confused as to how some people can book before others. sliding?

Discussion in 'Reservation Systems' started by refinedkey, Jun 16, 2014.

1. refinedkey

refinedkey New Member

Can someone please explain to me what sliding a reservation is? This is for Texas State Parks. I have tried to book it you can only book 333 days in advance. When you do you can only book from say may15, 2015 up to 15 days afterward but I see people have already booked beyond that. They are called" SLIDERS" how does that work?

2. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

I have heard of people booking as you mention above, with booking the window plus the allowed 14 days, etc.. but there is no way to book beyond it. Are you sure that when you look, you are not seeing "X" as in unavailable (in the case of ReserveAmerica), or are they showing as "R" past the window? If someone booked a week ago but did the extra 15 days, that would mean only 7 days would be after the window you're looking at right now..

Using this system, I could see why there would be no easy way to tell when a campsite will be available, until the morning of 333 days in advance..

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I don't know how "sliding" works, that is a new term to me, so maybe it is specific to the Texas State Parks.

In some of the places we camp, the open reservation window is counted from the first day of camping. More unusual, but we've encountered it a few times, the open window is counted from the last day of camping.
    Either option means there are quite a few combinations of just when someone can make their reservation, depending on arrival or departure date and length of stay. Most places we go can be reserved 4-6 months in advance, though sometimes 365 days for group sites. It can also get a little strange at how they count months vs. days. We made some this year that begin on the 31st of a month, so we were able to make them on the 30th of the month 4 months in advance.

[And yes, for all of you who prefer to never make reservations, this is possibly a ridiculous conversation, but some of us really like reservations for many trips. Reduces my blood pressure considerably to know I have a place to stop at the end of a driving day. My fall trip this year, w/o DH, may be mostly stopping as I find suitable places, but I have planned twice the usual length of time we take to travel to visit family.]

4. chrisxs5

chrisxs5 Test

I believe that refers to booking for day 333 for a 2 week stay taking you to day 347. then you just call and change your reservations for day 344 to day 347. So you are now booked past 333. You slid past it, your a slider.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

5. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

Chris, that would make sense, but at least in all of the States I have camped in, if you book out the 333 days for the 2 week stay, they make you then wait 18 days (or just more than is the limit at one time) before changing the reservation. Your state may vary?

6. refinedkey

refinedkey New Member

Ok I think I get it now. The trick is to get in at the right time. I have been looking at reservations and you can see people "slide" over. As they do campsites become available that weren't yesterday.
    We don't have an 18 day waiting period. You do however get charged 5$ every time you make a change. And I guess for some it's worth it to get the date. Here Texas it gives you a number of campsites available not just an 'x' or 'R'. I guess the trick is to book early as possible even if don't need those sites and every14 or 10 days change your reservation. correct me if wrong. Thank you guys. You have shed some light on subject.

7. chrisxs5

chrisxs5 Test

Most of my trips are planned with about 2 weeks notice, so I havent needed any good tricks. Just my charm!

[8D]