Convenient hanging kitchen utensils set.

DHippopolop

Oct 31, 2018
Sorry everyone.. I didn't get alerted that there was a response to this thread?? um. Surely it is something I did..

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Found this little handy dandy "spice container" yesterday.. and thought I would pass it along as a good idea// View attachment 40891

I can't do without SPICE.. lol

it has SIX main spices, and is refillable..

salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, curry, cayenne..

Of course, I am sure you could change them out if you would like..

Just thought I would pass it along.. saves SPACE, and is convenient..

Purchased at WAL-MART..

I had reused the 4 slot sugar cookie sprinkle containers and they work great and you can customize your spices happy camping

Susan Premo

Super Active Member
Nov 5, 2020
Minnesota
Sorry everyone.. I didn't get alerted that there was a response to this thread?? um. Surely it is something I did..

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Found this little handy dandy "spice container" yesterday.. and thought I would pass it along as a good idea// View attachment 40891

I can't do without SPICE.. lol

it has SIX main spices, and is refillable..

salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, curry, cayenne..

Of course, I am sure you could change them out if you would like..

Just thought I would pass it along.. saves SPACE, and is convenient..

Purchased at WAL-MART..
I have 2 of them, really like them.

dbhost

Super Active Member
Sep 19, 2018
League City, Texas USA.
FWIW, I have taken recently to sewing up my own stuff sacks / ditty bags because for some reason my local, and any online retailers I can find, never have a size I can use without being WAY too big...

My utensils however are only captured in a stuff sack for travel. Once in camp we set up on the hanger hooks on my camp kitchen. (The Tow Rig and PUC are not ready yet).

My camp kitche will likely get reproduced with the PUC though as I prefer cooking outdoors vs. inside the camper unless the weather is nasty. I use an EZ Up with 2 of those Ozark Trail shade walls w/ pockets.

I keep my Ikea 4pc stainless utensils, ladle, spatula, large spoon, and pasta hook thingy, my BBQ tools, 18" stainless tongs, grill brush, and meat fork, and my hot pads / dish towels hanging from the camp kitchen, and then in the wall pockets I stow measuring cups, can / bottle opener, dutch oven lid lifter, silicone wisk assortment, salt & pepper grinders.

I keep plenty of the most common spices I use on hand. Cumin (my wife has me calling it Comino, she's messing me up!) chili powder, cayenne, Tony Cacheries Creole and Blackened Seasonings, poultry seasoning, garlic and herb seasoning, lemon pepper, my special BBQ rub, Taco seasoning, Fajita Seasoning, pinto bean seasoning, in the regular size grocery store bottles. We like spicy food. Anyway those go in baggies in the wall pockets...

Anything you can do to organize your storage in transit, and keep it organized in camp makes the camp experience that much better...

I recommend anyone that has the ability to, to sew up storage bags, and / or utensil rolls to keep things tidy and keep the drawers from being a disaster when you get to camp.

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
I've been working on sewing hanging storage bags this week. I am sooooo bad at it. I need to start simple instead of getting derailed by complicating things...all I needed was sacks so my pots wouldn't bang when hanging during transit, but it escalated.

"Why can't I make this, but in the proportions I need?" says me. https://www.quadratec.com/p/overland-vehicle-systems/canyon-bag-camping-storage-tote

Now I'm back to planning things at my skill level. Yes, a simple sack for the item in the middle...just the one should be enough...

dbhost

Super Active Member
Sep 19, 2018
League City, Texas USA.
I've been working on sewing hanging storage bags this week. I am sooooo bad at it. I need to start simple instead of getting derailed by complicating things...all I needed was sacks so my pots wouldn't bang when hanging during transit, but it escalated.

"Why can't I make this, but in the proportions I need?" says me. https://www.quadratec.com/p/overland-vehicle-systems/canyon-bag-camping-storage-tote

Now I'm back to planning things at my skill level. Yes, a simple sack for the item in the middle...just the one should be enough...

