coming back to hang out here.

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by penny, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Exactly. It's all up to the individual and how they plan on using their RV, and how they spend their down time at home even.

I purposely didn't include camera equipment in my list above because to me that is a hobby and not a convenience.

2. penny

penny Well-Known Member

I sometimes recall the benefits of the class B that we sold, or the pop up we sold. Pop up for pure camping, small Rv for road trips. I think the best compromise for us is the relatively small travel trailer. It is for sure bigger than anything we've ever had, but smaller than many would want.

we went to the west coast to visit family for thanksgiving and took our car, with one night in a motel. All I can say is I wouldn't want to stay every night in a motel on a road trip! I love having my own "quarters" and I'm sure if we were taking a longer trip, the travel trailer would be our choice.

we also like having a trailer that we can leave at a campground or site and take the tow vehicle to explore, get supplies or visit friends.

If we go camping in the woods, it is narrow and nimble enough to get into nice spots, has everything we need to boondocks for days. occasionally, we take it as our little house on wheels and then we may pack a little differently.

My sister and her DH also recently bought a travel trailer, and they stay exclusively in park type sites, always hook up and have tv and use appliances and such. I can see the benefits of that, but still prefer to "camp"

In extreme heat or cold, it is nice to have shore power, water and those conveniences.

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Yes to these comments. When I went east last month to help clear out my MIL's house, I didn't take the trailer. That made travel days easier, but I sure missed being able to park it at night and just go into my own bed and supplies all (pretty much) in place.
    Although I might choose one of the slightly longer Retros available these days, (18' instead of our 17') due to the floor plan, the 17' one is about as large as I want to tow or park. In a few places, our choice of sites is a bit more limited than it was with tent or pup, but mostly we camp in the same campgrounds that we have done for almost 30 years. We also stop in some that we probably would not have considered with either the tent or pup, due to timing, location, weather, etc.
    Realizing what is the best choice for our season of life has been valuable.

4. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

That is one of the great things about RV'ing. I can be a tent off the ground to a rolling condo depending on the plans. Ain't life outdoors great!?

neighbormike likes this.
  5. penny

penny Well-Known Member

IMG_1004.JPG I finally get around to posting a few pics. We have done some close by cold weather camping. City of Rocks, and Caballo Lake. NM.

Attached Files:

cyndib, pandpcamper and kitphantom like this.
  6. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Looks great Penny! Thanks for sharing!!

7. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Looking good!

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Nice. I was thinking of trying Caballo Lake for an early season trip next March, since we've never stopped there. However, we decided it might be too cold and windy, so we we'll play it by ear instead of making reservations now.
    City of Rocks is one of those places where we want to camp again - it's been 20+ years.

9. penny

penny Well-Known Member

love both places for different reasons. Caballo has a lot of unimproved places to park and camp, birds, fishing and kayaking. City of Rocks is so wonderfully dark and surreal after sundown. great place to take the telescopes. Both are darn hot in the summer, but really nice for biking or hiking in cooler weather. when you go to reserve at city of rocks, it looks like it's all full. but they have lots of sites that don't show up on reserve america. (or whoever does the reservations) They have something like 6 reservable sites and 40 something "walk up" sites that don't show on the map. That park has become way too popular lately, and it's often crowded.

10. stacey short

stacey short Member

11. stacey short

stacey short Member

I love this forum.