Condensation forming on heated mattresses

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by Hankster, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Hankster

Hankster Member

Not sure where to post this question; this sounded like a good bet. We went fall camping this weekend and the temps got down to 30 at night, but into the 50s during the day. We did use our furnace in the mornings and at night before bed but really just enough to take the chill off. The cold temps don't really bother us much. And we also did plug into our generator and turn on the heated mattresses for about an hour before bed - but really the mattresses didn't even get all that warm to be honest. We only tried them because we never had before (we just got this new Rockwood 2516G pup this year). My question is this - we noticed when we were closing up the popup that our mattresses had quite a bit of condensation on the bottoms -- what would cause this? The weekend was dry, but was a bit on the humid side. Strange thing is, our canvas/tent material was all dry - no condensation anywhere to be found inside the camper - just on the bottoms of the mattresses. When we got home we had to take our mattresses out to dry, which is a bit of a pain. I'd love to avoid this in the future - any ideas how to avoid this and why it happened in the first place? Are the heated mattresses to blame?

2. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

cold n heat clash resulting in condensation.

3. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Moist air hitting the cold plywood, trapped by the mattress so it can't breath = condensation

4. Hankster

Hankster Member

Thanks - I understand the concept of condensation! [;)] I'm more curious as to why the mattresses were the only items on which condensation formed, as no where else in the popup was even a drop to be seen! And if other folks who have used heated mattresses experienced the same thing... I am not going to use the heated function of the mattresses if condensation is an inevitable result which can't be avoided! So, to be more clear, has anyone else with heated mattresses had the same experience with condensation? And if so, do you have any tips on how to avoid this? Thanks much!

5. cham5

cham5 Member

I have heated mattresses too and use them along with the gas furnace. We camped at about 38 degrees a couple of weeks ago and I just leave the roof vent cracked an inch and a couple of the windows cracked at the corners about 5 or 6 inches. We did not have any condensation issues with the mattresses. I did have a little bit of condensation on the floor beneath the dogs bed though. Nothing major.

6. Hankster

Hankster Member

Thanks Cham5 - I wonder why we had so much condensation on our heated mattresses then - weird.... [?]

7. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Don''t use the heated function in our mattresses as we boondock everywhere we go.
    However damp or moisture in mattress is normal even in the home. The body continues to sweat in bed and the mattresses absorb this. ( I am sure you know this).
    Like any mattress you should air them out at times.(Turn them over etc)
    In the case of the camper mattresses I would either air out. ( Not that practical as the camper is generally closed until you want to use it, so doing while camping is not really an option)
    Or you could leave them undressed when you arrive and set up then turn on the mattress and leave them for a while to dry out? (Could take a good 6 to 8 hours though)

8. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

I always have a bit of moisture on the bottom of my mattresses in my hybrid. I can't answer your question though. :)

9. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

It happens in my HTT all the time, winter camping the mattress will freeze to the bunk.

10. jlynn58

jlynn58 Active Member

Need to have air moving. I also cracked vent no condensation. My owner's manual on my new TT says to have air movement so condensation doesn't form.

11. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

In a TT your bed is not hanging in the cold air like a PuP or HTT

12. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@Yak - but a TT is still a small enclosed space, so condensation can still form on cool surfaces. We've learned a bit over the 2 years we've had our, so have less of an issue in cold or rainy weather than we did at first. We found it wasn't as easy in our Retro to keep windows cracked open as it was in our pup, since it rains in. Adding vent covers (MaxxAir) helped, and we pin open the vent flap on the stove hood. Under certain conditions, we still have condensation on the windows, etc.

In ours, we have an island bed, so it isn't hanging out over air like a pup bed, but the space underneath is definitely colder than the main cabin.

13. sierrapup

sierrapup Active Member

only used the heat feature on the mattress 1 time...did not notice any moisture, but I also have 3'' foam pad under it.
    maybe consider some sort of insulator under the mattress

14. jlynn58

jlynn58 Active Member

Under my in TT is just cold storage. With no heat. If I don't open vent a little my windows get moisture on them. You need air movement.

15. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

But, in a TT you don't get condensation under the mattress like a pup or htt. My vents are open 24/7, I get no moisture anywhere but under the mattress. 63 degrees inside, 9 outside my mattress freezes to the bunk end

16. gruss

gruss Active Member

condensation was probably due as much to your body heat and sweat than the heaters. We've noticed it a time or 2 but nothing major.

Never tried it but putting up a skirt around the bunk ends would probably help. Keep the cold air from flowing under the plywood should work?