concerned about getting warranty work from dealer where pup wasn't purchased.

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by mcarbone, Aug 7, 2013.

1. mcarbone

mcarbone New Member

hello all -
    I'm a first time buyer looking to purchase a jayco pup from rvdirect, whose quote is 2500- 3500 less than more local dealers. I'm not concerned about the 3+ hr trip to pick it up, but I do wonder if local dealers will do warranty work if needed.

Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated.
    thanks

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Call the local dealer where you would want work done and ask them.

Some will and some won't. The TrailManor dealer in Portland, OR, where my trailer originally came from, will not do any work on trailers that it did not sell to the current owner. So, I can't get work done there.

3. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

Really??!! I had thought that is would be just like the auto dealers, that to have the franchise to sell the brand, you had to do the warranty work, then bill the manufacturer for the costs. Interesting

4. KissingCamper

KissingCamper Member

Why else you do think manufacturers can get away with shoddy work and not worry about offering a warranty that means squat? It's hard enough to get your dealer to do that. A paying customer will always find their way to the front of the line.

5. Unstable_Tripod

I don't know about other places but I wasn't just talking about warranty work at the Portland TM dealer. They will not do any work at all on any trailer that they didn't sell to the current owner.

6. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

Read the Jayco brochure. They tell you to buy local, so you will have a convenient dealer for parts or servicing.
    Most RV manufacturers tell you that.
    I had a problem with a camper 8 hrs away from home on my vacation and when I called the factory to find out where a local service center was, they told me that the nearest service center to me may not service and or would probably take their customers before they would work on my problem under warranty.
    Definitely not nice.

7. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

If that includes "out of warranty" work (meaning that the owner pays for it directly), then that makes no business sense at all. Unless they have more work than they can handle. Yet if that's the case, then what kind of product are they selling customers that needs fixing all the time?

8. kpic

kpic New Member

Unless, I am misreading this, it sounds as if the warranty is worthless?

9. Unstable_Tripod

JungleJim: They will do warranty or out of warranty work for those people who bought their trailer at that dealership. They will absolutely not do any work on any trailers bought elsewhere, in or out of warranty. Even though my trailer originally came from them* they will not work on it for me because I didn't buy it there. I don't know why they have adopted this stance.

* Original purchaser bought it from them new. His wife did not like camping so he returned it to the dealership for a consignment sale. Second purchaser bought it and then later sold it t to me.

kpic: The point is that you can't assume that any dealer of your trailer brand will perform warranty (or non-warranty) service for you. I think it is safe to assume that the dealer who sold you a new trailer with a warranty would do warranty service but that gets awkward if you buy the trailer from a dealer who is far away from your home.

10. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Sorry UT, but your post made my blood boil!

That's pure unadulterated bullsh## on the dealer's part! [:(!] [:(!] [:(!]

I just sent TrailManor a love letter requesting clarification. Until I receive it, they are OFF of my list of future trailers.

11. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

We were out doing some window shopping one day last year and quoted a price we got from RV Direct to maybe get a better price from the salesman. He just laughed and said go ahead and buy from them and good luck if you need any warranty work done by any dealer. He said no dealer he knows would do warranty work or any work at all on a TT sold by RV Direct. I spoke with the salesman at RV Direct and asked about service or warranty work needing done. He said that any dealer that sells a particular brand HAS to do the work. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. So I guess the real question is pay more from a local or not so local dealer so you can get warranty done or in my case, the dealer went out of business 3 months after we bought ours. Or, get a better price from RV Direct and hope all goes well. IMHO, I would rather buy something used that has all the kinks worked out and if something goes wrong, fix it myself.

12. BigBaron

UT, I couldn't believe it, so I sent the TrailManor dealer a message.

Wow.

[font=segoe ui, segoe ui web regular, segoe ui symbol, helvetica neue, bbalpha sans, s60 sans, arial, sans-serif](sales@*************.com)Add to contacts 7:29 AM [/font]

[/size][SIZE=small]Baron: sorry, we only do in-warranty service on units we sell.[/SIZE]

----- Original Message -----
    To: sales@************.com
    Sent: Thursday, August 08, 2013 5:38 AM
    Subject: Service for a Trailmanor

Hello,

Can you do some work on a 2619 for me? I am considering buying a trailer and I want to get it checked out and "serviced" before I pull it back to California. I don't know what it'll need, but I prefer to have it all done properly by a wualified dealer.
    I am a popup owner, so I am very unfamiliar with TrailManors, but several folks I know on camping forums love them!

Thanks,

Baron</blockquote>

13. Jeff d

Jeff d Member

$2,500-3,500 buys a whole lot of small parts. If there was some sort of major/expensive issue then you could haul it back to the 3 hr away dealer if you couldn't get service locally. Otherwise just order the part and fix it yourself for minor issues.

14. BigBaron

Can you imagine a Ford dealer telling you they won't work on your truck because you didn't buy it from them?
    I'm awaiting a response from Trailmanor, but it's a moot point because they are only 6'4" inside, and my son won't be able to stand up inside one in just a few years...
    Maybe a traveling repair business is in my future. I don't see how it could make a lot of money, though...

15. vanjr

vanjr New Member

RVs are not like cars. I am not surprised that dealers will not do warranty work from another dealer. It was my impression that was pretty standard actually. I would be surprised that much work gets done under warranty anyway. Many do not use their RVs enough the first year to even find all that is broken.

My pup is almost finished-its at the dealer that sold it to someone else. I did buy it used. Fortunately the dealer originally just did RV repair before they went into sales and so they kind of major in repair with a minor in sales. Most dealers major in sales and minor in repairs.

I suspect the dealers who do warranty work probably end up eating more of the costs than we realize.

Finally I wonder if there is a business model for RV repair business nationwide..ie RV Repair Direct:)

16. kpic

kpic New Member

It sounds as if the dealer underwrites the warranty, not the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer).
    I've been employed by OEMs and tier one (a Tier 1 supplies major components, EG. a Goshen lift, Dometic etc.) suppliers for over 40 years and never heard of such a thing.

Until now I believed OEMs take a dim view of dealers or suppliers who do not honor their warranty, unless the OEM gets a piece price discount for eating the warranty costs. If the supplier goes under, as the OEM eats the cost, the end user never knows. With certain components, there are exceptions, but again the customer never knows because the bill is paid. Sorry, I guess my astonishment showed.

If a PUP under warranty breaks, non-abuse, and the owner pays, are they re-reimbursed by the OEM?

17. BigBaron

Well, no response from Trailmanor yet, but I got this for TrailManors;

"[SIZE=small]For service on used units in our area, we would recommend Lafayette RV at (503)864-2344"[/SIZE]
    [/size]
    [/size][SIZE=small] I guess the dealer does have to pay for the warranty work, but standard repairs?[/SIZE]

18. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

I don't know the RV side personally, although my company does have a toe hold in the market.

I do know the automotive side. Car dealers like warranty work. It is a little more complicated, in that they have to get the OEM to approve the repair. But they get paid by the OEM, and it brings them in more potential new service business for non warranty work.