Connecting two batteries with jumpers

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by arge, Jul 28, 2020.

1. arge

arge Active Member

oh man... if they get sick, they will be kicked out from daycare. I had to work from home almost 3 months this year and trust me, there were only two great days: the first one and the last one. I was so happy when they reopened the daycare. To have three kids in daycare is not cheap and I used to bitch a lot about the cost. I am not doing that anymore. They deserve every penny. yeap, I am feed by my own fears and I guess this is the real one: the perspective to stay again between 4 walls with my kids 24/7

Sjm9911 likes this.
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I remember daycare well, and we o ly have 1 kid. Up in jersey it was 2400 a month for kids in dipers. And too boot the kid was home most of that time being sick. After that , she was hardly ever sick. They build up the immunities young and become resilient. Me too, i got sick every time she did. It was bad. Now i havent been sick in like 6 years.

3. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

It doesn't matter during parallel discharge. The batteries will find common voltage and add their amp capacity together. It would make a difference if they were permanently linked but as long as they are separately charged to full capacity before they're joined it won't matter.

In fact, if you have the charge line on your TV enabled you are parallel charging two dissimilar batteries every time you tow.

arge likes this.
  4. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

Kids are pretty durable for temps and as sjm9911 indicates, cold doesn't cause illness (or we would be sick all winter here in MN). Worst case on the furnace is to turn it on for 10 minutes in the morning when getting up. I think you will find if it gets down to 60 at night outside, you will be a bit warmer than that inside. Main thing is to get them out camping and having fun.

sherpa and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. sherpa

sherpa New Member

I have a second deep cycle that I charge at home and bring with me. I put it on the ground under the main battery and connect them with jumpers. No issue doing that.

You can even unhook it and charge it (solar, if there is no light at your site but nearby, or borrow an outlet somewhere) and hook it back up. As the one commenter said, the two batteries will level out with each other - one charging the other till they are equal voltage.

Nothing special about it.

6. poppy65

poppy65 Member

7. poppy65

poppy65 Member

I use a solar

8. poppy65

poppy65 Member

Sorry, solar battery charger.

Alan likes this.
  9. Stereo56

Stereo56 New Member

I'm so glad you'll be using a second battery to tide you over. I really don't like it when people run their vehicles to charge their battery when camped due to the noise, fumes, and pollution. It is my hope that all of us will consider our children's long-term viability as well as their short-term. Global warming is real and will potentially destroy the natural environments we adults are currently seeking out for respite. Every little action adds up. I am not suggesting staying at home - we use much less water and energy when camping - but rather, please be conscientious about your actions for the future of the planet our children will be inheriting. Thank you.

10. Snowman

Snowman Member

Here's my take and then what I do. I keep the thermostat in my HOUSE set at 63 during the day, and 55 at night. My kids have never complained of being cold if they have some blankets. I you give them some extra blankets, I bet that you'll realize that they'll push them off to the side. 4 years old is an old enough age that they will reach for them if they get cold, unlike an infant.
    Now, as for the camper, the furnace is the main killer. I took my kids camping to the Sand Dunes in April and it got to 17F at night (sunny and 60s during the day - we were in shorts sledding on the dunes) so my furnace was definitely running over night. I had one group 27 battery installed on the pup and a second sitting on a box on the ground (literally the ground. like dirt). These were connected by 5AWG battery cables ($10.95/pair on amazon) between the two. So maybe it's not super pretty, but who cares. We spent 4 days camping with the furnace running over night and never had issues. Lights (LED) were on quite a bit in evenings as well as we played games.
    Invest $10-15 on some cables like these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAB9U7A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and you'll be fine.
    And bring some extra blankets and I bet that you won't even need the furnace, though. Good luck and happy camping!

11. Ty Bower

Ty Bower New Member

I'm not sure what you've paid for the "couple" of batteries you've already killed. I suspect for the cost of a new battery, you could have purchased an entry level solar system (panel, charge controller, extension cables). I'm not aware of any reason why AGM strictly "requires" MPPT, but if you insist on the technology it can be had at reasonable cost. A 10 amp charge controller is plenty to manage a single 100 watt solar panel. That 100 watt panel can make up to 500 watts of power over five hours of good, bright sun. This works out to roughly 36 amp hours at 13.8 volts DC, which is roughly half of your AGM's capacity. And, you ought not be discharging any lead based storage more than 50%, unless you want it to fail very early.

I throw the panel on the roof before I crank it up, and let the extension cables hang down the side. The charge controller is temporarily attached (think zip ties) to the trailer frame, near the battery. I'm working on building a more permanent solution on a small piece of plywood, which I can then mount inside the PUP.

