Collecting Maps and Brochures and Travel Planners ?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Idahawk, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

Do you do this ?

Yesterday I cleaned out PUP and TV of the summers camping items. I'm not done just will be alone on most trips left so I don't need all the gear the family does.

I had a stack of Brochures and Maps and Travel Planners about a foot tall that were stuffed in every pocket and drawer in The PUP and TV [RTM]

I raid the lobbies of USFS and BLM offices, restaurants, sporting good stores and any place we stop at along the way that offers these bundles of information .

I keep a library of these in my work shop and when we are going back to an area I can pull the file and refresh my memory. It also helps us to remember those things we wanted to do and either didn't know about or didn't have time for.

I try and buy all the USFS maps I can get my hands on and those are an invaluable resource for the boondocker. Some we get for free some of the nice color maps are $ 10.00.

My DW laughs at me because I also grab the " Visit the earwax museum " And "giant ball of twine" brochures too. Hey there free ! and you never know [;)]

I sat down with these today and much like photos they help you relive the good times and the sights and sounds and all the fun you had and I wished I has standing on the shores of Red Fish Lake.

[​IMG]

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I collect maps, flyers, newspapers and other stuff from federal facilities like national parks but not the commercial stuff you find in restaurant or motel lobbies. I also have DeLorme books for various states. The park material goes in a file on my library shelf and the road maps stay in the den unless I'm using them.

3. freenaz

freenaz Member

I collect them but they are at the bottom of the filing cabinet. I need to get them organized so they are useful.

4. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

A couple years ago I went on line and requested road maps and travel stuff from the State commerse of EVERY STATE accept Hawaii. Only 38 replied and sent me stuff. i now have an accordian file folder stuffed to the hilt with just road maps and a large 30 gallon plastic Wal-Mart tub full of brochures, tourist info stuff......funny I never use anything accept the road maps! A few states send me updated stuff once in awhile also.

JJ

5. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

Every trip I collect a sack full of brochures. When I get home, they sit on the coffee table for a couple of weeks then get thrown out. [8D]

Printed material is pretty much obsolete with so much available on line. I use to have a file drawer filled with stuff but no more... Now I just have a huge "bookmarks" folder!

I do get new maps from AAA for each trip. I'm still old-fashioned that way.

6. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

I can't keep my hands off them! I bring them back and when we invite our camping friends over for cookouts, I bring them out, we all go thru them and discuss where we would like to go and see. Our friends bring theirs over too, it makes for a great variety of info.

7. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

Mrs. MR is a teacher, DD just graduated college and DS is a junior in college. We have enough paper in this house to float a battleship. We would have more if I didn't sneak a trash bag full to the garbage about once a month. It takes a forklift to get the recycling out to the curb. Add in the junk mail, newspapers, magazines, books and whatnot and the last thing I need is to have a stack of brochures floating around, no matter what their subject matter is. Sometimes I think the Mosbyranger household is solely responsible for deforestation worldwide.
    MR

8. haroldpe

haroldpe Campin' Engineer

We go exclusively to state and federal parks, so I save the park maps and file them alphabetically in an expandable manilla file. I also add pages of nearby attractions (hiking trails, nature conservancies...) and keep it with the park file. When I make a reservation, I attach the confirmation to the park file and have it ready for when we camp.

9. bflentje

bflentje Member

I also collect them but don't do anything useful with them. They float around my home office in a box. I might have a brilliant idea some day in the future as to what to do with them.

10. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Yup, we do the same thing! We collect the brochures and maps during our travels and then during the winter we go thru them all. We will keep the ones we think are nice places to visit again and things to do in that area. All the other stuff we recycle.

You never know when a family member or friends will be going to place you visited and you can give them the maps and brochures of things to do and places to visit in that area.

11. Breadbox

Breadbox Volvo powered

My wife does. I've got a 3 ring binder that all the reservation confirmations go in along with maps and CG stuff, and the "See the potato that looks like Abraham Lincoln" stuff goes in the pockets.

12. robsheila

robsheila New Member

DH is the brochure/map/info card hoarder around here. He loves to explore every location we camp. Wants to know what all there is to do in the area. Rest areas, restaurants, camp offices. He looks through them all. Ironically, I have yet to go to most of these places. He claims its for future reference. Well, good luck with that because I throw them out when he's not watching.

But for those few attractions we do see. I keep the card/map/info and put it in the photo album along with the pictures we took. Adds that little bit of extra information for where we were and what we were doing. I've got placemats and/or coasters from unique eateries in my album as well. Admission tickets are sometimes dated and add a nice element to the photage. I don't scrapbook, but the little extras help tell the story.

13. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

I collect brochures of interest, especially from BLM, NFS and NPS, State or public organizations. Rarely the commercial stuff. They provide more information than is available online. If we like an area, it helps us plan better on our next visit. Maps are handy; not always in cell phone range.

14. Clueless

Clueless I use to have a handle on life but it broke.

15. scificamper

scificamper New Member

We collect brochures and download info. We keep a folder for each nearby state , including the state travel planner (updated yearly). We decide where we will go each December, pick the dates, start booking as soon as we can. I then make up a folder for each trip, with all of the pertinent info, including confirmations.

16. BratsMuttsNFish

BratsMuttsNFish New Member

I have a drawer in my house dedicated to visitor guides, maps, travel brochures. Before a big trip I get online and google coupons for local attractions to places we are going to print out, also.

17. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

I find most of the information on the internet a little vague unless you know exactly what your looking for about an area. Travel guides for an area seem to list everything not just the best things to do.

18. freenaz

freenaz Member

I agree with Idahawk. Clueless that link will come in very handy thx.

19. screwballl

screwballl Stimulus Package

Nope.... kids and DW trash things bad enough, don't need another 5 pounds of junk to float around... but thats just us.

20. johnlely14hw

johnlely14hw New Member

Same here! [:D]