I'm horrible at sewing but can manage a stuff sack or basic equipment covers... That thing is a lot past my comfort zone...

Practice makes perfect though, fabric from old clothes is free, and thread is cheap...

Toedtoes

Super Active Member
May 28, 2018
California
Start with a shoe or sweater hanging unit - cut down to the size you need and attach a pillowcase from the top for the drop down cover.

Susan Premo

Super Active Member
Nov 5, 2020
Minnesota

I dont blame you for trying, the one in the ad is expensive.

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
It's actually not that expensive when you start pricing zippers and things and incorporate that magic "overland" cachet. But, more importantly, it is the wrong size and wouldn't work where I want to mount it. I want to hang kitchen stuff from the internal lift bars in my truck camper while not impacting interior usability while not popped up. So I need to take the various positions of the bars into account. Can't figure out how to mod a sweater shelf for this.

See my trial run with zip ties and pots. Sense my temptation to make something more grand? ...but...all I really have to do is put my kettle in a soft pouch between the pots to soften the bang and I can handle that. (Or a hammock. With dividers. But I also need to be able to reach things when the top is up...)

Yes, I create problems for myself. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20210119_144317.jpg
    IMG_20210119_144317.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 10

dbhost

Super Active Member
Sep 19, 2018
League City, Texas USA.
It's actually not that expensive when you start pricing zippers and things and incorporate that magic "overland" cachet. But, more importantly, it is the wrong size and wouldn't work where I want to mount it. I want to hang kitchen stuff from the internal lift bars in my truck camper while not impacting interior usability while not popped up. So I need to take the various positions of the bars into account. Can't figure out how to mod a sweater shelf for this.

See my trial run with zip ties and pots. Sense my temptation to make something more grand? ...but...all I really have to do is put my kettle in a soft pouch between the pots to soften the bang and I can handle that. (Or a hammock. With dividers. But I also need to be able to reach things when the top is up...)

Yes, I create problems for myself. :)

True, but it is also an opporunity to create solutions.

So for example. If you can to secure the flaps, instead of using zippers, use snaps. They are FAR simpler to install.

To do that thing right, you would need a MUCH beefier machine than I own. I have one of those cheapo chinese desktop models.... It does fine with everything up to what I would consider heavy weight nylon. Not ballistic / webbing nylon, but certainly heavier stuff than they make tents from.... But I digress...

And while this is getting suspiciously close to steering the thread off topic, trust me I am trying to stay on topic / related...

The original post showed a mesh bag with a good assortment of kitchen utensils. The mesh is GREAT for allowing you to wash your utensils, place them in the bag and let them hang dry. Which is fantastic.

However in my experience, mesh bags like grabbing things as you try to insert them in. I have a Coleman Heavy Duty stake kit that uses a mesh bag that I despise as I find the bag useless for actually storing the stakes and most particular the whisk broom and dust pan...

It might not be a bad idea to stitch up a proper stowage bag out of coated nylon with some heavy / pet restant type mesh screen panels for ventilation for the hanging utensils.

I get the thing about the pots hanger. I might if I were interested in doing that project, check out some youtube videos on sewing a shoe or wardrobe organizer as it should be similiar in technique and design. FWIW though, I intentionally selected nesting cookware for exactly this reason. Except for my Cast Iron. Anyway, IF you can at least partially nest your pots use those felt buffers between them, and sew up a storage sack to contain them all. It will at least keep the pans from being strewm from front to back of the camper when you arrive in camp....

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
Good advice, DB! I've been working with 8 oz canvas duck. My machine can handle several layers of that. Velcro instead of zippers. Nylon webbing to look official. Learned that stiff canvas laughs when you try to tighten it with a drawstring. I don't know how one would sew mesh. I'm sure the internet would tell me. I went with the duck because I wanted some muffling.

I did almost buy a set of nesting pots but they weren't the correct sizes. And of course they're nested. I have this dream about grabbing a pot without digging or shuffling. It's a ridiculous dream when you're talking about a camper of this size, but I dare to dream it. Organization in this tiny camper drives me bonkers. I can fit everything. It's just not gonna be accessible.

