Colman folding oven

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by gladecreekwy, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

That's the one Im looking for to go with my 426b in the pic above you YCG. But I can't seem to find one in good shape that they don't want a lot of money for. After I get one of those I’ll look for this

7BE59116-E20A-4562-A41F-5AE162585D65.jpeg

SHFL and neighbormike like this.
  2. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Is that real or is that photoshop?

3. Bowman3d

It’s real. Extremely hard to find. C
    it’s real. But try and find one. It’s what you call unobtainium
    Product Discontinued by Manufacturer
    Coleman Rugged Collapsible 2 Burner Camp Oven has been discontinued by Coleman and is no longer available. Our product experts have helped us select these available replacements below. You can also explore other items in the Outdoor Gear, Camping Gear, Camping Stoves categories yourself to try and find the perfect replacement for you!

J Starsky likes this.
  4. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

We buy par baked crusts and bring the toppings.

Sjm9911 and YellowCityGuy like this.
  5. Tulip

Tulip Active Member

Do these only work on Coleman stoves or can you use them with the propane stoves that come with the trailer?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  6. Be-Ce

Be-Ce Active Member

@Tulip There is a round ring on the bottom of the oven that needs to be centered on the burner. Our three burner stove wouldn't allow this, geometrically. Hence, the use of a single burner that we use.

Tulip likes this.
  7. gladecreekwy

I have used on on the our stove that hangs off the side of the camper. Worked ok but I wasn’t watching it close enough and it started to melt the plastic stove housing. Probably why I stoped using it years ago. Required a two burner Colman. It’s really designed for steel campstove. Lots of heat trapped under and redirected down. I would never use inside

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I would not use the Coleman oven on the inside stove. It's really designed to sit on the Coleman camp stoves. If nothing else, having a good space around it for air circulation is necessary. I would also not use the Outback Oven we used for a very long time on the inside stove. I would worry about the reflected heat from the cover causing damage to the cook top, if nothing else; the Coleman oven could do the same due to clearance between the bottom of the oven and the cook top.
    One reason we bought the Omnia oven is so we could use it on the inside stove if we want, it is designed so it can be used on boat and RV stoves. Last week, we used it outside on the camp stove, because it was in the 80s and we didn't want that extra heat inside the camper.

9. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I could totally go for one of those with a proper baking stone to insure even heat over a white gas stove...

10. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

I'm glad I came across this thread. I've seen these in photos but didnt realize that a) they fold down flat or b) that they worked well! Now I think I might need to find one....especially since we decided to try camping on Thanksgiving this year!

An old three burner just like mine. Love it! No problem using the oven on this (someone else commented they couldn't use this on their 3 burner for some reason). Now tell me about those side tables! Were they custom made or something offered by coleman?

11. gladecreekwy

Lots of older ones on eBay

12. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

You wouldn't happen to be on the Coleman Collectors Forum would you? There is a lot of Thanksgiving camping talk there. Kind of my fault...

The side tables were a Coleman thing, I see them on Ebay periodically.

The single best ting I did for my coleman folding oven was to add the baking stone to it. Makes the heat a LOT more even in there...

FWIW, to use the Coleman Oven on a Coleman 424 or 425, I typically use the right burner, with the windscreen folded in and the oven centered over the burner head. I found that if I try to keep the bottom of the oven over the stove entirely, the right side of the oven gets too hot the left not hot enough.

13. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

I see that. Not sure I necessarily need an older one. cool nonetheless.

I believe I am registered on that site....but admit I don't frequent it at all. We are all set for thanksgiving camping but were a bit worried about things that need to be baked rather than simply cooked.

I'll have to keep an eye out for those side tables!

So when using that right burner, you have 'half' the oven overhanging the side of the stove? I imagine if I try to center it over the middle burner it leaves the other 2 burners unusable?

14. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I will start a Thankgsiving dinner in camp thread here to give a rundown of my thought process and equipment used...

https://www.popupportal.com/threads/anyone-camp-for-thanksgiving.126602/

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  15. Bowman3d

The problem with using the oven on a tree burner is the main burner is in the middle when you center the oven over the main burner there is not much room for using the auxiliary burners on the sides. The spread between burners on a 426 is the same as a 425. In theory The ideal stove to use is a 413. They have more room between burners.

The trays on the side are called Chef trays. They are not made to be used on a 426b ( I custom made mine to fit my stove) . The trays are made for 426d and 413 g and after. But if you don’t mind cutting and drilling your case you can get them to fit. Mine are made from steel real ones are aluminum much lighter.

16. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

Gotcha. Thanks!

17. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I have used mine on the 425F, which is effectively the same stove as the 424 with a smooth case and a CF only generator instead of the larger dual fuel... The problem is that it is physically impossible to center the oven over the primary burner due to the way the hinge is in the way of sliding the oven to the right. This means that the right side of the oven tends to operate hotter than the left, resuliting in burnt food on the right side of the oven while the left is perfectly done.

I did this to test using the oven without my mods.

Now the mods i have tested, and need to retest (NOT on the plastic table!) is using a baking stone on the bottom of the oven to even out the heat. Another option would be to remove the lid / wind screens so that the hinge is not in the way...

Sjm9911 likes this.