common courtesy and respect or a cranky old man at 40

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by RockyRoo, Aug 2, 2013.

1. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

So this guy a couple rows back has 3 kids that have no respect for others. They run thru my site one and he follows and I make the usual passive aggressive comment and he just laughs out off. The next time they go running thru King gets up so as he follows I confront him about having his kids run out along the road instead of thru my site and he tells me to relax and threatens my about King not being tied up. So as I explain to him that the problem here is his kids lack of common courtesy and respect toward other campers he gets even more pissed off and just storms off, at which point his WIFE follows him thru but at least asks before she does so. So then we notice that later after he finally yells at them a couple Times about walking AROUND my site they do not then cut straight thru other sites! Am I missing something here and expecting too much out of parents?

2. Twisty

Twisty New Member

First, as a dog owner, you know your dog needs to be tied. I was livid when a dog roamed into our site.
    I know your dog is well behaved.
    So was ours, until he attacked another dog and the police showed up at our house.

You got pushed and then set your boundaries.
    They didn't need to do that b4 they came across you. "They" decided to respect you and then decided to run over someone else who offered no resistance.

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Are you expecting too much?[/font]
    Yes.

Times have changed and it is not cool to be a parent. It is cool to be a friend who gets run over and taken advantage of. Parents are to buy and provide what the child wants, not what the child needs.
    GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! [}:)] [}:)] [:(!] [:(O] [}:)] [}:)] [}:)] [V] [V] [:(O] [:(O] [:(O]
    I deleted a bunch of my rant for the sake of the forum.

3. DaveWo

DaveWo Member

Me too [:(]

4. efehser

efehser New Member

I don't think you're expecting too much, but then again I suspect we were raised about the same way- please, thank you, yes sir/ma'am etc. Unfortunately that's become all too uncommon these days. Cranky old man? Yeah, probably, but so am I!

5. RockyRoo

Please, don't hold back for the sake of the forum, if you can't post it publicly send me a pm with your complete response, I need to hear it good bad or otherwise.

6. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

I don't need to send you a pm. Theres a lot more than common courtesy missing here. They are rude in cutting through your site, but I'm sure this is the way the parents run their lives. Sadly, they have taught this behavior to their children. I get pretty ticked when people try to make you feel responsible for their inept behavior. It's called bullying, and it's done by kids AND adults alike. Parenting is TOUGH. A lot of people only want easy.

7. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

I disagree. My children are respectful or are corrected. I am always getting comments on their good manners, though that may be because they are not the norm

Enforce the standard by not make snide comments but being direct with the parent. I have found it rather effective even if it does piss people off

8. funmom21

funmom21 I am a DW with a wonderful DH and 2 DD teenagers

This is a new generation of I guess you call them Generation X who feel they are entitled to do what they want and the parents are so relieved to have them out of their hair. I am in the process of trying to buy my first PUP. My parents have a motor home and little dogs and kids run through their site all the time. The kids also ride there bikes as if there are no cars and or other people around them. A kid come very close running over my 83 grandmother who has a cane or a little roller walker, she has a very hard time walking and is in need of constant supervision so she does not fall on the uneven ground. The boy on the bike laughed and said "I came so close to running you down" and then he left I followed him to his site and the parents where drinking lots of beer, playing poker etc. All they said "you know kids will be kids"! Where in the loving kids who help and respect their elders?? I think I want to bring some spray paint to make my lines of my site very clear and a sign that says "Keep Out"! I know it will make no difference because you know kids will be kids... Off my soap box!!! `

9. qwed94

qwed94 New Member

Well all I can say is this. My wife babysits for a few different families. I work nights, so I spend time daily with all of these kids also.

We can tell the parents who actually LOVE and raise their kids (at least to the best of their ability--realize we all fail somewhat at parenting as kids don't come with instruction manuals). And the parents who simply allow their kids to live in the same home.

Some of our kids are respectful, and mind proper, while others try to run our house, just as they run their house.

So "Rocky Roo" I would like to say that you are NOT expecting TOO much, but unfortunetely , you just may be. You are right, however, in blaming the parents. It is truly their fault. The kids will only do what they can get by with. And these days, that's almost anything.

Sorry Rocky, to hear about your mis-adventures.

10. rangerover

rangerover Member

How old were the kids?

11. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

You should see what I see as a teacher! Some of it is scary. I can only imagine that it's worse there. All of my friends quit teaching at public schools because the kids were .... I'll let you fill in the blanks.
    Our friends kids are like these-undisciplined. They learned a few manners, etc., on our trip! LOL

12. Twisty

Twisty New Member

I should have qualified my statement(s) with - "Depending on where you live..." and that is even more finely defined by an area of a city or a neighborhood or block or street.

I'm washing my hands in the rest stop bathroom, kid who looks about 16 walks up to a man (maybe Dad, looked about the right age) holds out his hand and says "Keys". The guy gets the keys out of his pocket gives them to the kid and the kid walks away.
    If I would have done that to my Dad he would have given me a look that made me wish I could go back in time 3 seconds.

13. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Jay, you still there? Are they still there?????

Remember the story a few weeks back I told you about noisy neighbors, raccoons, and bait etc?

14. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

There's little respect for the 'rules anymore unless someone is enforcing them.

We camped for the first time in a state park earlier this year in our new TT. The site they gave us on their office map showed a spacious tree filled buffer between us and the neighboring site out our door. As we pull in , we realize between the sites on either side of us, there's barely enough room for our TT as they'd both opted to use the trees that were on our site as their clothes line. Once we set up, I parked the TV basically under the one clothes line. Eventually they got the hint. (Or got tired of trying to work around the TV). The other side had a tree just off our patio. Tied to it, the clothesline. Not one part of their line was on their site. Add to that, every time they decided to head to the beach it was through the back part of our lot.
    They were grandparents with kids, and were fairly quiet and early to bed, but still... space people... SPACE.

15. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member

You're old at 40 [:O]

Im 45 and reading that just ruined my day !!

[;)]

16. RockyRoo

Oh I do, I have 3 tethers that I put out last night randomly placed thru their path they my site. Nobody can say I don't have leashes for King, too bad I haven't been around to see if anyone tried cutting thru again and took a stumble.

17. RichN

RichN New Member

You have your generations confused. Generation X'rs were born between 1965-82. The youngest is now 31 years old. Don't get me started on the baby boomers. They single handedly destroyed this country with their narcissism and greed. So much for the hippy, love everybody crap huh?

18. RockyRoo

[LOL] actually 41, does that make you feel a little better? [;)]

19. kpic

kpic New Member

20. bondo54

bondo54 Well-Known Member

I just thought I would let you know there are still consternate people out there. Last year while camping a young couple with 3 small children put their TT in the site on our door side. There was about 30+ feet of space between us. One morning on their walk the father and mother both apologized for maybe waking us up the night before when their baby about 6 months old was not feeling good and crying. Mom told us how she took the little one over to the picnic shelter away from our camp site so the crying would not bother us. The wife and I both told them that she did not have to do that because if the little one was crying last night you could not prove it by us as we didn’t hear anything. Mom & Dad both kept an eye on the other two aged about 5 & 3 and had them play under the awing so they could keep a better watch on them.