I had these pots nested under the sink with their handles tucked towards the plumbing, behind some dishes. They're actually the least of my problems in this camper. I can put them back if I have to...

Now I realize that if I hang the dishes, I can use that cabinet space for FOOD! And I'll be able to store clothes in the "pantry" which is supposed to be a 5" wide "wardrobe". Packing cubes already owned, fortunately.

Toedtoes

Super Active Member
May 28, 2018
California
Paper, plastic or corelle dishes?

If paper or plastic, put in a packing cube and hang the cube from its handle. You can open one side zipper to remove a plate as needed. Same with plastic cups - store stacked sideways in the cube, hang from handle, open one zipper end to remove a cup.

If the plates are corelle, you might need to find a way to keep the cube from swinging so the plates don't get hit on the edge (which is when they shatter into a million pieces).

dbhost

Super Active Member
Sep 19, 2018
League City, Texas USA.
Good advice, DB! I've been working with 8 oz canvas duck. My machine can handle several layers of that. Velcro instead of zippers. Nylon webbing to look official. Learned that stiff canvas laughs when you try to tighten it with a drawstring. I don't know how one would sew mesh. I'm sure the internet would tell me. I went with the duck because I wanted some muffling.

I did almost buy a set of nesting pots but they weren't the correct sizes. And of course they're nested. I have this dream about grabbing a pot without digging or shuffling. It's a ridiculous dream when you're talking about a camper of this size, but I dare to dream it. Organization in this tiny camper drives me bonkers. I can fit everything. It's just not gonna be accessible.

I had these pots nested under the sink with their handles tucked towards the plumbing, behind some dishes. They're actually the least of my problems in this camper. I can put them back if I have to...

Now I realize that if I hang the dishes, I can use that cabinet space for FOOD! And I'll be able to store clothes in the "pantry" which is supposed to be a 5" wide "wardrobe". Packing cubes already owned, fortunately.

As far as cookware goes. I have this nesting family size stainless steel cook set. Well in all fair disclosure my set is branded Ozark Trail, but after mixing mine up with some camping friends Texsport set, I can officially say aside from the branding on the bag, it is 100% the same. And Ozark Trail no longer offers them...

81fiyyXTjEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It comes iwth a little blue stuff sack. The pot sizes are 8qt, 6qt, 3qt, and 1qt. The skillet is I think 10.5" ish.... Mind you the metal is thinner than a regular residential set, but with proper flame control they cook well... Not All Clad well, but welll... I did mention I have cast iron skillets right? I mostly use this set for the pots as they are fabulous for cooking up sauces, soups, pasta etc...

To boil my cookware down to what I absolutely need for whipping up a gourmet meal, I would say this cook set, my CI griddle, my CI 10.5" skillet, my Dutch Oven, and CI DO trivet. Oh and of course my percolator / pour over brewer. I use the perc pot SOLELY to heat up water. My wife doesn't drink coffee often so we end up making her tea, and me pour over coffee...

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
Those set are so big though! All I need are two small saucepans (probably 3 and 5qt). I do have a 12 inch skillet that lives under the mattress. No way will that ever fit anywhere convenient so I won't even try.

It's true that I don't need handles. There's nowhere in the camper to move a pan to. :)

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
For storage and ease or transport, i went to milk crates. Now i get the foldable type. Pack them up, move them, when you take your stuff out for set up collapse them and put them under the camper. I still use them in the TT. Easy. Plus they stack, good for clothing.

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
I do love milk crates. I have the maximum that can fit without impeding function--1. It does two very important things. It holds food and it is a step to the bunk (it has a lid). Unlike our popup trailer, the popup truck camper starts small and stays small. :p Everything in this camper must be stowed when it's not being used because there's no setup. It just is what it is. The floor is 2'x5'8". The dog takes half that. (He really prefers that trailer.)