considering a pop up need your help

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by dirtyleft, Mar 29, 2009.

1. dirtyleft

dirtyleft New Member

I am new to camper and know nothing about them. I have a person wanting to sell me a 10 foot 1977 Starcraft pop up for 300 buck. It has a few problems. . The corner of the back wall is rotten and is pulling way from the side walls and needs to be braced. I really dont know that that means and there is a tear in the cavas . I seen pic of the camper it looks ok but I want to know if these issues can be repaired. I am just looking for something cheap to find out if we even like camping or not. thanks your help is needed.

2. jeff h

jeff h New Member

you need to see the camper in person and pop up. dont just buy from a pix. i did and it cost me a lot more money than i wanted to spend. but i did have a lot of fun fixing and doing some mods to it. anything can be repaired. 300 is a great price.

2000 jeep wrangler
    1991 roockwood xl 1006
    jeff and gail

3. jeff h

jeff h New Member

also look at the floor for soft spots.

2000 jeep wrangler
    1991 roockwood xl 1006
    jeff and gail

4. ohpupgang

ohpupgang Member

It may sound like a good deal, but be cautious of other issues that may arise. Have you been able to raise and lower the top? Check the cables for fraying, inspect roof for damage, check for weak spots in the floor, and insure that it is road worthy. Are you willing to spend a lot of time on fixing the camper up. It may be cheap at first, but the repairs could cost you more then you think.

Hope this help. I sure you will enjoy camping, as my family and I love it.

Mark

5. Buddycamp

Buddycamp New Member

Yes buying a cheap pop up sounds like a good deal. I want you to keep a few things in mind.

How handy are you, and how much time and money do you want to put into this camper?

What is the condition of the roof & lift system?

Is there a local Starcraft dealer near you to get parts if you need them?

Just remember with the age of this camper, its best years are gone, unless your going to do a full overhaul.

6. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

Anything can be repaired with time and patience, but you have to ask yourself wether you have these in abundance.

Most PUPs are fairly simply built with a steel trailer ladder frame, with a wooden framed camper box, clad in aluminum on top. There are several examples on this site where someone took apart the PUP and replaced the wooden framing.

Assuming the worst, replacing the canvas entirely is just under $1000 if you do the install yourself. So you should consider this a $1300 camper (can you find a camper with good canvas for $1300 is the question). If the tears are minor, and there is no mildew/moul issues, you might get by with canvas repair.

As buddy suggests, the lift system is critical, as that probably the hardest part to find -cables are easy to replace but the whiffletree itself...

I own a 76 Lionel, but I bought it without any major issues, aside from minor canvas issues.

You need to see this thing put up to see how well the whole thing operates.

James

1976 Lionel LPL 80
    2002 Mazda MPV, 16' Canoe
    Wife/3 Kids/Black Lab

7. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

See how bad the rot is in that corner. Our '68 Starcraft was separating at a rear corner when we got it too, but I was able to bring it back together properly. I'm still on the fence about whether to repair the floor rot in that corner or scrap it. We, like you, bought it cheap to see if we liked it(and each other) enough to go camping.
    Turns out we do, so maybe in the next year or so we'll look into a newer unit.

How much are utility trailers going for in your area?