Confused, frustrated, unable to tell what it is, how much it weighs!!

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Penny Logan, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Penny Logan

Penny Logan The traveling teepee in her Dreamcatcher

[?:~{] it was advertised as a 1999 19' Apache hybrid, well now I know it is a 21 Mesa, twin axles hybrid. So Apache sold out to Sun Valley DBA as Sun-Lite, out of Elkhardt IN. I have searched and search, and can find nothing on this model. I was going to get another hitch. Man says it is 3,000 to 3,5000, my truck will tow 5,000. So with gear and all, I thought I needed a class II hitch, but now I see about electric brake, anto sway bars, etc. and I am so frustrated......The truck hitch place, say they have to order, can pay $85 for 2 day delivery, but no guarantee on it being here. I don't even know what to order.
    TV is 1995 Toyota t 100 with the reece hitch in the bumper. Please help the trailer is listed on craigslist, Little Rock AR on April 19th I believe.
    Please help this old 51 year old woman, soon to be retired, that wants to leave all this rat race behind and relax!!
    Don't worry once I get it home, then I will learn how to drive with it and back it up!! Ha ha, thanks ya'll

2. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

not sure I would be towing a HTT with a ball mount on my bumper. You need a frame mounted hitch and good electronic brakes wired to the truck at the very least.

also, and I am not trying to be rude, but... you have at least 3 different threads going on in the forums about this same trailer. It would be easier for all of us if all the information was contained in 1 ongoing thread instead of spread all over.

3. Penny Logan

thanks I am new here and appreciate any construtive comments..

4. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

with that kind trailer, I think you need a class vi hitch---not a class ii, because you'll need a WD to prevent some towing problem!--sorry I'm not any expert of this....my TV --2008 Tundra maybe can handle it better--I am worry the T100 --too close to its limited!

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Penny don't get a Class II hitch for you truck ...... invest in a Class III ( it will have a 2" square opening). Next we need more info about the trailer. Correct year, manufacture, and model. I would look at the NADA site for RV pricing and as you search for the price near the end will be the light weight. Do you need/want a trailer this large? Any trailer you look at you should sit and spend some time in to see if it right for you and your family.

6. CarNutCass

CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

I agree with Raycfe, a Class III hitch would work best for this application. They can be purchased at most any hitch shop or RV service / repair place. Some U-haul locations sell and install hitches as well. As far as that goes, your trusty mechanic can install one for you. I installed one on a friend's Chevy Equinox last week with no trouble at all. [8D] [MOD]

As far as the Apache goes, I'd trust the data plate above all else. If it says Sun-Lite then I'd base my research upon that. Although, last year when I bought our HTT I looked at a 2002 Apache and found little info. I ended up not buying it due to a soft bathroom floor.

Good luck and take your time.

7. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

Here is an example of a site that shows you what is needed, the hitch, ball and wiring. Any decent garage can install this, or if you know a shade tree mechanic, you could use them.

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Toyota/T-100+Pickup/1995/75144.html?vehicleid=19954142

No doubt you can find other hitches that fit, some more expensive, some less. But if eTrailer advertises it, you can trust it will fit.

I don't know about the Toyota, without reading the manual, but bumper hitches are usually restricted in weight to 2000 lbs and add to that, are probably the wrong height for towing that trailer. Get the height too far off, and you can have trailer sway.

Hope that helps.

8. CarNutCass

CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

Forgot to mention, I'd definitely opt for an anti-sway device and weight distribution hitch. They spread the load more evenly and significantly improve TV driveability.

9. Penny Logan

Thank you all for your help!! :) The hitch is a work in progress, and I hope it will be done for me to go get it this weekend. I am so excited, but it is a little scary at the same time. Will keep you all updated, and hopefully in the years to come, I can help some people as you have helped me.... Thanks alot !!

10. Penny Logan

Got the hitch on my truck, class III with 5,000 and 7,500 weight distribution. The very nice man, in AR is holding it for me to go see Friday by noon. I think this is my dream come true. Will post pictures if all works out! Still doing my research [RTM]

11. Penny Logan

Headed to AR to take a look at this HTT, wish me luck! Will post results when I get back.

12. Penny Logan

I got my n2u hybrid home. Averaged 21.5 mpg up there and 10 home, but that is what I expected. I love it..... been looking in every crook and crany... Will try to post pictures this weekend.
    Thanks to all that offered advise and cheered me me.
    I am one Happy Camper :)

13. RumbleStrip

RumbleStrip New Member

Congrats on your NTU hybird!

14. real lite virgin

real lite virgin Rob,Suzanne & Jessie - Black Lab

Congratulations on the trailer purchase. Thought you were excited to get it but still no pics posted so I guess you weren't that excited..........Just kidding of course.

Rob

15. Penny Logan

Rob's Doghouse, got pictures, but I can't figure out how to post [:(]

16. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

Pictures: Open an account at Photobucket, or some such hosting site, post your pictures in an album there, hit the 'Insert Image' button whilst posting on here and paste the 'Direct Link' code into the space in the middle, et voila!!

17. cuckoo

cuckoo Active Member

18. redfragglerocker

redfragglerocker Jen & Mike, Andrew (8) and Justin (5)

Here are the manufacturer specs for the trailer:

http://camping-trailers.com/sunlite-8516-sale.htm

Model: 210RBH
    Travel Length: 22' 2"
    Travel Width: 7' 6"
    Travel Height: 8' 10"
    Interior Open Height: 6' 6"
    Fresh water: 31 gal
    Grey water: 30 gal
    Black water: 30 gal
    Tire size: C13
    Hitch Weight # (approx.): 385