I'm not promoting any particular brand or model of equipment, but simply noting that the major components can be found on Amazon for less than $250 CDN.

https://www.amazon.ca/Controller-EPEVER-Negative-Intelligent-Regulator/dp/B01CY6X31U/ref=sr_1_6
    https://www.amazon.ca/ECO-WORTHY-Panneaux-solaires-monocristallins-compacte/dp/B00V4844F4/ref=sr_1_5
    https://www.amazon.ca/ECO-WORTHY-So...01NBR3PN1/ref=pd_sbs_86_4/141-9156144-1185620

With little ones around, I would be uncomfortable leaving jumper cables connected to batteries. Purchase some 12 ga insulated wire, color coded to match the wiring on your PUP (black and white, or black and red?). Crimp some large ring terminals on the ends, as they cannot easily dislodge from the threaded post on the battery. The second battery can sit on the ground near the main battery. I would connect the two fully charged batteries in parallel at the beginning of the trip, while their SOC is close to each other. You don't really want to connect a "full" battery to a "depleted" battery, otherwise there will be a large rush of current as the two attempt to equalize.

arge likes this.
  12. LewisCHolcroft

LewisCHolcroft New Member

Not sure how comfortable you are around DC power.

You may want to pickup some Anderson connectors. A kit like this https://www.batterycablesusa.com/4-...MI3YL5qdL36gIVtOy1Ch0ixQsPEAQYCyABEgKIDfD_BwE connecting one set to your existing battery and one to your spare (making sure you wire them for parallel use). You can even make an extension cable.
    The connections are designed to carry the amperage.

Many folks run a set from the TV battery to the trailer for charging as they can carry more load and charge the trailer batteries at a higher rate then the 7 pin.

If your pup does not have a battery monitor you may want to invest in an inexpensive one. This will allow you to see remaining power in the pup battery and may reduce some of the anxiety associated with camping. That way you can free up time to enjoy the day rather than charging your battery just in case.

If your long term plan is solar. Consider a battery monitor from a vendor you are considering.

Above all else remember when things don’t go as planed you learn new things and have more camp fire tales.

Lewis

Alan likes this.
  13. arge

arge Active Member

I have my second battery on charger, have the jumpers, sleeping bags etc. Just several more hours away and we will jump in. I have to pay to the dentist a visit first, picking up the kids from daycare and there we go.
    @Poppy: solar charger is not an option for me as I will not be using it again and it will be wasted resources, not only as money spent, but as unused equipment (pollution).

The kids will be fine. I am concerned about their well-being, not being a helicopter, but there are reasons for that. We have a medical history behind. I am affected by this. I am writing here for the last 30 minutes and deleting and unable to finish the sentence. Its a heavy weight. We are good now.

14. arge

arge Active Member

At this point I am 100% I am not looking into the solar systems. I will see down on the road, in a couple of years or so. I didn't did too much research, what I have been told is that I need a MPPT controller for the agm batteries. I will see then. For that reason I invested in the agm battery, as requires less care, maintenance etc. To get me over several years and I will see down on the road. The other batteries I killed them letting them to stay discharged way too long time or forget them connected etc.
    I corrected that now, I have a kill switch installed, at least I can turn it off and cut the power if I need to leave the trailer for a week or more before etc.

15. rabird

rabird Howdy!

wrong, time for that later!

16. Alan

Alan Active Member

For the price of a new battery you can utilize a solar charger. It will charge all day long so you have a full battery at night. With a little experimenting you'll know how long the battery will last, but I suspect a good, fully charged battery will last one night no problem - unless you're not frugal about your power usage. The link below is only a suggestion, there are lots of solar chargers that should fulfill your needs.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tend...&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583657821606678&th=1

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  17. arge

arge Active Member

Actually the 70amp is getting me over 3 nights with light use of furnace, led lights and CO detector (summer time). No issues there. I had done this before (cutting off the battery during the day time, so no parasite consumers) Of course, it will go way under 50%, but I am ok with that. Just this time I will use the water pump, fridge and I am pretty sure I will need more power. Having a second battery sitting around, it will just make sense to bring it over, there was no way that I was going to pay for a new one now. Yes, if it was the case to pay for a new battery, maybe it was better to look a bit into the solar options.

Alan likes this.
  18. finsnspurs

finsnspurs Almost a Gpa!

As I'm reading all the wonderful responses, I haven't run across one that mentions bunk end covers. If you retain the heat you wish to have at night, before bedtime, the furnace doesn't run thus savings power. Just another thought. Happy camping.

arge likes this.
  19. Alan

Alan Active Member

Good luck on your trip. Have fun and stay safe! Our PUP came with a solar panel system, that's integrated with the converter. I have no idea of how many watts or any of that but it allows us to use power all day long while keeping the battery charged. It seems to work very well. I also have no idea of what it may have cost, but I doubt it was cheap. At any rate I see a lot of camp hosts and other campers with portable solar panel set ups, I think they are pretty easy to integrate into the camper systems.

20170604_174101.jpg 20170604_174205.jpg Solar Panel.jpg

Attached Files:

arge likes this.
  20. arge

arge Active Member

Got them, also refletix