coming back to hang out here.

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by penny, Nov 9, 2018.

1. penny

penny Well-Known Member

I haven't posted here in about a year. we got a trailer to "match" our van's towing limits, and sold the pop up that really was nice, but not a good camper for us. But the little fun finder was just too hard for extended trips. bed, mostly. very much a struggle to make up from dinette twice a day. that sounds lame, but it was true. And the sleep deprivation from whoever was on the inside, climbing over whoever was on the outside several times in the night. and the dogs! tripping over them was hard on everyone.

And the van...
    what they say about mini vans and towing finally impressed us when the temps approached 107 in NM and we sought a refuge in the mountains. The van was having a lot of trouble dealing with the temps and the grades.

so....we bought a TV with a rating of 5000# and you can guess what happened next.

we are new owners of a 2016 starcraft AR one QB18.

It is a really nice trailer. no slide, not heavy, but a nice queen bed that is full time and has access from each side. It is still relatively narrow at 7' but long enough to have some decent living/floor space. I love it. it is 3070# as it sits before we pack up to go. so we are well below our towing capacity.

I've really missed the activity and lively exchange on this forum! decided to come back and post on the "dark side"

jnc, emoney, Redbird234 and 1 other person like this.
  2. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

Welcome back Penny. Went to the dark side myself and never looked back..

3. penny

penny Well-Known Member

thanks!

4. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Welcome back! I too, went dark this season... very much enjoying it!

5. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Went this way year before with and AR one 15RB best move I ever made. Still small enough that we can go off road

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Welcome back. Whether you are in a tent or in a class A this is supposed to be a fun camping related forum. I'm sure there are still many things you can read from these forums and contrabute. Not to mention many here have also upgraded the same way you have. There are times I want to upgrade but realistically i camp in the mountains a lot and have come accross a lot of road hazards up there with my popup that I just don't see me tackaling the same with a bigger trailer. Not to mention scares me to even think about.

stacey short likes this.
  7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

download.jpeg Glad to see you again

8. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Judging by comments on this thread, going to the dark side is becoming somewhat of an epidemic. We too went dark since we law saw you here.

You are going to enjoy it!

Welcome back. [:)C]

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Welcome back. We've been on the Dark Side for 4 years, and still find good info here.

10. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I totally understand about the bed.

A friend had a small "chinook" - everytime we camped together, I watched her have to move everything around for 10+ minutes in order to make her bed. That was one of my initial requirements in an RV - a dedicated bed.

11. penny

penny Well-Known Member

thanks for all the welcome backs! The bed is a big deal, really. another things about the tiny trailer is I'm and early riser, my husband likes to sleep in a bit. I love to sit with that first cup of coffee, and if he was in the bed, there was nowhere to sit in the morning. tried bringing a chair, but too cramped. summer, stepping outside is wonderful. fall, not so much.

new trailer does not have a dinette, but an L shaped padded bench with a narrow table in front. very open feel for such a narrow trailer without a slide. I've got to remember how to add pictures, so I can brag.

12. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

That is was a factor for us as well. I often get up 1-2 hours before my wife. In the Aliner it was impossible to let her sleep if I got up. Now I can get up and enjoy my morning cup of coffee without bothering her too much. In prep for our upcoming trip south I just installed some room darkening curtains in front of the bed to hopefully bother her even less. ;)

13. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Welcome back, We went dark again and I do not think we will change back to a PUP
    I have had all kinds over the years and usually go back to a PUP (they do get into the blood :)) but not this time, age and medical problems made the final decision the TT does make it so much easier to have the little Coleman Camper, level unhook and I am set. However I stay because I can still be of assistance to the others and they to me, after all the appliances are the same and the problems we all encounter from time to time are the same too and we all gain knowledge as well as shortcuts..

14. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

No matter if I go dark some day, Im keeping my pup, it is the only thing I can use on my fishing trips. Depending on location (we rotate) there is a spot here or there I could use the hybrid but the tiny pup goes everywhere....

15. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

I went to the dark side as well, but enjoy this place much more than any TT related sites, so here I stay. We plan to hit the road for the next several summers and the ability to pull off the road and sleep made the deciding factor for us. And posting the pics is easy peasy: hit the “upload a file” button right below the “Post Reply” and load all the pics you plan to share, as you’re typing and hit the spot where you want it to be scroll down to the “add” button and boom; instant pics in threads. Look forward to seeing the new toy!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  16. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

If I went to the so-called dark side I would do the same as you did with something in the 20-24 foot range.

I would beef up the wheels on it and use it also off-road just like my 2008 StarCraft RT14 Off Road POPUP trailer...

Lots of trailer that size to look at...

I just never got the RV TRAVEL urge which makes one want to bring all of their house comfort items along with them. Not saying anything against that just not what I like doing... I do bring along some home comforts items including HDTV and Internet along with my Ham Radio OPS.... That's all I wanted to do usually within a few hundred miles around here in Northern Neck Virginia...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

17. Toedtoes

I'm not a big gadget person to begin with, so even at home I don't have a lot. And what I do have is portable so easy to take. I always take my kindle for reading. I take my fire tablet so I can watch a movie if desired (I have a few of my favorites downloaded) or surf the net. I don't find a microwave to be a necessity when I'm not working, so do fine with the stove (and oven in the clipper). My music is on an mp3 player so can go everywhere. I don't drink coffee and don't use a hair dryer. Toast is made on a stovetop toaster. I don't use crockpots, and electric skillets, and pasta makers, and so on. I'm not addicted to tv, so I can go without for a couple weeks and not notice.

So, even when I'm camping, my comforts are pretty much the same as at home. And I don't need electric hookups or a generator to have the comforts I have.

hayyward likes this.
  18. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Lol , you have way more stuff then me, a kindle, fire tablet , mp3 player, but not a big gadget person:grin: ill agree , camping is doing without, even if we bring everything with us!

19. Toedtoes

Well, considering that many folks have at least one tv in their RV, plus a DVD player, plus a satelite tv connection, plus a stereo with blutooth speakers, plus their tablets, gameboys, iphones, etc. And then they have their microwave, convection oven, mixer, coffee maker, crock pot, induction burner, barbeque, camp stove, instant pot, toaster, and so on. My 3 gadgets is nothing. And the kindle doesn 't count as a gadget since I would be bringing 3-6 books if I didn't have it. :)

And again, I don't need more power than a fully charged battery for a week of camping so I'm obviously not using a lot of electricity on gadgets.

20. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Other than the crock pot/instan-pot, pretty sure I take all of the above. Then again, we're destination campers.
    Basically, the camper is a "Hilton-On-Wheels". I mean, no sense in suffering, right? :)

cyndib and pandpcamper like this.