Considering the Niagara HW - First PUP

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by dbbyleo, Jun 27, 2013.

1. justin.kerns

justin.kerns Member

Wow that was quick! What happened to this winter? [LOL]

Congrats! Can't wait to see some photos. I've been watching them and also Arcadia and Hemlock models. I'm trying to decide between a cassette toilet or black tank at the moment. I see pros and cons for both.

And Keith thanks for the detailed weight analysis ( I read your other thread). I need to do the math on my Yukon. While I suspect I'd be ok with a bigger TV than a Tacoma it doesn't hurt to run the numbers.

2. dbbyleo

dbbyleo Member

Dude... I know... I was suppose to wait for Fall at least. But couldn't believe the price when I saw the ad (you may not either). I'll give you all the scoop just as soon as I close the deal... we're doing the transaction tomorrow. Banks were closed last night and his wife got ill this morning... she was suppose to clean out the pup while he was at work, etc, etc. I don't want to count my eggs just yet... I'd hate to jinx it!

3. dbbyleo

dbbyleo Member

Loraua... I like how you think. Turns out I can't bring home today (see above post). So he said he'll just take it to my house on Saturday when we close the deal.

4. Harvardroger

Harvardroger If it feels good, do it! If it hurts, Stop!

Just be careful. You are going to get it home. You are going to set it up to check it all out.

It will take at least a week to get the smile off of your face!!!

Congrats!

5. dbbyleo

dbbyleo Member

Like!

6. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

I'm replacing the tires on my 2008 HW 13" (lots of tread w even wear) and they ave. $78 ea. plus mounting, tax.....
    Niagara I believe has 14"

7. dbbyleo

dbbyleo Member

Hey guys...
    So here's the rigging I have lined for the Tacoma. Many have recommended these add-on for obvious safety reason... and if nothing else peace of mind. I realize those who have the same setup as I (2006 Tacoma w/ tow package + 2006 Niagara) have not gone to this extent.

So here's my list for my 2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD, 4-door, shortned w/ Tow Package + 2006 Niagara:

Electric Brake Control
    Tranny Oil Cooler
    WDH with Sway Control
    Air List Suspension

Electric Brake Control. This is a no-brainer and in Colorado its law. I'm looking at the Tekonsha Prodigy P2... for no other reason than that I've seen that name thrown around in this forum... and AutoAnything.com has that model (http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/tekonsha-prodigy-p2-electronic-brake-control).
    Question: Is this an appropriate model? Is this way over kill? I don't mind a little over kill if if adds to peace of mind. Any other model you can suggest?

Tranny Oil Cooler. I still need to look into this, but I've heard some recommend those from B&M (http://bmracing.com/?wpsc-product=automatic-transmission-supercooler-13000-btu-rated-11x7-12x34)

WDH with Sway Control. I've read up on Equal-i-zer vs Reese Dual Cams... and I think I'm gonna go with Reese. Question: Do I have to have a dealer install this for me... or should I be able to do this myself. I mean, I'm fairly technically inclined... DIY, work on my own vehicle. Do dealership take any liability if anything goes wrong with the hitch if they do the install?

Air Lift/Bags. I think I'm going to go with the Firestone Ride Rites... and possible add-on the compressor/controller now or later.

I'd appreciate your feedbacks on this. Thanks.

8. ecupcar

ecupcar New Member

I have the Tekonsha Prodogy 2 on my 2009 Taco and it works great!

The gen 2 Taco is a great TV, I have hauled some interesting items and always pleased with it's ability.

9. vanjr

vanjr New Member

Is the Somerset Niagara the same as the fleetwood Niagara?

10. dbbyleo

dbbyleo Member

I'm no expert (yet)... but Yes... Someret bought the rights to Fleetwood lines. And based on the floorplan and photos online... the are the same pups.

11. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Check you tires and your bearings....
    Also check the emergency brakes, i just found out this morning mine are not working!

12. IslePilot

IslePilot Member

I am a gadget freak, so I went with the P3, mostly because it looked cool and I figured it had to be "better" than a P2 (since 3 is a bigger number [:D] )

FWIW, I do love it in the Taco. It was easy to install and the price was pretty good at Camping World in Longmont with the Good Sam discount.

