Coleman was rear ended

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by da6driver, Aug 21, 2013.

1. da6driver

da6driver New Member

Last weekend on the way to a short camping trip, a tragedy occurred. We were towing our pop up and stopped a light. A Silverado slammed into a Suburban which then smashed the rear of our unlucky camper. We are glad to be uninjured, and all drivers have insurance. I am considering repairing the pop up, but am still on the fence.

All the mechanics still work properly including slide outs and lifts rails.

The camper is a 2001 Coleman seapine. Has anyone attempted a similar repair, or have any helpful suggestions? I am aware of the MEK/ABS repair method and have used it in the past. I was also wondering if anyone has a source for a replacement rear abs panel?

I will continue to wait for a response from insurance, but am fairly confident it will be totaled. If I chose to repair I will try to update with pictures. Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Indy

Indy Member

What a tragedy! I'm so sorry. Thank goodness everyone is ok and the damage is covered, but is heartbreaking to see.

3. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

What does insurance say to do? Will they fix it or is it a write off? You might get enough cash to buy another good used PUP!

4. vanjr

vanjr New Member

I agree with Ken. I assume it would be total loss. I have RV coverage separate from my car insurance and have no idea what it covers frankly!?!

5. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Is that your crank shaft sticking out the back bumper? I'd be worried about the whole lift system being bent just enough to bind when you try to use it. The boarding looks easy enough to repair, but I'm NO expert on sealing and fixing the outside.

Good luck, whichever decision you make! [A]

[:D]

6. PNW Family

PNW Family New Member

Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad that you're ok.

That's a lot of damage to the inside, too. That's double wall construction.. and then the bench got broken too. Looking at that I'm guessing it's a total loss.

Not all RV policies are the same. Mine is a rider on my auto insurance. If my trailer is totaled, the insurance company gives me the *original MSRP* from when it was new in 1993 (which is about 5 times what I actually paid for it).

And no, I'm not going to start brake checking people just so I can upgrade my pup... [LOL]

7. james13619

james13619 NewB Coleman Mesa

Looks like you got hit a little harder than we did... glad to hear everyone is OK

I had trouble with my crank mechanism after my hit. Finally had to get the shop to take it all apart. The crank had pushed the box/frame that holds it all together just a little; just enough for the ratchet pawl to fall behind the ratchet and allow the top to freewheel DOWN ... not pleasant. All OK now. But it costs me $1K deductible as we had not added it to Homeowner's insurance yet [only had it THREE DAYS]

[​IMG]

This bent my receiver hitch; but didn't do any internal damage to PuP and it didn't crash the fiberglass.

Good luck; post pictures of the rebuild

8. da6driver

da6driver New Member

Thanks for everyone's kind words. It was heartbreaking for us as well to have this happen, and we would really like to keep this PUP.

The crank is sticking out from the bumper, but was not hit. It still operates fine, so we got lucky with that.

We have not had a reply from the other driver's insurance yet. They came out to look at the damage and take pictures, but needed time to come up with an estimate or total value.

9. whitmw

whitmw New Member

I believe NADA now list camper values. If they decide to total it out, I would grab that, plus the asking price for the same model campers in your general area from RV trader, average the price from that, add 10%, tell the insurance company that's what you want, then offer to buy it back from them. When the smoke clears, you should have enough to fix the damage, provided you do the repairs yourself and pocket some. Dont forget to point out the loss of use of the camper when dealing with the adjusters. (adjusters are trained to settle for the lowest amount they can get away with, so don't be shy when dealing with them). No matter how nice they are, the adjuster is NOT your friend. Its their job. Don't mean to offend any adjusters on the site here, its their job and what they are supposed to do. You just have to be equally prepared to deal with them. I sound like one of the local lawyers. [LOL] [PU]

10. da6driver

da6driver New Member

I have an update. The PUP was totaled and we finally just received the payment from the insurance company. It was more than what we paid the the camper about a year ago, so we are happy with the amount. We chose to purchase it back from the insurance, which cost about 10% of their computation of fair market value.

I will perform all of the repairs, so work begins!

Removed the spare tire and the rear body panel to assess the damage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All broken interior cabinets and rear wood panel removed. I used thin wood paneling section from Home Depot that is not a perfect match and has lines, but close enough for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I could never find a source for the rear body panel, so I began lining up the cracks and started the fiberglass process.

[​IMG]

That should do it for now, more to come!!

11. da6driver

da6driver New Member

Worked more on lining up the cracks in the rear panel and continued to fiberglass the inside. I also carefully applied MEK/ABS solution to fill small gaps of the crack on the outside.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also removed the bent bolts that hold the spare tire from the support frame, and persuaded it to straighten out.

[​IMG]

Most of the parts to the cabinets were broken, so they will be traced and recut. Also had to straighten the metal dinette seat support (which was quite mangled) and reattached.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next up I will be finishing and reinstalling the rear panel and cutting and replacing the cabinetry.

12. justin.kerns

justin.kerns Member

13. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

I'm impressed. Looks good so far. You ever work at a body shop?

14. abbadackerygirl

abbadackerygirl Alabama...yeah it's better than you think.

Very nice!

15. qwed94

qwed94 New Member

very nice work. It sure takes time and lots of it. A few extra $$ help also. I have neither, but Its nice to see that some people have the talent/patience/skillset to do this.

Again great job. So far

16. Greg D Azman

Greg D Azman Member

Very sorry that this happened to you. Your repairs are looking great!

17. woobie

woobie My PUP is newer than my Tow Vehicle

Hi.

Ive seen the body panel web site before also. Midland RV, the pannels range $600-$1300. I am in the market for one also. For a 96 Bayport.

Woob.

18. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

Man that sucks!!! Looks good what your doing to it. Just think of the extra money you will have to go camping or add mods with. there is always good in everything. It just the inbetween that sucks. I would have keep the camper to. We tend to get attached to the campers we own. Enjoy the part of doin and you will have a great time when you get her done.

19. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Pmwfamily,

Do you mind if i ask what car insurance company you're with? Since we're and my auto ins is going up anyway, I'd love to check out a company who would offer that kind of coverage!

Thanks & good luck!!

:D

Sent from my Droid Razor Maxx, while NOT driving!!

20. da6driver

da6driver New Member

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments. I have never worked as a professional at body shop, but my father did for years. I have learned many valuable tips and tricks from him.

I had looked all over for a replacement rear panel, but had no avail. Plus the cracks were pretty clean so it was worth a shot to attempt the repair.

I actually finished the fiberglass and bought a can of krylon fusion to touch up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The steel rear bumper had been torn and stretched out by the accident. It was beyond repair. I contacted a local sheet metal shop about bending up a new on for me.