Colorado Diesel!

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by mysticbus, Mar 22, 2019.

1. mysticbus

mysticbus New Member

So, I just bought one of these last month, and had my first tow with it. Is it the best lightweight tow vehicle ever? Maybe!

I did about 400 miles total, all interstate. Camper is a Rockwood 2280BHESP, which is about 2600lbs dry. I had it loaded, full, and a heavy cooler and supplies in the bed. If I had to make a best guess, the trailer was a hair over 3000lbs, and the truck was loaded nearly to capacity with 4 people, the tongue weight, and the load in the bed.

I kept cruise on between 68-75. Truck ran about 2K RPMs in 6th gear. It never downshifted, not one single time on a hill or otherwise. It would climb a steep bridge in 6th gear and never struggle. I was completely amazed by the low end torque.

The built in brake controller, and exhaust brake work brilliantly. Zero drama, even when descending.

The best part? The truck returned an average of 22mpg while towing!

2. Buckmaster81

Buckmaster81 Active Member

Diesel really is a different kind of power over gasoline. I hated towing with my f150, engine winding up at 3400 rpm uphill, breaking sucked going downhill, just nerve racking and unneeded stress. I sit comfy behind my Cummins with no worries whatsoever.

A friend of mine just bought the Colorado and he loves it.

3. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

Are your pups tires rated for those speeds ?

friartuck likes this.
  4. mattlreese

mattlreese Active Member

Great MPG. I have a similar, pup and I get between 18-20 towing with my minvan.

5. mysticbus

mysticbus New Member

yeah, mine is the ESP, with 15" all terrain tires, they are Q rated for 99mph

bols2Dawall and gladecreekwy like this.
  6. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Well-Known Member

I have been towing our small viking with a diesel car since the early 90's. First off with a 1.9 diesel Peugeot and got 50mpg and now a BMW 525d but thats down to about 38mpg. Over here they now demonise Diesel for the emissions, how attitudes change[:(!]

7. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

No matter what the subject or item , you can ALWAYS find anti's and even as a minority they get listened to the majority of us are left out in limbo somewhere

xxxapache and bobinfleet like this.
  8. Ironmonger

Ironmonger Member

I pull a '95 Fleetwood/Coleman PU with a '05 F250 6.0L diesel, and I absolutely love it. With a crew cab & 8' bed, it's too long for standard parking spaces. I bought it used; I think it was used to pull a 5th wheel horse trailer. I can't tell I'm pulling anything- in fact, I had to put a post-it on the dash to remind me that I'm pulling a trailer! (I can't see the PU through the rear view mirror.) The truck isn't a daily driver, as the MPG isn't very good, but it's made towing a joy. I highly recommend it.

9. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

I had a 2013 Ram 2500 with the Cummins and exhaust brake. The most incredible pulling/towing pickup I have ever owned. Pulling a 34' bumper pull trailer thru the ozarks didnt even task it. The exhaust brake is amazing! Didnt know the Colorado had one. I still have 2 years before my son gets my Jeep and I get a new vehicle. A small diesel sounds like something I'll be researching.