Condensation

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by sblanck, Dec 16, 2018.

1. sblanck

sblanck Member

Greetings,

On our last outing I noticed a dripping from the underside of the pup. The liquid was coming from where the propane line enters to the heater. We do not use our heater because it drains a tank pretty quickly. The heater, fuse box inverter and electrical storage cabinet share one large cabinet. There is a panel between all three. I looked inside the electrical cord storage area and could not see anything. I also pulled the metal screen on the inside on the heater and couldn't see anything. I haven't looked below where the inverter is yet because the camper was plugged in and I didn't want to get shocked. From what I can tell from the underside of the camper it has leaked water? before. Any ideas? We typically camp in spring and summer. This was our first cold camp in 5 years (Texas cold) It got down to 38 one night and the high was 51 during the day.

2. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Was any propane flowing before you noticed the water ?

3. sblanck

sblanck Member

The heater was not used. Propane was on feeding the whole system so we could cook and heat water.

4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Could be condensate dripping off the gas line. Don't know what the dew point temperature was that day, but if the gas line temperature dropped below the dew point water will condensate on it. Water will then find a low point to collect and drop off.

PopUpSteve and gladecreekwy like this.
  5. sblanck

sblanck Member

For me it was something new I had never noticed before and had some concerns. As long as its a normal thing that can happen due to atmospherics then I am ok with it. Just wanted to hear if others had dealt with it.

6. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I had the similar problem and solved it by replacing the hot water seal.

upload_2018-12-17_9-36-26.jpeg

upload_2018-12-17_9-35-50.jpeg

upload_2018-12-17_9-35-12.jpeg

7. sblanck

sblanck Member

8. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

With connectors there is no need for no rubber fitting. If you saw the pictures of the plastic pipes with copper elbow, these are for cold and hot water. I have not shown a picture of gas line. The end of the elbow needs a good rubber seal. The seal for the cold water had no damages or wear but for the hot water, it is a different story. The seal for the hot water was worn bad enough to cause water leak. The heat has tendency to wear out the rubber seals.

9. sblanck

sblanck Member

I have no issues with my water heater. This is condensation dripping from the gas line leading to my heater.

10. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Insulate your gas line to prevent the condensation.