Aug 4, 2015.

1. IdahoPopUp

IdahoPopUp Member

Hi,
    I need to replace the mattresses in our 2002 Taos. I measured them at 47 X 71 X 3 inches. I have read lots of threads about types/quality of foam. I can't seem to find the correct size in a pre-made mattress. Does anyone have an online source where I can buy the correct size? Or is it possible to get a larger size to fit? For example Bed Bath and Beyond has 52 X 73 memory foam mattress. Looking to buy there because of their 20% off coupons.
    Open to all suggestions.
    Thanks for your time
    IPU

2. mdigby

mdigby New Member

I'd buy the larger size. Try it. You might be able to squeeze it in, since it's memory foam.

If not, use a tape measure and a square the a sharp knife or serrated (bread type )knife to cut the foam.

3. 4campers+g-kids

4campers+g-kids Member

There are a few places that will make a custom sized mattress, but you'll pay dearly for it.
    Memory foam can be cut to size easily with an electric knife. I picked up a cheap $12 one when I did our bunk. However-
    Check what you're planning to buy. A mattress and a mattress topper are two different animals. Toppers tend to be quite soft, and in 15 minutes you'll sink to the bottom and end up laying on the plywood. Most true memory foam mattresses I've seen run in the $250 and up range for a queen size. Plus they are 8" deep, way too large for a pop-up.
    I ended up buying the topper type foam. It was OK for a while, but during the night I'd wake up sore from laying on hard plywood. Looked into camper mats to lay on the plywood until we were gifted a brand new Serta mattress from a TT.
    Most here say the most comfortable combination for sleeping is an air bed with a memory foam topper. Deflate the air bed when lowering the roof so no issues with space.

4. IdahoPopUp

IdahoPopUp Member

Any suggestion on air mattresses?

5. IdahoPopUp

IdahoPopUp Member