Considering Darkside - Would Like Tips On Features

Sub1ime14

Apr 1, 2008
DW and I are beginning to consider a Hybrid pop-out to replace our '69 Starcraft PUP. We do a lot of weekend trips and often arrive in the dark. As you can imagine, grumpiness usually ensues (on both our parts). [;)]

We're curious what features have proven to the be the real "game changers" for those of you who own hybrids or are shopping for them. One thing I've already figured out is that I'd like to have at least one accessible and comfortably-sized bed that is completely inside the trailer, so that we can turtle on overnighters or when it's just the two of us. I also like some of the standard features that we don't have in our 40-year-old pup (television wired for cable/ant, heat and A/C, microwave, etc).

Please send any and all loved features our way. Also, if there are particular models that you guys love, please let us know. Bear in mind that we're looking at used hybrids in the $2000-6000 range, and we need to keep it around 3000lbs, maybe 4000 tops (V6 Dakota TV).

Thanks in advance for the help!
-John

ALICAM

May 10, 2007
Southwestern Ontario
Hi...what I really like about my hybrid are the heated mattresses...that was basically the clincher for me...as well as having a freezer section in the fridge

Grim54

St. Clair Shores, MI
Feb 2, 2008
I'll be watching this thread also. DW and I are thinking about a Hybrid. Gonna look at them this coming weekend at the Mich. camper show if we don't get snowed in tomorrow and Wensday.

Mr. Bill

PUP-2002 Flagstaff 725D TV- 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Apr 27, 2009
Geneva, OH
DW is sold on a hybrid. The Rockwood Roos look pretty good to me. Based on your specifications, the model 17 looks like a good fit. It is the upper limits of your weight limit that you want. Talking with people who own one, you could sleep on the dinette for a night or two if needed. I don't think setup would be too hard though since you just let down the sides. No poles outside. The beds flip down rather than pull out. Just let down the bed, lift the canvas support and inside pole and you are ready to go.

Let us know what you find. I am not giving a commercial and I don't work for them, but I looked at rvwholesalers. They don't list prices but I got a price for one for about 13K less than my local dealer could do. I like supporting the local dealer, but not at that price.

mknott57

Life is Good!!
Sep 30, 2008
Mechanicsburg Pa
We liked Rockwood Roos also but love the Travelstar (Starcraft) models. We bought a 237CKS. Our favorite feature is the large slide-out but that exceeds your weight limit. Our dry weight is closer to 5k. Also love the power awning. We were looking for one with lots of storage to ease the trip preparation process.

colo dreams

Jun 24, 2006
We have a Cub Aerolight and have really enjoyed it. I can tell you 2 of the things I WISH were different......I would like more counter space-so coffeepot wasnt on the table! I would like to have an outlet close to the back bunk. And the cubby storage by the table is awkward. We always have items on it, so to get into it, all has to be taken off...kinda a pain.

What I do like, is the bathroom!!! YEAH! I love the light that come through the windows. I enjoy the built in fan system for the bunk ends. Good luck with your pick.

We have had ours for 2 years and DH is thinking of selling and upgrading...again!!!!

Sub1ime14

Apr 1, 2008
Holly, I wish I was closer to Eerie! We're a little over an hour northwest of Philadelphia. Takes about 5 hours to get to Eerie from here. I'll be we've got some shows coming to our area too, though I haven't checked yet. Have fun!

Jeremy

Jul 12, 2005
Chicago NW Suburbs
One thing I've already figured out is that I'd like to have at least one accessible and comfortably-sized bed that is completely inside the trailer, so that we can turtle on overnighters or when it's just the two of us. Almost all HTT's come with a dinette that folds down to make a small bed that can be used in a turtle situation. Keep in mind, it may not be the biggest, so a U-shaped dinette would offer the most space.

I also like some of the standard features that we don't have in our 40-year-old pup (television wired for cable/ant, heat and A/C, microwave, etc).
Again, almost all newer HTT's (even used ones back to 2000/2001) will have crank up TV antenna's and/or cable input, furnace, A/C, and microwaves as standard options.

Like was said, given the weight limit you're working with anything in a 17 should be fine, and maybe even into a 19' will work. Remember if you add a slide, that adds extra weight, but they do add a ton more room.

Sub1ime14

Apr 1, 2008
Thanks, Jeremy. We were growing pretty fond of the U-shaped dinettes for the fact that they fit more than 2 1/2 people :). We hadn't thought about the fact that it would provided a bigger turtling bed, so that really cements the feature for us as a need.

Big Dawg

Jul 25, 2007
We have a R-Vision Trail Lite 19', and we love it. We started tent camping, then moved on to a popup (where we ended up here), and then the Hybrid. It has all the goodies, shower, sink, toliet, stove, air, and heat. We still have the popup feel with the fold down ends. We are very happy with ours.

