Computer power supply for power converter?

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by leines, Sep 2, 2013.

1. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

Nonsense. A battery is the cleanest power source you can have - pure DC.

A switcher power supply will always have some measurable ripple. I'm skeptical of the 0.005 spec, sounds incredible.

2. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Of course, a PC P/S was designed for powering USB and a battery has no safety factor for a dead-short or regulation. I agree that the regulation is not that tight for 5 and 12 volts!

3. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

Ups, 1 too many 0s. 0.05 according to my Antec True ps.
    You also have to think about 12v to usb adaptors as well. They count on 14.4v power (normal for cars) then down converting it to 5v (apple chargers 3.3 and 2.3v for the D+ and -). When a low 12v battery at 11.75 is used most chargers will have problems outputting the correct voltage.
    The atx ps will keep outputting 12v, 5v and 3.3v until a brown out. Then it shuts down.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

4. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

Alright. You are comparing a working power supply with a mostly dead battery.

5. leines

leines Internet Project Whore

I thought about adding some USB, but had an impossible time finding a tutorial for wiring a raw USB port, princess auto has 12v modules that convert down and hard wire for $6 tho.... Anyway here are some pics, I made the power supply following the google links, added a small switch and LED, overkill as switch has led but I wanted to follow exactly. Basically collected like colored wires, I only am using the 12v now so the others I cut to a decent length, and ended with caps then electrical tape.
    I also added another outlet for my added dorm fridge, and this converter so I still have two inside the camper for other use, the CD player installed in the bench seats, has a set of speakers inside, and a set in boxes (rear) are being made for beside the campfire.
    Anyway it seems to work fine, and run what it suppose to, it was free, and since we spend most our time in sites with shore power it will save any battery use really..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. leines

[​IMG]

7. timothias

timothias New Member

You could buy some USB ports that power off a mother board header, and look up the pinout to see which wires need to be energized. USB has two pins which supply +5 and -5v, and for most devices only need to energize those pins. You would only need to fab a mounting plate, which if you buy the right ones wouldn't be hard.

8. leines

It might be just as cost effective and easy to buy the $6 one from princess auto

9. timothias

timothias New Member

What I was thinking though is that the header based USB port could run off the dedicated 5v rail on the power supply, but I might be guilty of over complicating the project in my head.

10. leines

Oh I know exactly where we both were gonna go with that.... I still haven't ruled out using that for some extra LED lighting too maybe..