Condensation from the A/C unit

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Grandpa Don, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Active Member

The condensation from my A/C unit just runs off of the top in no particular direction. Has anyone found a way to channel it away from the bunk canvases? I'm not sure I like that.

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Use a cut (length wise) pool noodle or some J trim cut a few inches longer then width of the roof. Install on the ends of the roof to collect and allow water to run off..

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I’ve used the pool noodle trick combined with a ever so slight downhill slope by not snugging up back stabilizers as much as the front. This encourages the run off towards the back. However because the lip on my popup is huge, the pool noodle doesn’t stay very well on mine. I considered gluing channel to the lip To direct the water to the backside away from the bunkend and awning. Kind of like a gutter for the popup. However I don’t want a permanent overhang so it’s still a thought in process.

4. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Active Member

I was thinking along the same lines as you guys. But I was thinking more about the plastic conduit that you hide wire in when running wires inside of an office. It has sticky tape on the backside and a channel that closes up. It's pretty small stuff. I want to see what others do before I install something.

5. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

My POPUP trailer has to be pretty LEVEL end to end as my front door will drag if not somewhat level. I have a bubble gauge here at the bottom of the door.
    [​IMG]

I always drop the back side of the roof alittle lower than the patio side just for the A/C run-off... That seems to help my setup and the inch or so lowering of the back side is not noticeable inside the trailer...

I thought about gluing down some rubber strips on the roof to guide the water flow but never did do it...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have an ABS roof on mine, with a rubber gasket. The pool noodle trick doesn't work that well on mine. I generally try to tweak the level just a smidge to get it to run off to the side. I also use pugs, which also helps protect the canvas.

You can use a rope as well. The water will wick down the rope and you can more or less direct it where to drip, as long as the angle of your roof is right.

There was one member on here that made a pretty nice drain system with quick connect fittings and such, but there was some custom machining involved I think. I have thought about trying to cobble together something that might work as well, but haven't had the real need to do so yet.

7. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

A4B6CD5E-A4F0-426A-A2D9-6B9368D61454.jpeg 9AEE17E0-6208-4624-B56B-9AD51404C4C8.jpeg We are camping now. We forgot the noodle, so we cut a section out of a plastic water bottle. Because it was still dripping a little too close to the canvas, we cut the bottom off another bottle and added it to the end.

I drew on the picture to show how the bottle was cut — I didn’t want to remove it while it was raining...

Sjm9911 and WrkrBee like this.