Command hooks and Tabs.. Last Straw.

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by karen Hoffmeister, Nov 29, 2021.

1. karen Hoffmeister

karen Hoffmeister Member

Well, a 6 pound flat wood photograph attached to the wall with 4 x 10 pound command stickers just fell down ..If the dog had been under it, she would have been decapitated.
    And in the Pop Up, on various surfaces, a tiny broom and dustpan...as they say bit the dust, as did a light aluminum pan , a pot holder and rack for keys. Won't be attaching anything overhead that's for sure.
    What gives?
    I have one hook in the house still on the wall.
    I should have remembered that the larger the smile in a commercial, the less likely for the product to work.
    So now what? Get out the Gorilla glue?
    Please advise.
    K.H.

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Do you need these things on the wall?

Rik Peery likes this.
  3. karen Hoffmeister

karen Hoffmeister Member

No, and i don't usually except for the key hook by the front door. I was just trying things out as I would like to hang my solar lantern from the peak of the aliner.
    K.H.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

First I would look at the temperature rating of the command strips you are using. Something I discovered when trying to hang Xmas decorations once, they are extremely sensitive to temperature. They do make command strips that can handle the cold and heat better and it is those that I use for my outside decorations and they have worked extremely well. The biggest issue is when the camper is closed up the temperature fluxuations are more extreme much like a closed up car in the summer for instance. That can weaken the glue they use to hold the command strip.

PopUpSteve and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

In a pop up they don't hold well. In the house they should if you clean the area good.

Rik Peery likes this.
  6. LilRed

LilRed Well-Known Member

YMMV, but the command strips (both normal or outdoor) require a smooth and clean surface to attach. Like any adhesive, be sure the area is cleaned very well before usage, and applied in the appropriate temperature range.
    upload_2021-11-29_8-47-2.png

7. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Define wall. Surface texture changes the adhesion properties.

8. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

We have used command hooks for years around the house with few issues. They aren't miracle workers though... if your wall is dusty when you apply them, for example, you're not going to get good adhesion.

9. karen Hoffmeister

karen Hoffmeister Member

Thank you.
    I just purchased a thermometer for the
    Pop up

10. tfischer

I've found command hooks work OK outside so long as the surface is warm (or at least not cold) when you mount them. Once the adhesive is active then it can get cold and they still stick.

I have no experience with the other extreme though (e.g. command hooks in 100+ degree temps). Since heat usually weakens adhesives that could well be an issue.

11. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

My experience with these type of product has not been good. Most of the time it's the surface to which it's being applied.

Rik Peery and Sjm9911 like this.
  12. Sjm9911

And , i do know that abs dosent play well with anything but epoxy. When i did my shelf mod in the pop up i used maybe liquid nails, and it poped off in a week or two. The pop up gets cold at night and warm during the day, the expantion and contraction of the materials dosen't help. For the camper inside look at tension shelf mods, you get shelves and places to hang a few things. Probably the best mod I ever made when I had the pop up. For inside the home they have those push through hooks for sheetrock. For heavy pictures I like the screw in sheilds.

13. Sjm9911

14. Sjm9911

15. Sjm9911

16. world traveler

world traveler Active Member

We installed command hooks for clorhing on interior side walls of the trailer roof. They hold very well for a couple years now but the surdace is a very smooth laminated material. It was cleaned with rubbing alcohol to prepare. I tried to install the same hooks in the house on a painted wall, and 2 out of 4 fell down. Surface grip makes sense.

17. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I don't know, I've had really good luck with them. I've got them all over the place in the TH. I abuse the heck out of the weight too. I hang coats and stuff on the 5lb ones. I've mostly broken off the hooks before failure on the adhesive. In fact, I have five mounted on the outside (fiberglass sidewall) for hanging wet waders and towels. Those have been on for five seasons now. I'm thinking about replacing the hooks because they are now sun faded.

The only thing I can say is I am fastidious about mounting them. I press them against the clean surface HARD for about 60 seconds. That seems to do the trick. I have Command bins, Command hooks, and a Command shower corner thingy and they've all served me well. The rig sits at -10F in the winter, so, I don't know what to say. They are a go-to for me.

18. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I use a lot of Command products in our travel trailer and at home, even a few in our vehicles. I do use care in how much weight is placed on them, and some things (clock, indoor/outdoor thermometer display) are removed from hooks for traveling days in the trailer.
    I have found that Outdoor, Bathroom, or Shower strips work best. In the camper, I think that's because it is subject to a wide range of temperatures - in our case from just above zero to over 100* inside on a hot day, as well as humidity from single digits to rainy days.
    Not to jinx myself, but the first 2 wall organizers I installed in the trailer 7 years ago, using the standard clear strips, are still in place. Either those strips were extra special or they changed the clear ones after that, because I haven't had much luck with them at home or in the trailer since.
    I prep the wall well with alcohol, and let the hook or whatever set for a day or so before using it. Not counting failures because they were installed on too rough a surface or the surface itself failing (the "wood" frame around our fridge is paper covered substrate, with too much stress, the paper ripped off), we have a good track record overall. The walls in the wet bath are sort of pebbly, I think I've had one failure of the strips over the years (I still keep the toilet lid closed, just in case). I had one wall organizer break due to being over-filled - but the back piece stayed firmly attached the wall.

19. tfischer

20. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Because it's lightweight and easy to cut I would think.