Condensation during storage issue

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by fredbschneider, Apr 22, 2014.

1. fredbschneider

fredbschneider "One Nation Under Goat"

I recently acquired a vintage 1968 Cox Campsquire. I took it out camping a couple weekends ago, and it hadn't rained and it wasn't really that humid either. Not enough to be noticeable, anyway, compared to the normal NC humidity. I popped it up last week when I got back to clean all the pollen off the canvas. It was pure yellow! DUSTY. Absolutely had not been rained on or driven on a wet road or anything, but there was a small spot of water on the counter. This pop-up is unique in the way that it folds up, so any water would have had to go through the vinyl cover, two layers of wood, and a handful of layers of folded up canvas to get to that spot on the counter. Did I mention there was no water inside or outside the camper to begin with?

Well today I popped it up again and there was a very large puddle of water. Now, I could tell that the vinyl cover leaked through onto the wood when it rained, which is something I need to take care of ASAP. (It has always been garaged before I bought it.) But there was no way for it to get through the rest of everything to the inside. I've determined that it must be condensation. And that condensation is causing a slight spot of mildew to start along the bunk end zippered window canvas.

Is there any way I can prevent this? If I stick newspapers everywhere while it's shut will that absorb moisture? [?:~{] [?:~{] [?:~{]

Also, if I apply some kind of sealant to the wood, would that cause any problems if there was any moisture from the natural NC humidity already in the wood?

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Is there any way that this could be water wicking along seam lines? If so, seam sealer might take care of it.

I don't know that newspapers would be a good solution. Folks seem to use Damp-rid for winter and other storage, in a basin in case of leakage/overflowing moisture it has absorbed from the air. (A year or two ago, there was a repair someone had to do because they did not have a basin and the damp-rid/water solution soaked into their wood cabinet and ruined it.)

ETA: No experience myself with Damp-Rid, we often have single digit humidity here in the high desert. Lived with high humidity until I moved here over a quarter century ago, but not with a camper.

3. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ Gold Supporting Member

Whenever our pup is closed up and just sitting in the driveway or garage (mostly garage) I keep a bucket of DampRid in there. It really does help with humidity and that musty smell from humidity!

4. gerryrobinson

gerryrobinson New Member

As an alternative to the DampRid, we purchase these at the dollar store that work well also.

[​IMG]

5. patahern

patahern New Member

Living in the land of wet I sometimes take my dehumidifier and throw it in the PUP when she's down and let her run for a day. It won't cure leaks but she sure is dry when put to sleep.