Considering an Aliner for family?

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Enigmacamper, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Try fixing a meal while four people are up and moving around.

The issue isn't seating or sleeping space, the issue is lack of floor space and storage space.

Also keep in mind that those beds have to be opened and closed every day. Try to do that while four people are changing clothes. Where does the bedding go when the beds are packed away for the day?

2. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Well-Known Member

Sorry for the late response... Just got back from camping/fishing at the lake. We went Off Road to a nice spot along the shoreline. Love the higher clearance which allowed us to traverse easily over ruts along the trail.

I won’t like hotels either. Bed bugs don’t discriminate whether you’re in a posh hotel or low budget motel. I know my bedding is clean or recently washed inside my Aliner.

I have a small family of three. Before college, our son used the dinette bed regularly. Now he rarely camps with us. If he wants to bring a girlfriend, they can sleep in a tent or inside the truck topper. Nowadays, MIL sometimes join us and sleeps on the dinette bed.

Aliners interior decor is utilitarian. Plain and clean lines. Very little glamour or decorative. Some Aframes have bigger fresh water tanks which adds more weight. Not all Aframes are built with the same materials. Each builder does something slightly different than the other.

You should take a look at QuickSilver by Camplite. A very light weight tent trailer. Can be towed by many vehicles. Would give you more room and bed space for a growing family. A great alternative to an Aliner. Something that can provide shelter today and into the future when the kids become teens.

https://www.livinlite.com/products/quicksilver-tent-campers/

Every family has different needs and camping styles. Good luck searching.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

3. kudzu

kudzu Active Member

Your post reminds me how differently everyone camps. We don't cook inside. I realize mine is designed for indoor or outdoor cooking, but I've never wanted to cook inside except for the microwave. Instead of having a stove taking up counter space I have plastic storage drawers. When we fold up the camper I set those on the beds or the floor. Our beds are always in bed mode. So we never have to worry about about. An advantage to this is that we have all the space under the beds available for storage.

Even so, Customer has hit on the main problem with 10-12' box A-frames. Lack of floor space is the real issue. We have comical & sometimes annoying moments trying to negotiate around each other. If we each pull a storage bin out from under a bed, we have just taken up all the floor space. Four people changing clothes at the same time? Forget about it. It's not happening in my camper. When it's more than two people, we have to take turns.

Though it has the luxuries of frig, microwave, furnace & A/C, my Aliner is still basically a metal tent. If you could camp with your family in an overcrowded 6.5' x 12' cabin tent, then you can camp in an Aliner. The key is to sleep inside & live outside. Rainy days take tolerance, a sense of humor & some creativity.

CivilizedOne, Byrd_Huntr and shuang2 like this.
  4. Enigmacamper

Enigmacamper Active Member

Thanks DiamondGirl!
    I've seen so much about these quicksilver trailers your comment made me finally really looked into them today. They're quite impressive and I think if we wanted a soft-side they would probably be THE way to go. I can totally see the appeal. However the more we see of soft-side the more it becomes clear that hard side is an absolute #1 requirement. A soft side just will not work for what we're intending, though the extra space must be just lovely! When you factor in having to be light enough to pull with our Subaru and small enough to store in our garage you're pretty much back to the Aliner :tongue:.

The aliners (specifically the scout) seem to fill all our requirements, the only issue is space. There's no question it could be an issue, but honestly I could see up to six people in that trailer without too much fuss (two "full" bunks instead of dinette perhaps). Perhaps that just speaks to my naiveté! Storage is unquestionably an issue, I think the "under couch" storage is ridiculously hard to get to. Does everybody have a cargo door on the outside for that? The Scout does not come standard with it but we might be able to get it if it's worth it.

5. Enigmacamper

Your post made me think of an earlier one about everyone camping in the kitchen to simulate the space of the camper. The main cooking area of my small kitchen is like a galley, quite small however I find myself cooking around a dog, husband, kid and likely a bunched up rug, chair and vacuum...I guess it's what you get used to [LOL]. I also don't anticipate cooking in the camper much (if mama's on vacation, she wants to eat food she did not cook!), if we do I anticipate very simple things like eggs or instant oatmeal. I don't expect us to do hardly anything in there but nap/sleep, get dressed, use portapotti, brush teeth etc. and leave! Even in rain if we're on vacation I don't see why we wouldn't get in the car and go somewhere. Now evenings are another story, after dark when things are mostly closed down I could definitely see us all in there hopefully playing a board game or reading, but the evenings are what could for sure get interesting.

The hard thing is, we've rarely camped and never in a camper so it's so hard to gauge what you ACTUALLY need!! I doubt we would hardly ever go camping purely to camp, it would be more like a rolling room that parks at campgrounds and RV parks for us to explore whatever town is there or beach etc.

All this feedback has been really useful I think to narrow down our expectations, please don't hesitate to mention anything I might be overlooking :)

PointyCamper likes this.
  6. Enigmacamper

Is your camper a 12" box or the bigger one?

7. Enigmacamper

I can definitely see how the frustration could build with storage...are there any clever mods people have done? I've seen some shelves and the like but the couch storage seems the head-scratcher to me.

