Coleman Westlake 2000, the good the bad and the ugly

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Sjm9911, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ok, so I started this off here as I have no clue what I'm doing. Lol. I bought the camper I think for a good price and dove right into it.

The good.
    It looks to be in ok shape. Canvas is soft and watertight even after washing with a hose. Inside looks clean and most of the box is sturdy . It also came with extra stuff, some I will use and some I will discard.

The bad.
    The unknowns. Nothing has been tested there is no hook up to test out the electric, I need to take off the propane bottles to see of there usable and inspect the hoses before turning them on. I might get to test the water later, but feel the connections will most likely leak, I hope they don't!
    I need to get a new water supply hose and regulator with a filter. The other one was too old. And I need a battery! Any ideas on what type of plug adapter is needed? Or are they all standardized ?
    The ugly.
    Besides me backing in the driveway for the first time I need to fix the abs roof. And on further inspection found rot on the side panel where the heater is. This is a must fix as the side panel is not conected securly. The waste storage door will also need to be replaced.

Stay tuned .and any help or advice is good.
    Btw, can I plug the a.c. into house power? Or backfeed the outlets? Just want to check if they work.

Attached Files:

2. Sjm9911

Ok is there exploded veiw diagrams for the systems? I don't want to rip half the pop up apart if there is an easier way, lol.
    The air conditioner works, that's the good news, bad news is when hooked up to water it leaked right behind the hook up spot. I took off the panel next to it thinking it was for the water hook ups but it was the vent for the fridge. So, I do need water. Any ideas how to access it without ripping everything out.

3. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

So, a 2000 isn't that old in these campers. You can get the battery connection from me here.
    http://www.campersolutions.com/store
    It is specific to Coleman campers.

The water leak might just be the connection behind the connection. There should be three screws to pull the fresh water connection off and tighten the hose clamp.

Don't back feed an outlet. I have no ides what that might do to your converter. You can buy an adapter from Walmart for cheap to plug it into your house. Everything should run fine off the house except the AC. To check that you can run a heavy duty extension cord to the plugin since they plugin separately.

Look through my website for some other advice including the parts manuals. Grease the wiffle tree is the most important thing I can suggest.

Have fun!

4. Sjm9911

Ok, well we think alike I guess. The water leak was behind the spigot. I advise everyone to get a spare and keep in with them. I went to 3 stores and no luck on the one I needed. I couldn't even kit bash one. But o dis find an alternative, it's for pex and a bit off sized but when you need it done .........new part is metal, old was plastic. Newer tap arm is shorter. We will see how it holds up, I plan to order a plastic spare to keep on hand. And if you need to do this the fitting was glued on as well as held by a c clamp. So , I needed to crush the plastic fitting to break free the bond before removing .

I also pit together an extension cord , the a.c. runs. Just a reminder , for this a.c. it's 20 amp 110. So you need a heavy cord and the correct 20 amp receptical , I happen to have one on hand. It needs to be powered by a 20 amp circuit . It may work on 15 amp, but you run the risk of burning down your home.

And thanks for the reply, I will order that part , and read over some stuff. Right after I Google wiffel tree, lol.

Attached Files:

5. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

smit1088 likes this.
  6. Sjm9911

Cool thanks, I'll get some red and tacky and get to the wiffel tree this weekend. Lol

7. Sjm9911

Ok water works now, Lol! Had it hooked up for a few hours no leaks, now.....do I remove the water heater? It was bypassed by the previous owner, that's where the water damage is? Is there a on demand type heater for these now? And I don't plan on camping in places without showers. So opinions welcome.

8. joet

joet Well-Known Member

And don't worry that your propane bottles are useable or not. Take them to Wallys and exchange them.. Do inspect the hoses for weather cracking...they are cheap insurance to replace

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. jnc

They do make an on demand water heater for camping.
    [​IMG]

tiffani hoffman likes this.
  10. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

The water heater was probably bypassed for the winter. You do that when you add RV Antifreeze to the system. There is no need to fill the water heater with antifreeze since you can just drain it and have no freeze problems, but the water system should be filled with antifreeze for the winter in cold climates.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  11. Sjm9911

Good to know, ill check on winterizing after it's fixed. Maybe I'll uninstall and check if it works.

12. Sjm9911

I just found out i need a sway stabilizer on my rig! Yes , I'm new here. Any recomandations? And will it work if I have computer controlled sway controll in my truck? It's a 2012 gmc Sierra, 4 door , bigger v8 with tow package.

13. jnc

Why do you need a sway bar? Did it do a lot of swaying around when you towed it home?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  14. Sjm9911

Sort of, someone told me I did. I do need a different tow hitch to make it more balanced. It did tow all right at 65 mph on the way home. It could be my driving habits haven't adjusted to the towing. And I found an old sway bar manual when cleaning out the pop up. It also has a ball on the side of the front a frame where I think it attached to.

15. jnc

Ya I have the same crap welded to my Niagara's Tongue. I would not bother unless the trailer likes to dance around on you. And I fit does dance than I would get it on a scale and check your Tongue weight. It maybe as simple as moving some weight forward.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  16. Sjm9911

Got it. It did pull pretty well and I still need to address the wheels and stuff, so maybe I'll wait, clean it up and get it in working order. Then test it out again. It probubly hasent moved in a year or two untill I pulled it out.

17. Sjm9911

Ok what is this switch for?

Attached Files:

18. Sjm9911

I've powered it up , all is working but the fridge, which may need time to cool down. I'm thinking the switch is some Sort of dc to a.c. coverter? As the electrical manager comes on when it's activated?

19. Sjm9911

Lol nevermind it turns on all the outside blinkers and such.

jnc likes this.
  20. jnc

Ya beat me to it.