Concrete pads and awnings?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by kstephens, Nov 10, 2016.

1. kstephens

kstephens Member

We have an upcoming trip booked, and the pad is all concrete. What would be the best way to weigh down the awning. I am thinking 5 Gallon bucket/lid > Water > Ratchet straps. Would this hold down the awning in moderate winds (under 20 mph)? Seems like this would be more holding weight compared to stakes.

2. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Yeah that works. It's what vendors do for canopies when we set up in a parking lot. Lots of folks have coffee cans filled with cement as the weight, but the 5 gal bucket with water will be heavier. Just be cautious if there are toddlers about. If so, put the lid on them.

Good luck.

3. StageLover

StageLover Member

I use 5gal water jugs. Same as the pail idea but closed and the handle is handy to tie onto. And they are dirt cheap and collapse down to almost nothing.

One thing I found when the wind started getting up, was tying the jugs to something solid kept the jug from sliding toward the awning and letting it drop.

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Only ever tied the pup awning down in high winds, I would tie off to the truck, a tree, the picnic table, anything that was near the last resort was tent stakes and those spiral corkscrew tie downs...

Rik Peery likes this.
  5. apopkabob

apopkabob New Member

I use a ratchet strap I put one hook on the awning and I anchor it to the assist handle
    Have been in 35 MPhil winds with no problems

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

6. Fleetwood Max

Fleetwood Max Member

i usually ratchet down to a picnic table my self, that is if they are close enough, if not, I use the collapasable 5 gal water containers.. you don't need a flower pot just heavy enough to take flight, flip up over the top, in a wind burst, only to punch a nice hole in the roof or perhaps rip open the plastic windows.. its not a pretty site...

7. davekro

davekro Active Member

I was going to suggest 5 gallon gas cans. I happen to have a bunch. I have used them to hold an easy-up down set up down on my dock. But the collapsible 5 gal water jugs ARE a Great solution. Light, cheap, portable!

8. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

9. davekro

davekro Active Member

The great advantage of 5 gallon, especially collapsible, water containers is that you usually have water available at the campsite. You don’t have to transport 40 pounds times four of sand. I don’t know the weight of dirt by volume, but I guess you could dig up some dirt where ever you go to put in bags.

10. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

I just used a couple of large plastic pots,filled with concrete, with a PVC pipe running to the bottom, & an eye bolt stuck into the concrete to anchor to. Been in 35+ mph winds with it, had no problems.

20181012_191932.jpg

11. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

True....but I dont think 40 pounds of water is any lighter than 40 pounds of sand! :grin: I like that the sand bags just strap right to the leg without needed anything additional......and I've honestly never thought of using a collapsible water container for this purpose.

12. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Hasn't been much of an issue for us. The only paved pad I was able to park where the awning legs staked off the edge of the pad. I carry extra stakes and plenty of cord. If I can't reach a tree or ground suitable for stakes to secure the awning I guess I'll just not deploy it.