Considering the Niagara HW - First PUP

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by dbbyleo, Jun 27, 2013.

1. dbbyleo

dbbyleo Member

IslePilot... how did the ole Taco do on Mt Princeton?

Once comment I will make about your reading from SGII is that that's pulling temp readings from the factory temp sensor which is in the pan (fluid temps after it's been cooled through the cooler).

So that's the fluid temp going into your transmission. So if you're reading 230*F going into your pan (after it's been cooled)... I would be worried how hot it's reaching after an unlocked torque converter flash heating. You know what I mean?

I have a temp sensor I installed in the cooler inlet line (after the torque converter and before the cooler). I went with Autometer Elite tranny temp gauge, step-motor type... so I'm pretty confident the temp reading is accurate.

I've read that when oils hit certain hi temp levels... they become "denatured", decomposes - fall apart and no longer do their job (even when cooled) it doesn't go back to it natural state/composition. I think the general number is 260*F.

With a B&M SuperCooler installed, I hit 220*F on some of these mountain climbs out here in CO. But for me, I'm feel good about that and knowing that's the hottest the fluid ever got. It could only get cooler from that point. I'd have to assume an unlock torque converter could be flash heating the fluid by at least 20-30 degrees. And so if you're reading 230*F (post cooled)... that could mean 260*F after the torque converter.

Just my two cents. After talking with B&M, they advised me to simply replace my aux cooler with their unit. They felt like having both was unnecessary. So in my Taco, I only have the B&M... the aux cooler I removed.

2. supton

supton New Member

Yeah, good question--where is that sensor? On my transmission, it has two sensors. One is used for adjusting pressures for good shift feel, the other for altering operation during high temperatures and for the overtemperature warning light. Is the former pan temp, and the latter convertor outlet? And which one does the SG read? Dunno. I don't have enough information on the transmission, just a primer on its operation.

3. justin.kerns

justin.kerns Member

My understanding is that the SG will read both the pan sensor and TC sensor. If you click the link in my post on the previous page you will see the code sets for both sensors. I think you can enter both of these into the SG and get both values. I don't have a Toyota so I haven't tried it but I think that's how it works.

4. supton

supton New Member

Oh, thanks for that link! I didn't realize someone had codes for the two sensors--I grabbed my SG codes from Scangauges site, but didn't know which one did what sensor. I'll have to put in the second one and see what I find.

5. Buccard

Buccard New Member

What a great thread. I happened to google fleetwood niagara and came across this thread. I was considering the niagara and have now made up my mind. Thanks for all the great info- I found an 07 here in Florida-working out the details but it should be mine within a month. Coincidentally I also have a tacoma. Thanks again for the invaluable info.

6. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

it's a GREAT model!

7. justin.kerns

justin.kerns Member

Nice choice! Let's see some pix when you get yours.

8. dbbyleo

dbbyleo Member

Nice choice indeed.

9. Buccard

Buccard New Member

[​IMG]
    Brought it home Friday, played with it in the front yard. The whole family loves it!

10. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

Welcome to the club!

11. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

Congrats! Post up more pics of your NTU rig when you get a chance! I think you'll love the Niagara!

12. Harvardroger

Harvardroger If it feels good, do it! If it hurts, Stop!

Congrats and Enjoy!

13. justin.kerns

justin.kerns Member

Excellent - congrats!

14. thirey

thirey The worst day camping is better than...

We purchased an 08 FW Niagra used three summers ago. Awesome trailer love the high wall design, the spacious layout and the quality. Wife and two teens and a dog is perfect space. I did take a walk trough on a new Somerset unit and the quality wasn't even close. I took some pics to share with family and compare notes. (We are an extended PUP family camping group....). Will try to figure out the picture posting here and show some differences.

15. ChocoChock01

16. dbbyleo

dbbyleo Member

What there not to love. This was our first summer with our '06 Niagara and the whole family absolutely loved it. Cant wait for next season to start - we got big plans :)

Tacoma's and Niagara's seem to be as popular as pie and ice cream.

17. dbbyleo

dbbyleo Member

What you say about the Somerset really does go along with what I've heard and read. I even ran into a fellow camper who had a somerset A-frame. Asked how he liked it and he had the same remarks - quality was sub par - poor constructions, etc. Example, he bought an off-road edition. But the cabinets were only stapled together (not screwed) that they were starting to split at the seems. He eventually reenforced with screws, etc. Another co-worker has the e2... he complains of poor constructions as well... and has gotten to the point of wanting to return it to the dealership altogether after only one season of owning.

Its too bad... it has such a great heritage, too. Anyway... dont want to turn this into a Somerset bashing thread.

Let end on a good note and say how lucky you all are to have found a FLEETWOOD Niagara to call your own!

18. ChocoChock01