Completely confused about gps units

Discussion in 'GPS / Geocaching & Mapping Applications' started by Camping Fever, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

We have a Garmin Nuvi, several years old and it has been fine. I have never used anything but this unit so I can't comment as to pros/cons compared to others.

Just remember, no matter how great a gps is, they are not perfect. You have to also know where you are going especially if you don't update your maps. Before we updated this spring we would find ourselves confused (not hard to do) because the gps would not know the road was changed, added, or removed.

2. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Raycfe, mentioned that his Garmin was way-better than his Jeep nav sys! [;)]

3. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

I have an older garmin and wait to up the maps two or three years. My cousin has a Tom-Tom and the one time we used it to go to Boston it lead us around the looong way home. My Garmin gave us the shortest and easiest way home through the city.

4. Camping Fever

Camping Fever New Member

I finally purchased a garmin nuvi 2455. It is an updated version of the 1350. The 1350 really sounded like the best fit for me but its routing was a bit weak. It took me four blocks away from my destination. The 2455 took me right to the front door.

It was a tough decision. I liked the user interface better with the 1350 but when it came to actual navigation the 2455 was better.

And i did try out a tom tom too. I cant complain about the tom tom except that it seemed like it was cheaply made. Actually i preferred the user interface better than the garmin units (less complicated) but i think the garmin units are better quality for a comparable price.

Thanks for your help. I was feeling a bit overwhelmed with the choices. I know these units are going the way of the dinosaur but i figure by the time i need to replace this unit they should have all the kinks worked out in the cell phone units. And by that time i will need a new phone too.

5. salaryman

salaryman Member

Unfortunately, they charge through the nose for map updates. Chrysler wants $200 for a new map on our T&C. I can buy two new GPS units for that price with lifetime map updates.

6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

We also prefer our Garman 1350 to our factory Mopar system.

7. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I have the Garmin Nuvi 1350 LMT and it is dead on for getting me to a destination. I have it set for the fastest route. About once a month I hook it up to my PC and let it find any map updates or software updates as well as giving it a full charge.

8. Buttermilk

Buttermilk New Member

When I got my first one, it was set to avoid U turns. I pulled out of a parking lot once going the wrong way and instead of telling me to make a U turn, it carried me on a five mile trip to bring me back to where I started.

9. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

The only time I had an issue with my Garmin nuvi was with a detour. We were returning home from a restaurant and found our route blocked by a sewer project. We followed the street signs for the detour around the construction. This required a two-mile, zig-zag route because the area is hilly and the streets are not on a grid. The Garmin went nuts and kept trying to bring us back to the starting point of the detour. The poor thing was constantly "recalculating."

10. Buttermilk

Buttermilk New Member

My elderly sister in law loves to watch mine from the back seat when we are making little trips. I have it set for a female voice. Samantha, I think. She says that's the only woman I've ever listened to.

11. silvermickey2002

I have mine set to avoid U-turns, cause more then likely I will have the pup in tow!!!

12. Mickeyrv

Mickeyrv Week day camping is great

[TV] [HYC] I have a garman nuvi 1350 lmt. its a 4.5" diagonal measure unit with free lifetime maps and traffic. I have had it for over a year. The only draw back is the map updates take about 6 hours to load. I set it up then go to bed and its all done when I get up in the morning. My next unit will be a nuvi with a 5 inch screen as I'm getting old and my eyesight is starting to fail.

13. bholmesr

bholmesr New Member

I have an older Garmin Nuvi 250w works great gets me where I need to go, I even have used it over the years to go Geocaching.

14. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

I updated one for a friend and it wasn't much more than an hour! Could it be your computer or internet connection?

15. jash1178

jash1178 You can't fix stupid!

I would go with a Garmin for sure. And get one with free lifetime map updates.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

16. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Garmin nuvi with free lifetime maps that I purchased from QVC. I think it was around $150 and it works great. They have many to choose from on there.

17. jash1178

jash1178 You can't fix stupid!

And I would go with at least the 5 inch screen. 3.5 was just to small to me.....believe it or not, it makes a huge difference.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

18. Mickeyrv

Mickeyrv Week day camping is great

[TV] [HYC] Update to my previous post. The lifetime maps and traffic on my Garman Nuvi 1350 LMT is well worth the extra 15 dollars it costs as compared to the standard 1350. I can update the maps 4 times per year and the traffic works great especially when it changes course to direct you around the jams. If I want to find a campground I just input the GPS coordinates and it takes me their. I bypass major cities, toll roads, ferry's, etc and it always finds the best route to get me their fast. I love the feature that allows me to find the closest campground, gas station, restaurant, police station, or hospital at a snap. For the money and the features, one is hard pressed to beat this one.
    I used to use the MP3 music, but no longer as I can plug directly into the TV stereo and accomplish the same thing.
    I never use a cell phone while driving so I did not enable the blue tooth and probably never will. The only think I dislike about the life time traffic is that it reports your position, direction, and speed to the local authorities, This can be quite a costly thing if you like to exceed the allowed rate of travel.

19. silvermickey2002

6 hours to load????? Mine (Nuvi 1350 LMT) takes no more than about 20-30 minutes max!!!!

20. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

I have a Garmin Nuvi, which I bought for about $80.00. I didn't know if I have free life-time updates or not. Will have to check it out.