Considering the dark side

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by Shado, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Shado

Shado New Member

Thank you so much ST.

After long discussions over the last 2 days I made the DW realize that we wont be doing a TT but most lilely a HTT. Seems the Durango should be able to handle the Roo 183 or the Jayco X18. Weights looks like they will be ok and frontal is very close to that

2. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

Interesting thread... I am trying to talk Jeepin Dad into going to a TT or a HTT in the future. For me, it is the ability to easily access the trailer to packup/unpack. I would like a bathroom. And the storage for clothes and food seem to be better in a TT or HTT, than our small popup.

Our boys were 6 & 4 years old when we got our popup and now they are 8 & 6 years old. Both boys are very tall for their age and they are sharing the dinette bed. Next year will be very cramped for them. Jeepin Dad is thinking of converting one of the double bunk ends to a king, letting one of the boys sleep in the other bunk end and the other on the dinette. We have never used the dinette as a dinette, it has always been used as a bed. It would be nice to be able to sit in the pup around a table during a rain storm.

Purchasing a TT or HTT would mean upgrading one of our vehicles... since he is "Jeepin Dad", it would mean bye-bye to my wonderful Honda minivan. So I have been looking at Tahoe/Yukon AND for some reason I really like the Chevrolet Avalanche - which is basically a pickup truck -- *gasp*

I don't really understand what Storm Trooper means with the sq foot towing limitation. I will ask Jeepin Dad to explain it to me.

Shado, I will be checking back to see what you end up doing... Good luck on your 'research'!

3. Shado

Shado New Member

JeepMama we gave up on the SUV option. For a small HTT (17-21 ft) we were just too close for comfort to our weights. After also talking to my insurance we were informed that if by chance we had an accident while towing and it was determied that we were overweight they most likely would not cover us. The risk to my wife and 2 girls wasn't worth it.

We went camping this past weekend and realized that with the baby (almost 1) and the 9 year old in the pup there was a serious lack of space. Setup was crazy as well. Too much time spent setting stuff up and not enough time spent as a family enjoying our camping trip.

So we went out and started shopping. We did the same looking at the Tahoe, Expedition, Sequoia, 4Runner, Yukon (seeing as the Explorer's 5k was just too low) ...all which are priced extremly high here (talking upper 60s to 70s). That still only got us into the 6k-7200 tow range. So we decided to have a look at the F150 SuperCrew. My DW was instantly sold. The amount of space in them is crazy. So much second row space for the kids (DW spent most test drives back there).

So at the moment we have purchased one and just waiting to hear back on financing. We figured the 11k towing capacity it offers will be more the sufficient for our needs as we still plan to stay in the 5-6k weight range. But it does open a few more doors now.

DW first questions when we got home last night was when do we start shopping for a HTT.

4. Jeepin Dad

Jeepin Dad New Member

Congrats on finding a new TV.

We are making the jump to the dark side this weekend, on Tuesday traded JeepMama's van for a 2003 Chevy Avalanche 2500 (12,000 lb tow capacity) and tomorrow we are picking up a 24' TT.

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=73260.0

5. ridenred333

ridenred333 New Member

Don't want to hi jack the thread here but please explain the frontal area limitations. I read what you posted but that doesn't explain what it is. Is it the sq feet of the front of the trailer that would cause wind resistance? I really don't know.

6. Jeepin Dad

Jeepin Dad New Member

Yes it is. Chrysler puts frontal area limits on their SUVs, I have them on my Wrangler and Cherokee. I do not believe they limit their trucks, I don't remember seeing them on my Dakotas.

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

One note on that 11000lb rating on the Ford.. that is if the truck has the max payload and max tow packages ... Otherwise you'll be down in the 7500-8500 range like most of the 1.2 tons...

Yes it is the sq.ft of the front of the trailer, I cannot remember if it includes the frontal area of the vehicle..

8. Shado

Shado New Member

Snow ours did come with HD Tow and max payload. Very nice ride...still getting used to it. First trip out with the pup/new tv next weekend

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

When I was truck shopping the Eco-boost was still "coming soon", and by the time it came out I was 3-4 months into owning the Ram...

10. Shado

Shado New Member

Its a nice ride. The twin turbo makes it nice and quiet and when it needs it the truck can go.

11. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

Not clear if you've got the TT yet or not, but here's what we went with. Two axles, so it's got quite a payload it can carry.
    TV is Suburban with 4:10 rear and all the goodies, so it's not an issue. (Although I wouldn't have complained about a bigger engine).

Although it doesn't have the bunks you've got in the other. We find it very spacious. (For the two of us and 2 small grizzly sized dogs)
    http://gulfstreamrvtrailers.com/amerilite/floorplans.php#19KD