Comfortable bunk

smsallen727

May 7, 2016
kitphantom said:
If you have a local foam store, try shopping there. We have a foam and upholstery shop here in town, where we have bought foam for both our first pup (we replaced all the cushions) and for the bed in the TT.
They have at least a dozen different thicknesses of foam, in different densities. With the first pup, we ended up with 1" memory foam over the firm cushion foam, which worked well. In our second pup, 2" memory foam over the original (we bought it new) mattress was good. However, the foam was not as good after 3 seasons, hence the idea of replacing it with Therm-a-rests I mentioned earlier.
When we realized that the original mattress in our TT was not going to work for us (they've apparently upgraded in some later models), I went back to the foam place. After describing what we needed, they recommended one or two. They even had a bench and a sample, so I could stretch out on it.
Hmmmmm...that's a great idea although I don't believe we have any local to us. I know most upholstery places as I know someone who does upholstery on the side. But that is a great idea.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

generok

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 7, 2013
Anchorage, AK
I actually don't have a problem with the original mattress pad in our 96 Jayco. My wife wanted a little more so we put a cheap 1" memory foam topper on it and she sleeps much better now. I like it, but I can do without it.

The problem I have, is our roof is so tight, we can't leave it on the bunk end and pop down. It's pretty tight without the topper, but with it, we can't even get the latches to hook. So, we have to fold it up and stick it in the truck. It's inelegant, but it works.

We got our topper at Walmart. It will probably only last three seasons, but for the price we paid (and the excitement of my DW talking about a TT during our last outing!!!) I don't mind.

tanyaewa

Jul 14, 2014
We upgraded our king bunk with a 2 inch memory foam topper and I love how soft and awesome it is. Recently we went on our first trip of th season and forgot that we had brought it into the house for the guest room. Unwilling to toss and turn for 3 night we stopped and got an airmatress and put it under the stock foam matress. It worked great and we just left it there for the next trip. Have to take air out to pack up but it worked well enough. Will get the topper back in for the summer but good to know we have a back up. I have also in a pinch used 2x twin thermarest side by side ( under the stock matress) and that worked well also