Sweet Chariot

Nov 25, 2009
Burnaby/Okanagan
I'm interested as well.

When camping do these feel smaller/ bigger than a PUP? (inside).

Other than space required for storage (too big for a garage) are there any disadvantages?

Sub1ime14

Apr 1, 2008
Chariot,

Some of the things I've gathered or just figured in my research:

1) They do tend to "feel" smaller than some of the larger popups (i.e. those with slide-outs, etc)... that is, unless your hybrid also has a slide-out. Though it seems like the ceilings are a big higher on the hybrids in general, so for a tall guy like me, that's +1 for the roominess feeling of the hybrid. For those of average height, it may not make a difference.

2) Your gas mileage will drop considerably from what you'd get with a pop-up. This is due to wind drag from the large front face of the hybrid. Also expect less power when pulling up hills, for the same reason.

3) I've heard that hybrids older than roughly 2008 or so have a leaking issue on the front bed-panel - ONLY when traveling while it's raining. This is due to moisture blowing upward on the front face to the underside of the bed panel, and then leaking through the hinge/seal there. There are ways to fix this, and also replacement parts. They've solved the issue on new models.

If anybody knows any other things that are more negative on the hybrids, let chariot and me know. Thanks!

BuxCamper

Mar 29, 2003
Bucks County, PA
The manufacturers have also gone to a different latch that when closed will provide a consistent pressure to the seal. The previous screw down latch was dependent on how hard it was cranked down.

Twisty

Super Active Member
Aug 24, 2008
Hillsboro, Oregon
Check your TV's towing specs!!
My Ranger has a 50 square foot frontal area limit. That would be just like pulling a 6 foot by 8 foot sail behind me.
That is why I keep bring up the Trailmanor brand as viable option when buying a TT.

Hollyhoff

May 13, 2009
I am writing to see what you ended up with. I bought a N2U Aerolite Cub 21TT. It has three pop out beds which I loved about the Rockwood Roo 23.... I saved money by buying used.... I also wish there was more counter space, but it will suffice!!! I can't wait to get moving and go camping!!!

PopsPUP

Feb 10, 2010
Sub1ime14 said:
DW and I are beginning to consider a Hybrid pop-out to replace our '69 Starcraft PUP....

We're curious what features have proven to the be the real "game changers" for those of you who own hybrids or are shopping for them....

John:

This was posted a few months ago, so, I don't know your current status. DW and I just went from a '06 Fleetwood/Coleman Niagara PUP to a '10 Forest River Wildwood 17EXL pop-out. We were already used to some features that we wanted in our new trailer: toilet, microwave oven, furnace for cool weather camping, AC for hot, a large couch area, etc., and light weight (our tv is a '06 Dodge Dakota V8). We also were tired of the time consuming set up and break down of the PUP. The Wildwood is extremly easy to set up and comes with all the features you mentioned. The great news is that it only weighs 3800 lbs. Good luck with your search.

Bonair 1200tt

Oct 11, 2005
We have one and it's great. You mention that you normally arrive at night and setting up can be a heated event. The main reason we bought one was because of the set up time. We had a lot of st backed in the pup for a baby and would take us upwards to 2.5 hours to set up fully to the point where I could sit down and relax. Now it's only 30 min. Now the the kids are a little bigger that time will drop down to 15min....I hope! First thing, it's already popped up, all you have to do is set up the beds. Once you arrive, instant power and water and you have lights on, AC going (if equipped) Levelling is a breeze and the rest of the set up is a cinch. That's what I noticed right away. Now that I've had it for a while, I've come to appreciate some of the finer things that I never had before. Like the bathroom!! The freezer, the much larger fridge, running water. I don't have to pump it anymore. Yes it has a hookup for cable TV which I never use. The furnace is great but because the walls of the beds are so thin, you tend to go through a lot of propane. So make sure it comes with double 30lbs propane tanks. The oven and microwave are nice feature. And for the past 2 Thanksgivings, we've had Thanksgiving at the trailer. Turned out so good too!!! I should mention it was Turkey thighs not a whole turkey. The number one feature I really like is the outside shower. Kids are messy. With a freezer you get ice cream. Ice cream on a hot day = real big mess. Yeah! I use that thing a lot! If you have any questions let me know.

PS. If you were to ask me if I miss my pup, I would have to say no!

pixel

Campers: Nature's way of feeding mosquitoes. Unkn.
May 4, 2008
Massachusetts
The first thing you should consider is your TV needs. Before you upgrade make sure that you have an appropriate TV.

Hybrids are different to tow than PUP's.

Good Luck & Be Safe!

pixel