Convert manual crank to electric

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by Dawn DeMatteo-Brennan, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Dawn DeMatteo-Brennan

Dawn DeMatteo-Brennan New Member

Hello, I have owned my 1989 Skamper for 20 years. It's still in the same condition as when I purchased it. In all these years, I have near had to put a dime into my pup other then tires. We decided to start making some upgrades because we were getting bord of the same old thing. My middle son put down a new peel & stick plank flooring grey. Looks great. My oldest son put a new leveling wheel (old one froze up). Our manual crank (wink) started acting up this year. So my oldest son installed a new one from Harbor Freight. It lasted 1 camping trip.(rated for 2000 lbs) Now, my son wants to install an electric winch. Does anyone know what needs to be done or just hook it up? I was also told, it requires a marine battery, is that true?

2. ny_rocking_chairs

ny_rocking_chairs Active Member

Ours came with the electric winch. Don't think there is anything to be done except hook it up but have never installed one.

Yes, our dealer supplied a deep cycle battery. If installing a battery for the first time, probably want a way to charge it when on shore power and/or from vehicle power.

Dawn DeMatteo-Brennan likes this.
  3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Although an electric does not depend on a battery to work it is highly recommend. A marine battery is also recommended.

I have an electric winch on my pup but if it ever goes out, I will replace it with a manual winch. It is nice to have but it is not as reliable as I hoped it would be. It is very temperamental and seems to need a lot of TLC to work properly.

4. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

^^^^^ Agree

5. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

I've been considering adding an electric winch to my '91 Palomino. I don't have batteries on the pup, but do have a long pigtail to the TV. I've not gotten as far as looking up the trailer fuse ratings, but was considering just using the TV power to operate the winch. TV is stock.

Anyone have done this? Or any concerns with this strategy?

Dawn DeMatteo-Brennan likes this.
  6. SgtMass

SgtMass New Member