Most importantly, the little screen is cool enough to make me smile. [2C]

13. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

I have the P3 as well on my Tacoma towing the Niagara. I think the difference (P3 vs. P2) is features for multiple trailers and more boost modes.

I got mine off CL for $75, new in the box. The PO bought it and then realized the car trailer he was renting had hydraulic brakes. He didn't want to mess with returning it via mail order.

It is a cool gadget!

JR

14. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

This response is only to the WDH question.
    I think you will find the Reese Dual Cam a bit more of a problem to install. It is very limited in the location of the snap up bars.
    The propane tanks are exactly where Reese wants the snap up bar location.
    Over the years, many of us have found the Equalizer to be an easier wdh to install on fleetwood/coleman highwalls since it has a range of fore and aft adjustment.

15. dbbyleo

dbbyleo Member

Trooper... that was my main concern about the Reese.... the snap bar location seems like it has to be a fixed distance. And I noticed in the Equalizer install video that their's can move between 29" to 32" from the coupler.

But people always talk about dual cam is better than friction type sway controls... frictions stops the sway from continuing, but the dual cams prevents it from happening at all.

I'm no expert, but this is so far what Ive read.

I know for most they are probably saying... Dual Cams? For a pup?? Aint that a bit over kill?

That's kinda what I'm starting to think when I see the lowest rating of the Straight-Lines... 10K/800.

What do you guys think?

16. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

I've owned both. Am currently using the equalizer on my htt and used the equalizer on my fleetwood Avalon which was the bigger brother of the niagara and it worked very well on the Avalon.
    I didn't think the difference in price was worth it to go to the Reese dual cam. A superior unit , but overkill for my current HTT.
    Btw, did you know the Reese dual cam was designed and used in the 1960's. Still is one of the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. dbbyleo

dbbyleo Member

Hey gang...
    So I got her home last night and have spent all morning giving her a once over. At this point, I'm feeling pretty good about the purchase. So here's the down-low:

2006 Niagara - owner listed it for $7995. I couldn't believe it because in CO, I have not seen one under $9K. But the owner couldn't show me if everything was working because he couldn't/didn't want to hook up. And no 220v at his house either. So he said if I wanted to, we could meet again at a CG (but he really didn't want the hassle), but he kept promising that the last time he used it (2011 season) everything was working.

I offered him $7200... as-is... no need to test anymore... if anything is not working, like the A/C... then it's on me. He liked that idea of that - SOLD.

Justin! $7200, man! Can you believe it? In Berthoud... I didn't even have to travel to get this deal. Check out rvtrader.com... that's where I found it. I kept coming up empty in CL and it eventually dried out. There's a still a could of Niagaras there... one in Littleton/Highlands for $9250. That's the lowest I've seen round these parts.

Anyway... so far... here's what's checked out:

Water system checks out - water pump, water heater, fridge, stove, oven, microwave, furnace/thermostat, all the lights, radio.

I'm going to post a couple things in the repairs/maintenance category for the 2 things so far that hasn't checked out. Go there if you're interested. Nothing major though.

The only thing I need to verify is the A/C... but I'll have to find 220 to get that going... may be go to a local CG with hookups.

I've got lots and lots of manuals to get read up on... catch you later. I will post photos just as soon as I'm checked out on this this and my truck is all rigged up to tow.

18. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

You don't need 220. Your camper is 110, the plug will carry 30 amps. You can buy an adapter to run most of your systems off of a 15 amp outlet. Some say you can run your AC off the adapter, but I don't. It probably draws more than 15 amps on start-up.

JR

19. Hyperterex

Hyperterex Active Member

Congrats on the new crib. I have an 08 Arcadia, the brother to the Niagra and love it. The high wall is the only way to go. Only one draw back is you can't just move it around by hand very easy. It's got a lot of weight in it. Can't wait to see the pics.

20. justin.kerns

justin.kerns Member

That's an awesome price for CO for sure. Congrats! It's tough to find any HW PUP for much under $9500 around here based on my looking.

Can't wait to see the photos! I'm still considering Niagara/Hemlock vs Arcadia vs Saratoga and cassette vs black tank. Since I'm really not in the market until this Fall or Winter I'll live vicariously through you in the meantime.