Colman folding oven

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by gladecreekwy, Jul 27, 2019.

1. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Since reacquiring a Coleman white gas stove I took my folding oven along. Forgot how well it works. Cooked up some pizzas. Ingenious item. E1E12870-825D-4581-812C-84B2DC44BD10.jpeg
    F1A6803E-787A-463E-A2E9-6B0B348B99DA.jpeg

2. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

We've use ours to bake muffins, and we agree with you — it's great!

Orchid likes this.
  3. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

We've baked pizza, dinner roll, even pies in ours.....great little item. I have a half inch thick steel plate I lay in the bottom of ours, it makes it a bit easier to regulate the temperature.

Be-Ce, Grandpa Don and Orchid like this.
  4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I'm thinking we may take ours along on our 9 and 16 night trips in Sept/Oct. New this year - yet to be tried outside the house - is an Omnia oven, which we could use inside the trailer, so having both will give us options.

Orchid likes this.
  5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I have one of these out in the shed somewhere. I've had it since the '90's when we camped with our kids. Maybe I'll dig it out one day and put it in the camper storage just in case.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. Overland

Overland Active Member

I have one also, used it exactly once for breakfast burrito's. Gonna have to pack it next trip, pizza's would go over well.

Orchid likes this.
  7. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I have used one for years and love it. It make great cornbread and biscuits too.

neighbormike likes this.
  8. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

One of those was always in the Apache.

9. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

I don’t have one yet. I’ve been searching for an older one that will compliment my pre-1957 426b.

10. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

There is also a small pizza stone that fits perfectly in the bottom. I have heard good things about using then as well.

Be-Ce and gladecreekwy like this.
  11. Bowman3d

Finally

Attached Files:

12. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I've done all kinds of breads in mine, and even a chicken and muffin tin meatloaf. I use one of the baking stones in the bottom and an insulating blanket made from a welding blanket and JB weld, really reduces the heat level I have to use to keep my oven at temp, saves gas and keeps stuff from burning on the bottom while raw on the top...

Be-Ce, Arlyn Aronson and wayoutwest like this.
  13. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Active Member

I got one of those Coleman ovens a few months ago. I tried it out in my back yard. At first I was not too impressed with it. I burned the Hell out of my first batch of biscuits. I discovered that the thermometer was not very accurate. So I got a real oven thermometer and hung it inside. I discovered that the inside thermometer and the outside thermometer disagreed by 30 degrees. thus the burned biscuits. The second trial run with a new batch of biscuits came out just fine. There was a learning curve involved here. I do like the idea
    xvz12 has about the steel plate on the bottom. I'm willing to give it a try again on the next trip.

Be-Ce, Arlyn Aronson and Sjm9911 like this.
  14. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

We just bought one, looking forward to more menu options, including muffins.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  15. Be-Ce

Be-Ce Member

We made cornbread in ours earlier this summer - it worked pretty slick. The thermometer in the door isn't very accurate, but we figured it out before we burned the bread! We use our with a Coleman single burner stove - I do like the steel plate/pizza stone suggestion...

16. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Active Member

Biscuits and gravy is what my mouth is watering for...

17. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Now I'm hungry.......

18. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Some items to note about the Coleman Folding camp oven.

1. Heat distribution is very uneven. Then tend to be hot on the bottom, cold on the top, those issues get addressed with the mods below.
    2. Size is VERY small, you need to carefully pick your bakeware. Typically toaster oven size stuff works.
    3. The thermometer either works fine, or is WAY off, there doesn't seem to be any in between.
    To address the heat distribution issue, I came accross this idea from a vandwelling couple that modded theirs for baking on the road. They added a baking stone, I used a 10-1/4 inch rectangle stone ordered from Amazon, I think they used a fireplace tile they cut down. I didn't want to do that much work... This keeps the heat more even at the bottom, and allows heat to come up the sides instead of straight up the middle. To keep heat at the middle and top you need to insulate the thin metal housing. I used a welding blanket per the instructions from this vandweller couple, and made a 3 sided blanket of sorts that covers the top, both sides and the back, and it is attached to itself using JB Weld as it tolerates the heat (Per the MFG up to 550 deg F). (Cut it out so there is a T with flaps on the sides to glue together. Use the JB weld to glue together, and simply cover the assembled oven with the blanket insulator when in use. MASSIVE improvement in function.

The big cost to doing this is finding a welding blanket big enough, to cut up to make the insulator.

19. Bowman3d

IMG_20190817_143413500.jpg

gladecreekwy likes this.
  20. YellowCityGuy

YellowCityGuy Member

I have an older one; it's black with a copper colored door. We use it for biscuits, cinnamon rolls, and muffins!

I hadn't thought of using it for pizza, but the kids would LOVE to do a "build your own pizza" one night on our next trip. Gotta pin that idea somewhere....