Considering the dark side

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by Shado, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Shado

Shado New Member

Haven't been around in sometime and we are finally getting out for the first time this year with our pup. Went to a liquidation sale this past weekend and DW is thiking it's time we move from the pup to a lightweight TT. Our issue is mainly setup and brakedown at the end of the weekend. We mainly camp on weekends with the kids (ages 9 and 11 months). Being that we leave immedaietly after work, deal with traffic and about a 100 mile (150km) drive getting to the site and taking an hour to setup, make dinner....DW hates it.

We are currently looking at the KZ Sportmen Classic 19BHS.
    http://www.kz-rv.com/sportsmen-classic/19BHS.html

We don't need a huge camper, just somewhere to sleep and escape the rain when needed (and a pickup just doesnt fit with our family at the moment). Apart from that I expect the kids to be outdoors enjoying nature.

Have looked here many times for advice and feedback - now looking again
    :)

2. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

You are diffidently going to cut down the set-up and tear down time. We went to ha Htt last year and after getting used to the routine, I felt we cut it down by 2/3's. Also the prep is better because you can get in to it at any time. Besides that, the fact that you'll have a bathroom is also a plus. I'm sure you won't be sorry.

3. Shado

Shado New Member

We seem to be good on the floor plan. The issue we are now discussing is the cargo capacity. As this TT is only a single axel it is really limiting. Had to explain the whole weight thing to the DW last night.

Any ideas what the average amount of weight ppl carry in their TT would be?

4. cullinan18

cullinan18 New Member

doesn't your Hyundai Sante Fe only have a towing capacity of 3,500 lbs? You'll be maxing out if you fully load the trailer. Also, please check your max load capacity (I forget the actual code - GVWR, maybe?) as the 3 + baby, might overload the safety of your TV.

5. mercman

mercman Go Ahead, Be That Happy Camper!

Not to be the downer but your tow vehicle isn't quite large enough for a TT.

6. Shado

Shado New Member

Oh I know - she was a TT...I want a new truck.

Looking at 6 passenger SUVs at the moment. Explorer, Highlander, Acadia... All rated at about 5k towing which would allow us a small TT. Santa Fe's are great little SUVs....but they are not meant to tow.

7. Nixie

Nixie New Member

You need to do your research before you buy one of those vehicles. A lot of them say, "oh ya we can tow 5,000lbs", but in the small print they say something like don't tow anything that is taller or wider than the vehicle. (Pay attention to frontal sq. area). Also a lot of those vehicles have very small cargo capcities and/ or gross capacity ratings. The 5,000 towing rating is only for 1 150lb person in the car. No gear. No passengers. Once you start adding those, you might actually be closer to a 3,000 tow rating. I can't stress enough about doing your research before purchasing that way you won't find out after the fact that your car can't really tow what you want it to. Don't expect the car dealerships or the rv dealerships to tell you the truth. They are looking to make a sale. They are def. not looking out for you and your families best interests.

8. Mickeyrv

Mickeyrv Week day camping is great

B-4 you commit, check out the Starcraft Launch 2014 units. Lighter in weight with same or more ammentities, my 17FB is GVWR at 3500 pounds.

9. Nixie

Nixie New Member

I also don't wanna be a "Debbie downer", but the reason why the dry weight is low on that camper is because half of the stuff is "options"; the furnace, the awning, the water heater, lp tank, etc. I bet with those things added the dry weight is closer to 3,000lbs which would only leave you 500lbs for cargo. I can tell you that my camper weighs 1,200 over the dry weight (no fluids cept lp) packed and ready to go camping.

Have you seen this camper in person? I have not seen this particular one, but have shopped KZ sportsmens before and I can tell you I am not a fan. They are very cheaply made. Every corner has been cut to save money ( like making tons of stuff options). The ac is a window unit cut into the side of the wall and not a roof unit. The shower isn't even plumbed. It is an attachment that is tied to the sink. The ac and furnace btus are the bare minimum if that (my jayco pop up's furnace and air conditioner are bigger than what kz puts in their bigger campers ). The cookstoves are almost always only 2 burners. I could go on and on.....

10. Shado

Shado New Member

This is why we are doing our research now. We have seen the camper, like the layout but after some research I have come to the conclusion that I may want a double axel instead to allow for a lil more capacity. I know that we are limited with the tow vehicule we are looking at which is why we are trying to see what we can get. It's really too bad Ford dropped the explorer to 5k from 6200 before the redesign.

11. cullinan18

cullinan18 New Member

There's nothing wrong with a gently used TV or pup. Nobody is competing, buy what you like the best. A two year old Vintage Explorer with 6200#s or a Showroom new one with 5000#s are both fine TVs. Make yourself happy and get what you want to serve you best. Happy hunting.

12. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

Shado,
    Ford is one of a few companies that limit the weight being towed as well as the frontal area of the trailer.
    40 sq ft of trailer frontal area is the limit along with the 5000 lb weight limit on the latest model Explorers.
    A 2009 Explorer with towing package can haul 7310 lbs, but also is limited to 40 sq ft of frontal area on the trailer.
    This effectively rules out HTT's and TT's for the Explorer.
    Ford understands that wheelbase and TV length are a very important consideration of towing trailers.
    A 7300 lbs boat can be towed much easier on the highway than a 3800lb TT or HTT.
    The shorter wheelbase, narrower TV's just don't have enough size to handle an HTT or TT in an emergency situation.
    Ford earns my respect by publishing the frontal area limits. It's extremely important.
    Other manufacturers, simply neglect that part of the towing equation and only limit weight. They don't deserve my respect or time or especially my money.

13. Shado

Shado New Member

Ah never knew that. Hence the research. Thanks Storm Trooper. Gonna go burst the wife's bubble. LOL. I have never seen the sq ft front area anywhere. Wondering where you found it.

What blows my mind is every weekend we go camping we see all sorts of vehicules pulling all sorts of campers that when you research it properly should not be

14. Nixie

Nixie New Member

I know I sound like I am beating a dead dog here, but when I say "do your research", I mean post in other forums besides a "TT" forum on a pop up site. Towing a pop up and towing a travel trailer or hybrid are two completely different beasts. It is one heck of a jump and a whole new learning curve. Things other than just weight come into play. Things like the T.V.s wheelbase, T.V.s center or gravity, engine size, differential size, brakes, suspension, axle ratings, etc. Yes, some of these come into play when towing a pop up, but it is much bigger deal when towing a TT or hybrid. Go watch the move in the stickie in the hybrid forum. That will give you a little perspective on why these things are soo important when making the jump from pop up to TT or hybrid. I blew a tire on my pop up. It didn't flip my TV...

Storm Trooper just posted what I was trying to say :)

15. Storm Trooper

16. Shado

Shado New Member

Thanks. Canadian site has nothing indicating this.

17. Storm Trooper

Were you able to get to it?
    Those links are not easily found in the US either.
    Took some time and digging in the spider webs. [LOL]

18. Shado

Shado New Member

Ya I got it and read it all. Sent it to the DW who isn't happy. She came back with the Durango as an option. Hahaha.

The Canadian site doesn't have anything other the the tow rating on it. We know we aren't buying this year. We have just started to look. We may have to go the route of a HTT. Figure will be at least 6-8 months of research involved.

19. Storm Trooper

Well, that is more interesting. Chrysler , Dodge and Jeep have sq ft towing limitation , not in their tow guide where it should always be, but in the manual.
    You find out the limitation after you've bought it. [:O]
    They don't tell you before. [:O]

20. Storm Trooper