Commonly available USED TVs that will tow this beast safely?

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Orchid, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

[LOL] We actually have two semis now. Both are owned by our family business. Unfortunately, we never know when one will be available to use.

We live in farm country, so hopefully that is exactly what I can find. Lots and lots of horse trailers around here. Maybe I can find a truck when someone gets a new one. I'll have to put a word out on fb, if that's what I decide to go with.

I'm wavering on the trailer now because I went out to check on it today and some mold dust on some of the cabinets. I turned on the a/c, but it's going to need a major cleaning. I suppose that's something that will have to happen either way. No leaks, we just had it sealed up too tight with high humidity and no ventilation. UGH

Sjm9911 and Spridle like this.
  2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

That's annoying, but you will need to clean it to sell it also. So get in there, clean it up, driveway camp a weekend and decide if you will be happy going so big. Meanwhile, look at older 250/2500s.

A 2002 Dodge quad cab 2500 rwd, gas 5speed with towing package gives you 13800lbs max towing and 3370lbs payload. The 2000 version only gave you 8800lbs max towing, so watch your years carefully with any make.

Orchid likes this.
  3. Orchid

That's a pretty big difference in payload! I will definitely be careful about that and look up each truck individually, that I'm interested in.

Tuesday is going to be my camper cleaning day. :grin:

Toedtoes and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Yeah. I had to double check the numbers, it surprised me. I knew models could vary a lot, but didn't realize years did. Although, in hind sight, the Dodges changed significantly during that time frame - that's when they restarted branding them Rams.

Orchid likes this.
  5. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Probably for a reason. God I am biting my tongue!!

6. Orchid

[LOL][LOL][LOL][LOL] I almost said this myself when I was typing it. Not sure if there are just a lot more of them out there or if people are trying to get rid of them. :p

neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  7. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Not to try to scare you but you are looking at older trucks. Do a search for "Ford death wobble". Ford's are well known for it.

Orchid likes this.
  8. Gigs

Gigs Member

In addition to considering an SUV, you might want to consider a van. In general, it seems like they are less expensive used than pickup trucks. We tow our pup with a 2007 Chevy Express 1500 and I hardly know our camper is back there. You may need a 2500 or 3500 for the weight of your trailer, but a van might be an option you would want to consider. One nice benefit is that you can fit more people in the vehicle if needed, or you can bring your stuff and not worry about having it get rained on in the pickup bed. Your stuff is also a little more secure against theft too as compared to a pickup bed without a cap on it.

Orchid and slowcarfast like this.
  9. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

Have you considered trading it with someone with a smaller TT who wants to upgrade to a larger unit? You might find the perfect size for your needs.

10. Orchid

Yes!! This is a great response, thank you! When our kids were growing up, I drove a G30 passenger van and I miss it. That would be perfect. Its the favorite of every vehicle I've ever had. Should have thought of this myself!

A truck is definitely out. Now looking for an older full size van. Perfect! Thanks again!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  11. Orchid

No, I don't really want to go used again, but thanks for the idea.

If we decide not to keep this big boy, I'm going to sell it, and the pop up, and throw the money at something new and smaller. Still going to trade up for a full size van.

I've only bought new a few times in my life, but I feel like its the best option right now. I'll buy somewhat local for warranty issues.

Strawhouse, Sjm9911 and neighbormike like this.
  12. Gigs

Gigs Member

I’m so glad what I said was helpful! Good luck finding the right van for you.

Orchid and Sjm9911 like this.
  13. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

By the time you add gear my 1999 F-150 would probably be at or over max. As far as handling it, with trailer brakes I'm sure it would tow and stop it. Problem would be if you were in an accident you could be in a very bad situation if its determined that you were over weight. Personally I'd look at trading it in for something smaller or buy a TV rated to handle it. About 20k puts you in a last year Jayco 184BS, how much can you get for the Keystone?

14. Gigs

Gigs Member

Just wondering, did you find a van that works for you?

Orchid likes this.
  15. Orchid

I'm still looking. The new ones are very pricey. Looking for something older that we can pay cash for. I have focused my search on G30 vans and have found two that I was interested in, but didn't pass my mechanic's check.

neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.