Comfortable bunk

smsallen727

May 7, 2016
Any ideas how to get our bed more comfortable in our 06 Starcraft? We've tried the egg carton thing but still not comfortable. My husband is a semi big guy and he just sinks with 3 inches of memory foam. We also both have bad backs. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

shuang2

Super Active Member
Apr 20, 2010
We had ever considered to get a sleep number bed for our custom made camper, but for the popup camper, thicker mattress may cause camper closing problem. Unless people have more space to store the extra mattress.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
If we had kept our pup (my back got just bad to do the work), we were going to try our Therm-a-rest air/foam mattresses under our 2" memory foam. We do best with a firm under layer, with space for hips and shoulders to sink. For me, 3" memory foam is a tad too much, but 2" over a firm foam under layer is great.
There's a mattress and bedding section in (I believe) the "at the campsite" section. I'd give your direct links but camping wi-fi and computer are not cooperative.

utah steve

Apr 17, 2016
Nemo Equipment made a thick sleeping pad, double size. Not a air matterest but a pad,they are firmer. Big Agnes makes one,so does Thermarest,REI, LL Bean. Some with foot pump or you supply the air. Look at any backpacking or camping site for them. Much cheaper than RV matterest.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

kudzu

Gold Supporting Member
Oct 20, 2014
Knee deep in kudzu
kitphantom said:
If we had kept our pup (my back got just bad to do the work), we were going to try our Therm-a-rest air/foam mattresses under our 2" memory foam. We do best with a firm under layer, with space for hips and shoulders to sink.

That idea is quite similar to our set up in for my Aliner. Couldn't sleep on the foam that came with my 10 year old camper. Tried putting more foam on top & that still wasn't good. So I took out all the old foam & replaced it with Therm-a-rest camping pads & 2"eggcrate on top of that with the convoluted side facing down. (It just feels better sleeping on the flat side.) The camping pads are inflated to be very firm. That gives a good foundation. The foam on top add extra comfort & some give. It's only about 4" thick. We sleep very well on this.

Edit: Just adding, our Therm-a-rest pads are two different models. His is the traditional self-inflating pad with foam core. Mine is the insulated air pad, no foam. It's hard to tell the difference from one side of the bed to the other.

Jeepguy93

Mar 30, 2014
MA
I ordered a queen 4 inch lux foam mattress from thefoamfactory.com It's awesome. My hip doesn't even come close to hitting the wood when laying on my side. I honestly think it's more supportive than my house mattress.

94-D2

Happy Campin'
May 21, 2010
Sutter Creek CA
Thermarest for me. I have 2, 25" and 1, 22" pads under the OEM mattress. They are 2" thick and self inflating. The added benefit is the insulating quality of the air gap they provide. They are an excellent barrier from the bunk bottom and the open air under it.

Nascar Fan

Super Active Member
Nov 18, 2008
Washington, PA
We removed the original mattress and replaced with a pillow top inflatable mattress. Deflated it is 4 inches thick and no problems with putting the top down. Plug it in and it inflates in a couple of minutes.

smsallen727

May 7, 2016
shuang2 said:
We had ever considered to get a sleep number bed for our custom made camper, but for the popup camper, thicker mattress may cause camper closing problem. Unless people have more space to store the extra mattress.
Haha. We have a sleep number and didn't realize how bad our bunk is on our backs. Wish we could get a sleep number for it.

91Starcraft

Apr 14, 2016
Anti fatigue mats under the bunk is a huge help! You can get them at Costco for about $12. Two packages did both of our bunks, King and full sizes.
Also we have heard of people placing an air mattress under their foam mattress. It's easy to blow up and empty from the outside before you strap down the bunk sides leaving it under the mattress. Here is a pic of our anti fatigue matts in one of our bunk ends.
752d1ae9073df8f87766f327dfc0ca1b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

PmRacing

May 15, 2016
smsallen727 said:
Haha. We have a sleep number and didn't realize how bad our bunk is on our backs. Wish we could get a sleep number for it.

Sent from my SM-N910V

X2 for sleep number at home but air mattress in camper over stock mattress is still awesome!

Mikeeee

Lathrop Bob

Aug 15, 2014
The first trip in our pup almost crippled me. The bed hurt my back so bad that the trip home was agony. My wife got a 4" foam topper from costco and that eliminated the problem. I think a sleep number air bed would be great. That is what we sleep on at home.

Hoomi

I write everything the voices in my head tell me.
Jul 20, 2012
We added a memory foam mattress topper on our bunk. Still not quite soft enough for my preferred sleeping comfort, but livable. I remove it from the bunk and fold it over the dinette when dropping the top.

ronnie

Sep 3, 2015
Just so you know, you can put a sleep number bed in but you will heed to empty the air out..

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
We have two mattress toppers. One for each end, but when it's just me and DW we put both on the king bed. I sleep like a baby. [:)C]

PmRacing

May 15, 2016
Two more chiming in for air mattress (Wife and I both prefer them). Next time I think I will try the stock two inch foam mattress on top of the air mattress instead of under. A single sheet does not give much insulation between the body and the rubber of the air mattress.

Mikeeee

tcanthonyii

Super Active Member
Jun 29, 2010
Man are the original beds bad. Maybe they have gotten better but the foam in my 98 is no good. I've had 2 back surgeries and could barely walk after a night. We threw Ina. Cheap foam topper and that helped. Then we threw on another. It was better.

We were gifted a 2 or 3 inch memory foam topper when my parents moved. At first I thought what am I gonna do with this? Then I threw it in the camper. Slept so hard the first night I couldn't walk in the morning. (I have to move around or I get stiff). Now the camper bed is as good as my home bed. Love it. They are cheap and really the best long term solution. Maybe a thick gel filled one and just replace the original. That's what I'm leaning towards now. Air mattresses are awesome but eventually leak. They make me angry really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gardenbliss

Super Active Member
Dec 9, 2013
San Diego
My 4" topper (3 1/2" really), was too thick on the original rigid foam mattress for the roof to close, so we got rid of the original hard foam, but the foam isn't quite thick enough, so we need one extra layer of something. I'm still looking.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
If you have a local foam store, try shopping there. We have a foam and upholstery shop here in town, where we have bought foam for both our first pup (we replaced all the cushions) and for the bed in the TT.
They have at least a dozen different thicknesses of foam, in different densities. With the first pup, we ended up with 1" memory foam over the firm cushion foam, which worked well. In our second pup, 2" memory foam over the original (we bought it new) mattress was good. However, the foam was not as good after 3 seasons, hence the idea of replacing it with Therm-a-rests I mentioned earlier.
When we realized that the original mattress in our TT was not going to work for us (they've apparently upgraded in some later models), I went back to the foam place. After describing what we needed, they recommended one or two. They even had a bench and a sample, so I could stretch out on it.