Considering an Aliner for family?

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Enigmacamper, Nov 5, 2017.

1. BigTex56

BigTex56 New Member

Ever consider using a tent as the kids get older? That could eliminate the need for a larger camper and TV.

2. BigTex56

BigTex56 New Member

I don’t own an Aliner yet but am actually looking for a good used one now. Prefer the Classic but undecided about dormers. Anyone have any input on getting no dormers / soft dormers / hard dormers? Seems useful over the dinette end but I don’t see much of an advantage over the bed end. Saw a Rockwood today that has only the one dormer over the dinette end. Storage box makes it too long to fit in my garage.

3. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Well-Known Member

We have an 2013 Aliner Classic-Off Road, Titanium edition. It has all options. We found a used Classic at a Aliner dealership that was pre-certified with a warranty. We didn’t want to deal with repairing a used Classic if bought from a Craigslist seller. We limit our price range and was able to negotiate $2k less than advertised. Used Aliners can be hard to find in AZ. Their prices are slightly higher than areas with large inventory available. It took two years of research and waiting to find our perfect Classic model. Aliners and Chalet are the best quality. Quality is a big deal for us. Aliners have the best resale value. When we’re ready to go dark, we can trade or sell well. And Aliners are the lightest weight of all aframes.

We chose an Aliner with no dormers due to the following:
    • Dormers weigh more than non dormers. We originally had a light truck with limited towing capacity.
    • We rarely eat or cook inside, the dinette area is mainly used as a dressing area/bathroom. Most of our camping is done outside unless of inclement weather.
    • We prefer having a hard sided trailer since we mainly boondock in remote areas with bear activity than at campgrounds. Plus, some campgrounds have tent restrictions.
    • Aliners with dormers cost more money than non-dormers.
    • Didn’t want to deal with wet dormers when packing up in the rain.
    Every family has their own camping needs and way of camping.

Good luck searching.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

StlAnnie and BigTex56 like this.
  4. Singler3360

Singler3360 New Member

With the kids, you might want to check out some of the Chalet models. I recently walked into one. It had bunk beds across the front with a window on the side for the bottom bunk and it appeared at casual glance to have wider than twin sized bunks.

5. Cheesehead RV

Cheesehead RV Member

We went with the soft dormers for the openness it provides and also for the potential cross breeze it can provide. We checked out several models and found the hard dormers created it a little too claustrophobic for us. If you can, I suggest visiting a dealer to check out the different models to get a feel for what you like. Just don't bring the checkbook!

6. JoePAz

JoePAz Active Member

My Ranger 12 has soft front and rear dormers. Weight gain is pretty minimal (1753lbs dry as measured) and I love the open feeling and the airflow it allows when warm. I was camping at night in strong wind and felt like the rear dormer over the bed was catching air. So I quickly closed it and it was fine. quieter too. So you don't always need them up. I do feel like they also add useable space in the corners since with the dormers up it is more like a traditional box than narrow box.

7. Enigmacamper

Enigmacamper Active Member

Wanted to update this thread for others who may be wondering the same thing. We did buy a 2017 Scout. There are four of us, two under 4yrs old. We REALLY enjoy the Scout, I would not want anything bigger right now. We will see if the size becomes an issue in the future but right now it's not a problem at all. The storage is SUPER annoying but we decided to keep both beds down and not convert to dinette/couch and use the space under the beds for easy access and that took care of almost everything we needed (with the cabinet space as well obviously). It's worth mentioning too we lifted it so there is plenty of space to slide stuff underneath that can be outside, we also put some stuff in the trunk that we didn't need much. I'm looking into ways to optimize our storage but all in all I'm thrilled with the camper. If wide open spaces are your thing this is not a good choice for 4 but if you have a sense of humor, patience and a close family it's totally doable. If money and space were a non-issue I would love a beefy TV and probably a TT with a little more room (mostly just for storing things more conveniently) and bunks but with our limitations for towing and storage I think we made the right choice. Just make sure you look at them first in person and are realistic about your expectations. We just love it, way more than we thought, now I wish we'd booked more spots this summer!

@BigTex56, we did not get dormers, just bubble windows. I'm pleased with the decision for our budget and towing limitations, they are fun to lay under and look at the sky, and rain is a treat to watch. HOWEVER I would love more ways to cross-ventilate the camper and dormers on both sides open would help that. If I could have I would have but I'm very content and pleased with what we have. It does not feel like a concession, but again, they would be nice to have...not where I'd put my money and weight, but I don't have much wiggle room there ;).

shuang2 likes this.
  8. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

So glad you love your Aliner and it suits your family.
    Happy camping!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  9. dave123

dave123 freedom is not just another word

would you please tell me your aliner weight. i'm thinking of buying a transit connect. i owen a scout aliner with nothing in it ,, no tank, ac, stove, nothing but bed and table and cabinets

10. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Kudzu has an 2005 Expedition. Not positive about the earlier model years but in current terms there is a difference in the Expedition's weight and that of a scout. If you put your model year and type in your signature that would help people give you more accurate info.

The brochure for my model year shows twin propane bottles and a battery on the tongue on the cover yet Aliner only includes the weight of one propane bottle in their tongue weight calculations as printed in the brochure. So you need to add the effect of one propane bottle and the battery to the posted tongue weight. I speculate they do this for all models. Read the fine print how tongue weight is calculated.

Better yet, weigh your tongue. A mechanical bathroom scale costs about 12.00 or so at China mart.

Warning, most scales stop at 300 pounds. If it weighs more than that you have build a leverage device.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  11. Enigmacamper

Wanted to update this thread again, now in 2020! Still thrilled with the Scout, we went from a barely ever camped family to a camping LOVING family with the Aliner ;). We still fit great in the camper (2 adults, 5yr old, almost 2yr old), we added three hatch doors so storage is FAR simpler now. Without all the extra systems more expensive models have we actually have quite a bit of storage. We have taken it from the coast of Texas to near the Canadian border and plenty in between, parking lot in Chicago, truck stops, beaches, campgrounds, driveways...we love it. We still feel like it was the best choice for us. Our biggest limiting factor is actually the Subaru, it pulls it fine but with bikes and other stuff it is very packed and the tongue weight issue is annoying as we have to move things stashed under the front bed to the back for towing. A much larger TV would be lovely but we're managing just fine as is.
    A reason we purchased the A-frame was hard sides, this has actually been even more important than we expected. We have taken it many many times out in temps in the 40's and even 30's I believe and a simple electric space heater has kept us plenty warm.

The Aliner is not perfect, but in the world of RV's I think it's built quite a bit better than average.

nhlakes, shuang2, Econ and 4 others like this.
  12. woodentoy

woodentoy Member

We towed our Aliner Classic with an Outback also. We got a Subaru Ascent and the difference is huge. No worries on trailer or tongue weight and hills are a breeze!

13. Enigmacamper

I would LOVE to tow with the Ascent, maybe one day [LOL]

ETA, I haven't looked at the towing of the Ascent recently, is it capable of towing the 18' Family Aliner I wonder?

14. towing12345

towing12345 New Member

Thanks for the excellent information on this thread. I'm thinking about an aliner ranger12 and will be using a 2013 outback (2700 max tow rating). What kind of MPG do you get with the outback while towing ?

15. woodentoy

woodentoy Member

I got 17-21 mpg with my Outback while towing depending on elevation

towing12345 likes this.
  16. Enigmacamper

I want to say we get around 18mpg but I might be wrong, that's just what I thought my husband had said.