Colleton State Park

Discussion in 'South Carolina' started by speckhunter80, Jan 29, 2013.

1. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

On way back from FL, wife and I did a drive thru of this park. It was a nice campground with sites fairly well spaced out but no vegetative screening as all the trees are mature. Only 25 campsites. Sites 4, 21, 23 are tent sites. Sites are someone short so anything over 25' could be a problem. Sites 1-6 butt up to the road (SC 15) Sites 19, 20 were furthest away from road and other campers. Main bathroom has two showers for each gender. Building not new but well maintained and clean on 1/28/13 There is another building divided up into genders but did not go in. Don't know if additional showers or bathroom. No CG maps available. Suspect in warm weather misquitos are a MAJOR problem. Water and electric at every site. Did not notice any sewer connections but there is a dump station. There is a CG host on-site

CG is 4 miles off I-95 at exit 68. Go 3 miles east on SC61 then a little less then a mile north on SC15.

2. popuppartyof5

popuppartyof5 Are we having fun yet???

Hi Speckhunter hope you guys are doing well [:D] I was looking at this campground as a pitstop for our spring break trip to Florida next year. Thanks for the review!

3. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

It would be roughly a 5.25 hour drive from R'lands

4. KamperKel

KamperKel Active Member

We took our new pup to this state park for a "test-run." It was hot and I am so glad we had AC. We stayed in site 19...nothing spectacular. The campground is very small. We didn't get a chance to check out any of the trails because of the mosquitoes. I am a big user of the Thermacell products and they worked. However, when I accidentally stepped out of my protected zone, I was overwhelmed by the blood suckers!

The one good thing about site 19 is it is far enough away from the main road where you didn't hear all the cars passing. However, you do not get the view of the river. Take note that this site is right next to the path/trail to the water and you'll have a lot of people walking through. Honestly, it was too busy for me and my husband. There was no privacy.

I guess the best things about the whole trip was we were camping and we discovered a few more things we need to do to our PUP to prepare for our fall camping trip to Calhoun Falls. Honestly, I can not wait!