8. Enigmacamper

I am sure the extra room would be absolutely fantastic. I am curious why you'd be uncomfortable towing your Classic with the Outback? I do think it's right at the weight limit (I wouldn't want to either but I've never towed anything large so I don't know), but is there anything specific about it that would make you extra nervous?

9. DiamondGirl

Most Aliners have cargo doors. I’ve gotten very creative with storage inside my Aliner Classic. Everything is organized and containers are labeled. Since we love to glamp when camping, I bring everything including the kitchen sink. There are some large items which are transported in the truck bed/topper. We mainly camp off road and away from campgrounds so bringing camping furniture is necessary.

Here’s how I store my items...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-Wide-3-Drawer-Cart-White/8282897

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-2-Bin-Storage-System-White/34317211?variantFieldId=actual_color

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Plano-3-Tier-Shelving-Unit-12-X-20/194140710

Aliner has recently posted their NEW Titanium 10 & 12 series. Very sweet looking with large 15” Off Road wheels, lifted and black diamond plate on the front and back.

http://aliner.com/campers/titanium-series-10-12/

Good luck searching.

PointyCamper likes this.
  10. kudzu

kudzu Active Member

Yes, it's a 12' box.

11. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

One easy mod, to access the underbed storage benches, I made was to cut the end 1/3 of the plywood under the cushion and attach a piece of plywood to the back(back of the trailer, not bench back) piece underneath as a support on the joint. That makes it easy to access under the bench by lifting up the small end without having to dislodge the entire setup. We can actually do this with a foam mattress in place. There is a lot of room under there.

It is also fairly easy to add an outside access door. We did it this year. It is a 'done in 1 day project'.
    These flex totes are good to squeeze in:
    https://www.amazon.com/Ziploc-Flexi...d=1512098281&sr=8-1&keywords=Ziploc+tote&th=1

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  12. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

I did something similar to access under couch/bed storage, using a piano hinge, and did not need to add any additional support. The couch lifts up with all cushions in place for easy access. With just the two of us, we probably don't use half the storage available in our Ranger 15.

[​IMG]

13. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

Nh, that is cool. Our setup is a little different- we lift up the end and can access our space from the side of the bench as the dinette is made into a fulltime bed. The "hinge" point is towards the middle of the bench, thus the support board attached to the "fixed" end. Maybe sometime we will make the full hinge bed setup but we have a lot of storage space under the bed on the floor. And we use all the space we can find in our liitle Sport. A bit easier now that we are not traveling w 3 dogs.

14. Enigmacamper

I am trying to picture exactly what this looks like, do you have a photo?

15. Enigmacamper

Woah I hadn't seen those new titanium ones yet!
    Where do you put all the stacking storage pieces you linked above? I'd love to see a picture of your glamping setup, I'm not a great packer but I do want to be comfortable so I'm probably underestimating all we would like to bring eventually. [LOL]

16. Enigmacamper

This looks really far more user friendly, I wonder why they don't just come this way. Did you have to find very very short screws to attach the piano hinge to those thin pieces of plywood? I see you don't have an exterior luggage door on the left side, do you wish that you did or does this work just fine?

17. Enigmacamper

Thanks for mentioning those flexible totes, those make a ton of sense for those storage spaces, I was wondering how we might be able to find containers that would fit just right [LOL]

18. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

I picked up the piano hinges (the water tank and pump area is hinged as well) at home depot and it came with all the short screws. They do poke out (just a little little) underneath, but not enough to bother anything (and the storage area is never packed to the brim anyway.)

No, have not needed an outside door yet. If I was limited to a SUV that was packed full, then I might want access to this area for long stuff - but since I have a truck with a bed cover, I have not needed to store anything back there. We store bedding in those plastic containers shown.

19. DiamondGirl

EnigmaCamper,....
    Here’s where I got a couple of ideas for storage organizing with plastic shelves and drawers. I couldn’t use a taller shelf as in the video because it’s wider than the width of my sink counter. I went with the smaller size and it works.

• The Plano shelf sits above my sink. It’s our media center: TV, BlueRay player, Bose speaker, a charging Center using a power strip w/usb ports attached on the right side of shelf. We added a paper towel holder on the bedside/left side of the shelf. Tea cup hooks to hang keys and headlamps. The fridge thermometer is Velcro on the front beneath the TV for monitoring easily. We can remove it to monitor cooling down the fridge from inside the house, driving to and from destinations from inside the truck.
    • The two bin drawer sits above the fridge counter. It holds our food pantry. The original stove is not affixed to the counter.
    • The three drawer dresser sits on the table top. We rarely eat inside. We keep it outside when using the dinette bed.
    • Small plastic bins with lids are stacked and stored on the nightstand/microwave cabinet.
    All containers sit on the floor during transport. Additional storage can be found under the bed, microwave cabinet, beneath the sink and dinette benches. And exterior cargo storages.

Good luck searching.

20. TNW

TNW Member

There are lots of things you can do to optimize space in these Aliners, I made and installed drawers in the cabinet by the door plus cut a new outside access door for the rear compartment, under the bed, as well as cutting an opening below the bed to gain access to the center section of that space. Here are a few photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PointyCamper, Fbird and kudzu like this.