Completely Gutted Coleman Columbia Worth?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by M-88, Jul 3, 2015.

1. M-88

M-88 Member

I found a Coleman Columbia on CL. It has been completely gutted ... no interior or canvas. In a way, it's kind of what I am looking for. SUPER small and already has the stuff I want ripped out ripped out.

What would it be worth stripped with good frame and floor? I would be throwing futon mattresses in it and just some folding furniture. Maybe down the road add cabinets and plumbing.

Help!

2. capy235co

capy235co Member

As a pup almost worthless. $50-$100 max. Lift system work?

3. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

Got to agree 100 bucks or free

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. M-88

M-88 Member

I'll wait for the price to drop a bit on CL and offer that.

Lift system does work.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Also check out what replacement canvas will cost. From the two main suppliers (Canvas Replacements and Bear Creek Canvas), it generally costs $800-1000, not to mention usually a good amount of wait time in busy season.

6. M-88

M-88 Member

Have a relative that does canvas work. Or may go with hard sides or something .

But if I can get it for 100 or less I won't do it

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

If you're just wanting to sleep off the ground, you could probably use it for a base for one of the teardrop campers. Some have a kitchen under an outside hatch. We saw a gorgeous home-build one last year, with birch-wood. (I think they're cute, but too claustrophobic inducing for me, plus having a place to sit inside on a bench or in a chair is super important for my cranky back.)

8. redneckgearhead

redneckgearhead New Member

You'll spend as much making this one usable as you could finding one complete, and ready to go. I bought my 95 coleman in fantastic shape for 1500. Deals are out there

9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

The frames do make outstanding utility trailers, I would not give much, (if anything for it) other than that I would walk away, You can buy a frame from harbor freight for less that 300.00

10. samh

samh Campin'

The canvas replacement is going to cost around $900. Building out the interior framing and cabinetry could run you anywhere from $100 (if you're thrifty and are good at sourcing free lumber) to another grand if you buy everything and nice. If you decide you want electrical, furnace, stove, and the like inside you're looking at another $300 to $500.

The cost is the first consideration. The second is your time. I personally am enjoying re-building my old Columbia so the time isn't an issue. I set myself a budget for what I was willing to spend (the Columbia was exactly the size of camper I wanted) and then wrapped my head around the idea that I'd be spending dozens and dozens of hours working on it. So far I'm very happy with how it's coming along.

Take those things into consideration first. If money and time are an object then be patient, the right one will come along.

11. samh

samh Campin'

12. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Lots of threads on this type of retrofit here, but have yet to see a finished product demonstrated working. I assume that means they've all ended in disaster.

13. Indiana

Indiana Just a bunch of squirrels, looking for a nut

Makes me wonder why someone would strip it out in the first place.... Damage?

14. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Active Member

I'm not trying to discourage you or chase you away but ... www.tnttt.com
    Since you are thinking "hardside" You might be money ahead to do one of these.
    The SIL and I are on our way to build one for the DD and him to camp with us / on their own. I picked up a 5x8 utility trailer with torsion axles and brakes that were never hooked up off CL for $150.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I would not give much for it, the frames do make great utility trailers, I have converted several into cookers myself. Also as mentioned they make a great frame for a teardrop trailer, you can find plans on the internet for them, just google teardrop trailer plans.